Offseason moves - Is McLouth the biggest one?

Guest hutch

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You want an honest answer why I am not freaking. Because I trust the opinions of DD and Buck a whole lot more than yours. Guess that's honest enough.

Good, I would hope so considering I don't work for MLB.

As someone that has watched MLB for over 30 seasons, I'd say we need a MOO bat sooner before later.

Again, why this is so controversial, I'll never understand?

MSK

I think Duquette has established his base from which to work. We could go to spring training with the team we have assembled to date and I'd be going in feeling reasonably optimistic despite the apparent loss of Reynolds. I think McLouth/Reimold in LF and Betemit/Valencia or Betemit/Pearce at DH would give you some pretty good platoon options that could be surprisingly effective.

That said, I suspect Duquette would still like to find an upgrade, so I am not sure we are done with the offense. If he signs Saunders, that gives him more flexibility to trade a pitcher to get a bat. He may not want to make a trade before having Saunders or some other vet in the fold.

As someone that has watched MLB for over 30 seasons, I'd say we need a MOO bat sooner before later.

MSK

I'll answer. Because the Orioles have a limited amount of resources that they will devote to the team payroll. Will, not can. You are not going to change that no matter what.

Right now, the roster as constructed allows for some flexibility to add a big bat should we run into one some time. Or to replace a player that should become injured. Perhaps as our big leadoff hitter did. If you belly up to the bar at this point and put all your now and future eggs in one basket, you have what you have. If you miss on it you will live with the pain for at least five years. Wieters and Machado could be done by then.

It is like having a hundred buck you haven't spent yet. Because once you spend it, you have what you have.

MSK

It's not. What is controversial, however, is saying ridiculous things like "Wilson Betemit is unfit to be the DH in 2013(paraphrased)" despite the fact that he hits righties extremely well- almost as well as this mythical "MOO" hitter I keep hearing about(.859 OPS in 2012). Add a solid RH hitter like Scott Hairston or even *gasp* Danny Valencia to compliment him, and problem solved. Roughly a MOO hitter where previously there was none.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say...

The Rays have fielded a competitive team every year since 2008 and their biggest free agent signings have been who? Carlos Pena and Luke Scott?

Though I feel that our team definitely could shell out some serious money, the Orioles can certainly operate in the same way the Rays do and be competitive. It's just not as glamorous.

It's not. What is controversial, however, is saying ridiculous things like "Wilson Betemit is unfit to be the DH in 2013(paraphrased)" despite the fact that he hits righties extremely well- almost as well as this mythical "MOO" hitter I keep hearing about(.859 OPS in 2012). Add a solid RH hitter like Scott Hairston or even *gasp* Danny Valencia to compliment him, and problem solved. Roughly a MOO hitter where previously there was none.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say...

You all do realize that a MOO bat with the same numbers as each strong half of a platoon split is still more valuable than the platoon, right? One spot on the roster, can't run a reliever to pitch to his weakness to get an out, etc.

MSK

The soonest we need one is April. Today is December 5th. One thing I learned about DD last year is that he doesn't stop working to improve the team. He never reaches the point when he says to the manager, "Here's your team. Good luck." I have no doubt that no matter what happens over the next few days, weeks, or even months that he will work to find what the team needs. Our MOO could be in Haiti right now, awaiting a visa. I'm looking forward to seeing the team change over time and throughout the course of the season. I see no reason to complain.

You all do realize that a MOO bat with the same numbers as each strong half of a platoon split is still more valuable than the platoon, right? One spot on the roster, can't run a reliever to pitch to his weakness to get an out, etc.

Sure, but you have to look at it as a cost vs benefit.

Betemit had a 859 vs RHP, and Valencia has a career 831 vs LHP. That's a damn good player, put together, for about 3 million (give or take).

That's basically Paul Konerko from last year. For 3 million.

It means that you have to have options available when they matchup relievers, I'll give you that, but Buck is smart enough to manipulate things to our advantage.

Obviously.

But we aren't going to buy one(if there's even one worth buying- there isn't IMO), and we are unlikely to trade for one so that's largely irrelevant to whether or not Wilson Betemit can be productive as the guy receiving 2/3 of the ABs at DH. For us, a DH platoon is a viable, effective option to improve the offense.

I think Duquette has established his base from which to work. We could go to spring training with the team we have assembled to date and I'd be going in feeling reasonably optimistic despite the apparent loss of Reynolds. I think McLouth/Reimold in LF and Betemit/Valencia or Betemit/Pearce at DH would give you some pretty good platoon options that could be surprisingly effective.

That said, I suspect Duquette would still like to find an upgrade, so I am not sure we are done with the offense. If he signs Saunders, that gives him more flexibility to trade a pitcher to get a bat. He may not want to make a trade before having Saunders or some other vet in the fold.

I agree with this 100%. Those platoon options, when looking at the R/L splits, are

very appealing not to mention the option of having a platoon at first between Davis/Betemit/Pearce.

I love that we re-signed McLouth and really think he will be our everyday LF by seasons end. Speed, great defense, a little bit of pop and at 2 million with incentives built in plus playing for a longer contract next year...Whats not to like? Huge.

I'm pretty sure this signing takes us out of the Swisher and hopefully Morse market. I'm not huge on LaRoche but wouldn't be disappointed if that happened. I agree that DD would still love to add a bat through trade to protect Jones (ie. Butler) and I hope he does.

For me the FA market this year was not as appealing for us to spend big money in. We'll see.

Archived