Wada's Return May Be Sooner than Expected: Showalter

OFFNY

Wada's last year in Japan he was 16-5 with a 1.51 and was the #1 starter on a team that went 88-46. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the O's weren't the only team willing to give him at least an opportunity to show he maybe could start.

Could be. I never heard of another team that viewed him as a starter. Do you remember any?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One big difference. Koji had transitioned to reliever over in Japan for a few years already.

Not quite correct.

He spent 2007 in a bullpen role, collecting 32 saves. In 2008 he only had one save and made 12 starts in his 26 appearances. He and the Giants were at odds in his 2008 season.

Prove it. Absolutely don't remember this at all. They promised Koji a chance to start after he had already stopped starting over in Japan for a few years.

Right. Koji had already converted to the pen in Japan. Wada was the ace starter on a powerhouse Fukuoka team.

But given the media's and fans' tendency to lump Japanese players together I'm sure there was speculation that Koji couldn't start and had trouble with the heat, so this was a consideration for all Japanese pitchers.

Not quite correct.

He spent 2007 in a bullpen role, collecting 32 saves. In 2008 he only had one save and made 12 starts in his 26 appearances. He and the Giants were at odds in his 2008 season.

Yes, they were at odds. Koji thought he could still start, but the Giants management thought otherwise. The Softbank Hawks had absolutely no reservations about starting Wada, since he was, well... their best starter.

Yes, they were at odds. Koji thought he could still start, but the Giants management thought otherwise. The Softbank Hawks had absolutely no reservations about starting Wada, since he was, well... their best starter.

I think there was more to it then that. Like I said he did make 12 starts to include 2 CGs in 2008.

*I seem to recall Koji wanted to come to MLB for the 2008 season and his team refused but I could be very wrong on that.

Wiki reference:

Uehara asserted his preference in public to be transferred to a Major League Baseball team through the posting system. His efforts had been rebuffed by the Yomiuri Giants front office. He was expected to be eligible for free agency in 2007 (but that was postponed to 2008 due to injury). He became eligible for free agency in April 2008.

MSNBC says there was at least one other team RUMORED to be interested.

Nice digging but the question was other teams that were guaranteeing him an opportunity to win a rotation spot. Unfortunately that article doesn't specify the role they were looking at.

He sure hasnt impressed anyone at all. I would be in no rush to bring him up. May run out of time.

Maybe, but I'm not giving up on him. If he agrees to stay in AAA I'll stick with him as long as he's under contract. Remember Adam Wainwright? Last year in his first eight starts after TJ surgery he had a 5.77 ERA. Now he's pretty much the best pitcher in the world, with a K:BB ratio on par with Koji. In mid-May he had two starts where he walked as many batter as he has in all of 2013 so far.

Absolutely no reason to give up on him if they don't need to put him on the MLB team. He is worth a 40 man spot to see if he can get straightened out for later in the season.

I will reiterate that I think he needs to be working out of the pen not starting.

I think innings are much more important. Tons of pitchers first relieved upon promotion to the majors and were good at it.

Agree to disagree. I would rather he learn to throw with maximum effort and pare his four pitches down to two or three.

Anyway he has been down for a month right?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In 6 starts for Wada: 24 1/3 innings, 33 hits, 26 runs, 22 ER, 13 walks, 20 strikeouts, 3 HRs. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23tides">#tides</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think he can get close to 24 innings a month out of the pen :P

Archived