Wada's Return May Be Sooner than Expected: Showalter

OFFNY

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has there been any reports of his velocity?

I remember he was always being compared to Jamie Moyer but I am not sure if they were referring to the 20 year old, 30 year old, or 40 year old Moyer?!? :noidea:

You left out "50 year old Moyer"! :D

I'm not worried about his velocity. But this is a pitcher who succeeds by having great command. In Japan, he averaged 2.36 BB/9. At Norfolk, he's walked 8 batters in 13 innings. Unless that straightens out and Wada can command his repetoire, his velocity is utterly inrrelevant.

When is the decision date on Wada? He's not looking likely to be called up.
His first rehab start at Norfolk was May 16. Seems safe to assume that the decision date is 30 days from there, or June 15.

Yes. And I stated earlier, that would leave him with about 3 starts left (in addition to the 3 that he has already had) before a decision is to be made.

He's gone 4, 4-Plus, and 5 innings respectively in his first 3 starts so far. If he can get it up to 6 complete innings (or more) by his 6th and final rehab start, perhaps Wada himself will look at the bigger picture and agree to stay down at AAA for a few more starts to continue to hone his game, and give himself a better chance at pitching effectively by the time that he pitches in his first major league game.

See Strop. I think if Wada is still struggling he will have a "setback" and be shut down for a week and start a "new" rehab assignment. If he can't pitch in Norfolk he knows he is not going to do well in the majors and needs time to get straightened out.

The big drawback to this is he starts using a 40 man spot soon, so someone will have to leave the island unless we have a long term injury to replace Wada on the 60 day.

Why would he have to suffer a "setback". He can stay down here longer than 30 days as long as he agrees to it and I don't think he wants to come to Baltimore and embarrass himself. It's not like he's not getting paid his MLB salary.

Maybe Drungo can, but I can't remember a bullpen with four lefthanders in it. (not counting expanded rosters)

Depending on the effectiveness of Wada, Patton could be a trade option. He's having a up and down year and hasn't looked great recently. It's nice to have options to say the least.

I am not sure everyone is going to continue to look the other way if the O's fill up the DL with mystery ailment pitchers that need a trip to the minors.

Of course we have no idea how Wada would respond to a move like that.

As I've said before Wada has a clause in his contract that doesn't allow him to be optioned to the minors without his permission. So, we don't even have to waste a DL spot for him if he's ineffective in his rehab assignments by the time his 30 day rehab window is done. I'm sure if he's ineffective he'll want to keep pitching in the minors to right himself.

Some positive things about Wada:

- 8.3 SO/9 in the minors. His career SO/9 is 8.1. So it's translating well to AAA. He can clearly get guys out.

- 9 H/9, not dominating but not getting hit hard. His career in Japan rate was 7.9. He'll get better there

The alarming thing is the walks pure and simple. 8 walks in 13 innings is not going to cut it. That's a walk rate of 5.5. In Japan he had a walk rate of 2.4. If he can get his mechanics back in line, then I think he can pitch in the majors. The question is really longevity. A lot of pitches + a lot of walks = short outings...which is something the Orioles DON'T need. This could ultimately mean 1 of 4 paths for Wada:

- He goes to the rotation once his walks go down knowing full well that he's only good for 5-6IP, a la a #4-#5 starter

- He goes to the bullpen as a long or middle reliever (very possible since we're left handed heavy right now with Matusz, Patton and McFarland)

- He goes back to the minors to work on his walks and stretch himself more

- He gets released

I think the 4th is the least likely. He's on the second year of a 2 year contract with an option for 2014. He's coming off of TJ surgery. He needs time. 3 starts in the minors isn't enough to judge him. I'm not even sure 5 starts is. We'll see.

Option 3 is a possibility, but that's only if his walks aren't under control. I think if his walks aren't under control, Wada will want to work on them and the minors will be the place.

#1 or #2 are entirely dependent on his pitch count/control.

He's a finesse pitcher who relies on command and a deceptive motion. I would like to know if he is just missing his spots, or way out of the zone consistently. If it's the latter then I would be worried about his command. Just looking at his walks doesn't tell me a lot.

He's a finesse pitcher who relies on command and a deceptive motion. I would like to know if he is just missing his spots, or way out of the zone consistently. If it's the latter then I would be worried about his command. Just looking at his walks doesn't tell me a lot.

He's been throwing a lot of pitches. He's around the zone, but mostly hitting his spots. Understandable, really. But we'll see. I think he'll get better. He's usually had just a bad inning or 2 in a game. He'll get better.

He's been throwing a lot of pitches. He's around the zone, but mostly hitting his spots. Understandable, really. But we'll see. I think he'll get better. He's usually had just a bad inning or 2 in a game. He'll get better.
Sounds to me like rust mostly. He is probably used to throwing a lot of pitches from his NPB days.

Sounds to me like rust mostly. He is probably used to throwing a lot of pitches from his NPB days.

I think so, too. It's been a year and some odd months since he's thrown against professional hitters. Getting used to the ebb and flow of a game as well as adjusting to (inconsistent) strike zones takes some time...and I'm not particularly sure 3 starts is enough to really get a feel for where he is. Only 13 inning sample size.

Archived