Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

Seconded. And it should start with a poll asking "Do you like Peter Angelos?" too. That should clear up the straw man argument that those who aren't furious that Hamilton wasn't signed are Angelos supporters.

I don't know Peter Angelos. Can't imagine that we would have a whole lot to talk about if I did. Brady Anderson says he is a good guy, and I always liked Brady. I think Peter has used his money allocated to the Orioles poorly for almost a decade and one half. Starting with the hiring of Andy MacPhail, I think he decided to stay out of the baseball operations for the most part. And our team seems to be better for it. I will he would allocate more of his resources to the team, but a lot of really rich people don't do what I would wish of them.

I am ecstatic that Buck Showalter is our manager. I am ecstatic that Dan Duquette is our GM. I am ecstatic that the Orioles won 96 games last season. I have hopes for the future.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True dat. And obviously, the Chen signing was an absolute stroke of genius. But Cespedes was a whole other level of international free agent, right? I mean... he was the cream of the international free agent crop. I had never really even heard of Chen before we were negotiating with him. My point is, the A's made a very bold free agent move to sign Cespedes. I am growing concerned that we wouldn't even take that bold of a step... even though I believe we must in order to truly compete for the division next year.

The three who got a way, IMO, were 1) Beltre when he signed for 1 year with the Sox, 2) Cespedes who I'd have gone higher for and 3) Sano - ditto.

All three fit well within the budget, IMO, and all three would look good in this org right now. Beltre really makes me mad because the market was clearly depressed due to the economy and, IMO, that's exactly when the O's should have pounced with a typical middle of the road offer. They could have had him, IMO.

In addition to Chen, hopefully one of the ones who didn't get away but turns out to be a real player is Urritra (or however you spell his name).

Exactly. The O's under Peter Angelos are the O's under Peter Angelos. They're going to look for bargains, sign their own (Markakis, Hardy, Jones, Mora, Roberts), and make a few trades. [B]Fortunately, unlike previous GMs, Duquette is literally exploring all avenues to acquire talent, the drafting and scouting should be improved under him, Buck is the best manager this organization has seen since Davey, and there are some actual real prospects in the system knocking on the door.

[/b]

But no amount of fist-shaking on the internet about Peter Angelos is going to make him throw a dumptruck of money at a free agent, whether we like it or not. So put away the pitchfork and use your time more wisely, I say.

I'm just happy that there's finally a pitching program instituted throughout the system, that there's a better focus internationally, and that for the first time in awhile, we're not complaining that the entire organization is broken. A lot of good has been done, some starting with Andy, and continued so far with Dan.

And that's exactly why we have some hope instead of despair like in the past. It's always a bit disappointing when it's clear the Orioles have no intention of signing a major free agent, but it's the reality we live in as long as Angelos owns the Orioles. He saw the Orioles contend on a shoe-string budget and made sure to climb out of his spider hole to take some bows in front of the media in the locker room after the Orioles won a playoff game. Duquette is working under the same constraints as many of the other GMs of the past, but at least Duquette is exploring every avenue to improve the team instead of going for the bargain basement free agents that MacPhail was fond of.

I'm still hopeful he can pull off a meaningful trade to address our MOO issue, but barring that, it looks like he will need to collect more lightening in a bottle in 2013.

I don't know Peter Angelos. Can't imagine that we would have a whole lot to talk about if I did. Brady Anderson says he is a good guy, and I always liked Brady.

Any poll question about PA should seek opinions based on him as an owner, not him as a person in general.

This thread oozes frustration, which is very understandable. Hamilton was really the last chance the Orioles had to address their major need; a legitimate bat for the middle of their lineup, and build upon the momentum they gained last season. On paper they are a worse team then they were last season (Reynolds gone, Saunders gone, Davis playing 1b, etc.) and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a legitimate baseball mind who didn't think they overachieved last season. Would signing Hamilton have been risky? Yes. Is there a chance they would have regretted the move towards the tail end of his contract? Yes. But you can't always sit around waiting for the perfect FA to come along. It's also about timing, and now was the time for them to strike, even more so than last season with all the "sign Fielder" buzz.

All that said, I'll reserve my judgement until opening day. Maybe Double D has a trade up his sleeves, who knows. I personally just don't see it happening, unless something comes completely out of leftfield. The teams we matched up with the best all seemed to have made their moves already.

Saying it over and over again does not make it true. We don't NEED a "MOO" hitter. We had a league average offense last year despite an unusually high number of injuries and down years from Reynolds, Hardy, Andino, Chavez, and to a lesser extent, Weiters. No one's performance looked unsustainable, not even McLouth. Machado should be better, or at least roughly the same. He might even break out.

It would be nice to have but if we fail to repeat our success, the Starting Pitching is the much more likely culprit.

Joe Saunders or Edwin Jackson please.

And that's exactly why we have some hope instead of despair like in the past. It's always a bit disappointing when it's clear the Orioles have no intention of signing a major free agent, but it's the reality we live in as long as Angelos owns the Orioles. He saw the Orioles contend on a shoe-string budget and made sure to climb out of his spider hole to take some bows in front of the media in the locker room after the Orioles won a playoff game. Duquette is working under the same constraints as many of the other GMs of the past, but at least Duquette is exploring every avenue to improve the team instead of going for the bargain basement free agents that MacPhail was fond of.

I'm still hopeful he can pull off a meaningful trade to address our MOO issue, but barring that, it looks like he will need to collect more lightening in a bottle in 2013.

Every offseason brings hope to the fan's that this will be the offseason it changes. I'm more disappointed this year, because the general thought was PA would open the wallet when the team was deemed ready to contend. It's just a bigger slap in the face this year.

At this point, i'd be happy getting Alfonso Soriano if the Cubs ate alot of salary. Be even happier if the O's could get Garza too, if they took on more of Sorianos deal. Not happening though.

Saying it over and over again does not make it true. We don't NEED a "MOO" hitter. We had a league average offense last year despite an unusually high number of injuries and down years from Reynolds, Hardy, Andino, Chavez, and to a lesser extent, Weiters. No one's performance looked unsustainable, not even McLouth. Machado should be better, or at least roughly the same. He might even break out.

It would be nice to have but if we fail to repeat our success, the Starting Pitching is the much more likely culprit.

Joe Saunders or Edwin Jackson please.

If you want to be one of the best teams in the league, you cant be satisfied with league average. This team most certainly does need a MOO, just like it needed one last year. Chris Davis has the potential to be one, but he also is very streaky and could still go the other way. He's no sure thing. The Orioles do not have that 30-35 homer, .350+OBP, .875+ guy that just about every good contending team does. Sure, our pitching staff should improve, and that will help, but we need that bopper to be a serious contender again unless we're hoping that lightning catcher works again next year!

Could care less that we didn't sign Hamilton. Far too big a risk to relapse, IMO. Hope I'm wrong though.

However, I am a little worried about our inability to sign any FA's (well, other than McLouth) and/or make any trades. It's still early, but it seems like most teams have already accomplished a lot.

Archived