Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

If you want to be one of the best teams in the league, you cant be satisfied with league average. This team most certainly does need a MOO, just like it needed one last year. Chris Davis has the potential to be one, but he also is very streaky and could still go the other way. He's no sure thing. The Orioles do not have that 30-35 homer, .350+OBP, .875+ guy that just about every good contending team does. Sure, our pitching staff should improve, and that will help, but we need that bopper to be a serious contender again unless we're hoping that lightning catcher works again next year!

I disagree. The point I was making was that our offense actually underperformed last year and it was still good enough to get us to within a few hits of the ALCS. It should easily be better next year without making any crazy moves like signing Hamilton for $120 million or trading Tillman+ for Billy "No Legs, No Glove" Butler.

Or sacificing a first round pick to sign Swisher or LaRoche.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. The point I was making was that our offense actually underperformed last year and it was still good enough to get us to within a few hits of the ALCS. It should easily be better next year without making any crazy moves like signing Hamilton for $120 million or trading Tillman+ for Billy "No Legs, No Glove" Butler.

Or sacificing a first round pick to sign Swisher or LaRoche.

I still don't how they underperformed. Wieters was around his avgerages. Hardy wasn't that far off. Jones had a career year, as did Davis. I'll give you Nick and Manny. DH will probably produce worse this year, and 2B will still be a hole. Expecting a lot from McLouth and Reimold isn't a good idea imo.

The three who got a way, IMO, were 1) Beltre when he signed for 1 year with the Sox, 2) Cespedes who I'd have gone higher for and 3) Sano - ditto.

All three fit well within the budget, IMO, and all three would look good in this org right now. Beltre really makes me mad because the market was clearly depressed due to the economy and, IMO, that's exactly when the O's should have pounced with a typical middle of the road offer. They could have had him, IMO.

In addition to Chen, hopefully one of the ones who didn't get away but turns out to be a real player is Urritra (or however you spell his name).

Beltre never comes here. Cespedes was a gamble. Sano is a gamble. If you want to take the limited resources that the Orioles are permitted to spend and gamble them, great. You can get some upside that way. It is a legitimate business practice. But you need to be prepared to have those resources in sunk cost as well when you take the longer shot opportunities. Hind sight is always clear.

Beltre never comes here. Cespedes was a gamble. Sano is a gamble. If you want to take the limited resources that the Orioles are permitted to spend and gamble them, great. You can get some upside that way. It is a legitimate business practice. But you need to be prepared to have those resources in sunk cost as well when you take the longer shot opportunities. Hind sight is always clear.

I know where your coming from. Putting a lot of money into one player is a risk. My issue is that PA has shown no desire to put that money elsewhere either.

This is flat out wrong. Please take your straw man home.

Andy MacPhail was the first reputable person that had the ability and the pedigree to rebuild an awful team that would come and take on the challenge.. Dan Duquette was always admired for his intellect. The two of them gave us a team that won 96 games last season. We can question this when the results stink again.

I know where your coming from. Putting a lot of money into one player is a risk. My issue is that PA has shown no desire to put that money elsewhere either.

And you and I have NO ability to influence that behavior one bit. I have chosen to be happy with whatever successes the Orioles ever have for the rest of my life. You might make different life choices.

I still don't how they underperformed. Wieters was around his avgerages. Hardy wasn't that far off. Jones had a career year, as did Davis. I'll give you Nick and Manny. DH will probably produce worse this year, and 2B will still be a hole. Expecting a lot from McLouth and Reimold isn't a good idea imo.

Reynolds and Andino both massively underperformed for most of the season. Flaherty could barely hit his weight until late in the season. We had no depth of RH hitters so Betemit got almost 100 PAs vs. LHPs. Hardy's AVG, OBP, and SLG were all down like 30 or more points from his career norms. Chavez was useless. Nick Johnson went 0 for April. Nick missed almost 60 games. Reimold missed all but a few weeks.

There's plenty of reasons to think the offense, as is, will be better next year than it was last year.

In order to improve on offense we have do beat these numbers:

C .729 OPS

1B .774

2B .596

3B .729

SS .674(Hardy career ave. .740 OPS)

LF .694

CF .846

RF .815

DH .730 With Betemit getting the brunt of AB vs RHP, DH should be much improved. I also look for improvements at 2B, LF, SS, C, and most likely 3B as well. 1B and CF could take a step back but a healthy Nick could put up a .860 OPS or better.

It shows cognitive dissonance to say that Hardy at 670 OPS was not far off from his career average of 740 while also claiming that two 26 year-olds who exceeded their career averages by less of a delta had "career years".

It shows cognitive dissonance to say that Hardy at 670 OPS was not far off from his career average of 740 while also claiming that two 26 year-olds who exceeded their career averages by less of a delta had "career years".

The Orioles are not done. The After Christmas sales are always more sensible. There are just less 100 million dollar men available then.

Hardy has had a sub .720 OPS (Including three under .700) in 5 of his 8 seasons. Two seasons with an OPS over .800 does wonders for a career average obviously.

Either way, Jones and Davis had the best seasons of their careers up to this point. How can that be considered underachieiving?

Hardy has had a sub .720 OPS (Including three under .700) in 5 of his 8 seasons. Two seasons with an OPS over .800 does wonders for a career average obviously.

Either way, Jones and Davis had the best seasons of their careers up to this point. How can that be considered underachieiving?

Because almost the entirety of the rest of the offense underacheived.

The $196MM invested in Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis, and Adam Jones says hello.

Wow,three major moves. It's pretty common to lock up your own. Even the Rays, Pirates, Rockies, and Royals do it. The motivation to do so, is usually fuel by a desire to save money in the long run. The three you named just happened to be the "face" of the franchise when they were given their extensions. Got to sell some tickets atleast.

And you and I have NO ability to influence that behavior one bit. I have chosen to be happy with whatever successes the Orioles ever have for the rest of my life. You might make different life choices.

My whole life isn't based on the success or failure of the Orioles. Whether what I say changes anything or not, it's still my right as a fan to voice my displeasure. Complaining doesn't influence Washington D.C. either, but that doesn't stop anyone from doing it. Some are just content with whatever crumble of success we can get from this team, that for the most part of two decades, hasn't given us much to be happy about. Yet, here we are still discussing this team.

Archived