Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the biggest things we do around here is compare our team to others that are nowhere near in the same situation as us.

-We know we can't compete with the Yanks/Sox/Angels/Rangers when it comes to spending (in fact it would be probably be unwise to even try)

-Toronto had a good depth of talent in the minors and money to spend

-Tampa has the depth we are seeking but not there yet

So, other teams making moves shouldn't be an indictment on us. We have to do our own thing. Hopefully in 5 years we can be a Tampa with more money to spend. I think we are making nice strides in this direction from a development and scouting standpoint (JMO, not exactly an expert on what's going on in these areas).

If you have been watching, you know that we have attempted those trades, and were turned down. To get the players we have targeted, the other teams were demanding Bundy or Machado. I agree with DD for saying no to that. To whine and cry that we haven't traded Arietta or Britton for Shields or Dickey makes no sense, since we know as a fact that the other teams involved would not make such a trade. It takes two teams having a meeting of the minds to complete a trade, regardless of how much some fans may want the trade to happen.

I wasn't suggesting that we could have gotten Dickey or Shields without giving up Bundy or Machado. But we have other needs that can be filled without acquiring front line talent--we need a right handed corner bat (I mean one that can actually hit, and no that doesn't include Danny Valencia); we need a second baseman. Even if we aren't pulling off a blockbuster trade, we should be making one or two smaller trades that clear off some of our young pitching surplus and convert it to something we can use. Maybe that will still happen.

Look over some of the posts from this weekend. The phrase "I'm okay with what we have" popped up multiple times.

I love the Orioles. Abhor the FO.

No one wants you to hate the Orioles, I just can't stand the ultra-conservative manner in which they operate every off season. I.E. Wait until all the good players are signed and then pick from the scrapheap. That is simply not a recipe for sustained success. I.E. Who ends up in the playoffs year after year (teams that spend money).

MSK

You say you understand Angelos is the problem, so why the issue with DD?

Look over some of the posts from this weekend. The phrase "I'm okay with what we have" popped up multiple times.

I love the Orioles. Abhor the FO.

No one wants you to hate the Orioles, I just can't stand the ultra-conservative manner in which they operate every off season. I.E. Wait until all the good players are signed and then pick from the scrapheap. That is simply not a recipe for sustained success. I.E. Who ends up in the playoffs year after year (teams that spend money).

MSK

Well, what's the big deal about bringing back a 93 win team largely intact? Hypothetically, if Opening Day were tomorrow and this was the team that we have to root for...is it that big of a deal?

You're overlooking the fact that this team got better as the season went on, with one of our best all around players on the DL, someone who was smoking hot with the bat. This team scored more runs than it allowed in August and September.

The offense got better...the pitching got better. The defense got better.

I know the idea of standing pat and being reasonably happy with it is absolutely preposterous to you but bringing back a team that got consistently better over the course of a season might not be the worst thing in the world. Hell, the best might be ahead.

Here's the rub. Duquette should have had a sense they weren't going to be able to address their needs via trades by November. And with a few very rare posible trade scenarios (i.e., Stantion) I don't think trading Dundy or Machado makes sense for the Orioles. That said, Duquette should have gone into the winter meeting with a clear game plan to address the team's needs via free agency, yet the Orioles weren't seriously linked to a single pending free agent. Which leads me to one of two conclusions. Duquette is either flying by the seat of pants or Angelos is still reluctant to open up his check book. Either way something is still broken in the front office.

The Orioles had a great season last year, and the fans rewarded the team (and the owner) by coming out to the staidum in droves. They bought merchandise, food, tuned in to watch on MASN, etc. Making no effort to sustain or further the success of the team in 2013 is an insult to every fan who drank from the communal cup of orange kool-aid.

Well, what's the big deal about bringing back a 93 win team largely intact? Hypothetically, if Opening Day were tomorrow and this was the team that we have to root for...is it that big of a deal?

You're overlooking the fact that this team got better as the season went on, with one of our best all around players on the DL, someone who was smoking hot with the bat. This team scored more runs than it allowed in August and September.

The offense got better...the pitching got better. The defense got better.

I know the idea of standing pat and being reasonably happy with it is absolutely preposterous to you but bringing back a team that got consistently better over the course of a season might not be the worst thing in the world. Hell, the best might be ahead.

Take away they're ridiculous record in extra innings games last season and that team doesn't make the playoffs. There's no doubt the team has a good foundation, but they're not good enough to sit idly by, while the other teams in their division make efforts to improve their rosters.

That's not what I said.

I said that there are people who keep saying we will be okay as we are. And you cannot deny how many posters have said that over the last week or so.

We are nowhere near being where we need to be in order to contend in 2013.

MSK

Hammel

Chen

Gonzalez

Tillman

Give me your predictions of the ERA of those 4 pitchers next year....

Are LaRoche or Swisher big enough upgrades to be worth giving up our first round pick?

Yeah, I think I would be fine with the O's getting a known commodity in Swisher for a first round pick. We've got a good team --- his bat, ability to play first and OF, and his veteran experience might really help.

A first round pick could easily turn into nothing.

Yeah, I think I would be fine with the O's getting a known commodity in Swisher for a first round pick. We've got a good team --- his bat, ability to play first and OF, and his veteran experience might really help.

A first round pick could easily turn into nothing.

Swisher is 32, will require a 4 year commitment at around $60 million or more total, and isn't a great player. Good, but not great. It's very possible that 2 years into the deal, his bat speed drops off and he goes from being a good everyday player to little more than a decent backup- a $15 million dollar backup that cost us a first round pick.

His career average OPS is .828(.837 in 2012). I can easily see Betemit and a solid RH platoon partner putting up fairly similar production for a one year commitment at $3 or 4 million total, and without costing us that first round pick.

So I guess we can't make a push for Swisher either. Wow. This is getting out of hand.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/indians-making-push-for-nick-swisher.html

The Indians are making a push to sign free agent outfielder Nick Swisher, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). The Indians were in "aggressive pursuit" of Swisher last week after trading right fielder Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati in a three-team deal. Earlier in the month the Indians had reportedly been hoping to sign Swisher for four years and $48-50MM.

As of last week, multiple teams continued pursuing Swisher and he didn't appear to be close to deciding on a new team. The Red Sox, Phillies, Mariners, Rangers, and Orioles have also been linked to the switch-hitting MVP Sports Group client this winter.

Swisher ranked sixth on MLBTR's top 50 free agent list. He obtained a qualifying offer from the Yankees, which means he's linked to draft pick compensation.

4/55 and the deal is done. I can't imagine they couldn't find that in their "limited" budget.

MSK

Archived