This could be a big week for the O's acquisitions

wildcard

Although the warehouse is closed this week, the state of the free agent market could make this a busy week for DD and staff. Two things are cooking;

1) Saunders appears to be the next starter domino to fall. (or at least one of the next). With Liriano signing, Saunders market is pretty well established. Teams that still need pitching have very few starters in the $6-8M range to pursue. Things could start happening with Saunders.

2) The Nats have asked LaRoche to make a decision but Jan 1st. That does not mean he will but the Nats could move on and decide to go with Morse/Moore if LaRoche does not move. If the Nats decide to spend the money they are reserving for LaRoche, his options will be limited. That could make him move.

So, maybe we see some action this week. What do you think the odds are?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although the warehouse is closed this week, the state of the free agent market could make this a busy week for DD and staff. Two things are cooking;

1) Saunders appears to be the next starter domino to fall. (or at least one of the next). With Liriano signing, Saunders market is pretty well established. Teams that still need pitching have very few starters in the $6-8M range to pursue. Things could start happening with Saunders.

2) The Nats have asked LaRoche to make a decision but Jan 1st. That does not mean he will but the Nats could move on and decide to go with Morse/Moore if LaRoche does not move. If the Nats decide to spend the money they are reserving for LaRoche, his options will be limited. That could make him move.

So, maybe we see some action this week. What do you think the odds are?

I wonder if the Nats would move Moore at all. I know he is younger and would cost more in a trade, but I would rather have him. Though I have heard nothing of the likes of the Nats wanting to move him. But with Harper, Span, and Werth along with either Laroche or Morse, there may not be room for him.

I wonder if the Nats would move Moore at all. I know he is younger and would cost more in a trade, but I would rather have him. Though I have heard nothing of the likes of the Nats wanting to move him. But with Harper, Span, and Werth along with either Laroche or Morse, there may not be room for him.

Moore is much more likely to be kept by the Nats because of his low salary and he is under teams control for many years. Morse is more likely to be traded because of his salary and being eligible to be a FA after the season if LaRoche is signed.

Moore is much more likely to be kept by the Nats because of his low salary and he is under teams control for many years. Morse is more likely to be traded because of his salary and being eligible to be a FA after the season if LaRoche is signed.

Yea that's probably most likely.

This whole LaRoche thing to the Nats really mystifies me. They shouldn't sign him. Period. They have both Morse and Rendon pounding on the door at 3B for depth who they will have to work around if they sign the oft injured, often under performing slugger. Yeah, I get he had a great year for you in your "magical" season, but he isn't a fit for your organization going forward. I understand the fans having an attatchment and wanting him back, but I'm really confused why the front office is actually seriously considering him for their future plans. It would be the worst "contract extension" since they locked up Dimitri Young.

This whole LaRoche thing to the Nats really mystifies me. They shouldn't sign him. Period. They have both Morse and Rendon pounding on the door at 3B for depth who they will have to work around if they sign the oft injured, often under performing slugger. Yeah, I get he had a great year for you in your "magical" season, but he isn't a fit for your organization going forward. I understand the fans having an attatchment and wanting him back, but I'm really confused why the front office is actually seriously considering him for their future plans. It would be the worst "contract extension" since they locked up Dimitri Young.

Who said they are wise? I think they got fortunate in the back to back #1s. Can Rendon play third base with his injuries?

Aren't they still paying Dimitri?

If you recall I posted part of an article written in the Post I believe a few weeks ago about Davey johnson being president of LaRoches fan club (slight exaggeration) and how he assigned LaRoche to basically police Bryce Harper during his rookie season. On road trips he basically shadowed Harper for DJ. It was interesting reading this and the open comments Johnson made about his dual role with the team. Could LaRoche help any of the Orioles young players? The photo below shows Bryce, his girfriend and Santa. It doesn't look like Bryce will need Laroche shadowing him anymore.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1921621/A-_s6ktCEAABGiw.jpg

If you recall I posted part of an article written in the Post I believe a few weeks ago about Davey johnson being president of LaRoches fan club (slight exaggeration) and how he assigned LaRoche to basically police Bryce Harper during his rookie season. On road trips he basically shadowed Harper for DJ. It was interesting reading this and the open comments Johnson made about his dual role with the team. Could LaRoche help any of the Orioles young players? The photo below shows Bryce, his girfriend and Santa. It doesn't look like Bryce will need Laroche shadowing him anymore.

Well that certainly casts some light on the subject.

To weams, sure the injury factor could limit Rendon but it's not like they don't have depth elsewhere. For the OF, they have Werth, Harper and now Span to play full time. There is no moving either of them for the next 5 years. At the corners, you have Zimmerman with Morse (in a contract year) and Rendon looking for a spot to play. Morse (who is good enough to play full time) would be a bench guy if LaRoche is signed. Plus, if Rendon gets hot and needs to be brought up quickly, they would have to move Zimmerman to 1B (his ultimate destination). As it is, they already have a log jam for this year if Rendon needs to be called up. All that can go away in 2014 by not signing Morse and simply starting Zimm at 1B and Rendon at 3B.

Sign LaRoche, and now you have trade Rendon plus keep an aging declining Zimmerman at 3B. It just doesn't make sense.

...and no, Dimitri is no longer on the Nats payroll ;) but he enjoyed getting payed 5M for sitting out the 2009 season.

Hopefully no other team gets desperate and gives Saunders the 3-4 year deal he wants.... if not he will sign with us most likely.

Kudos to Saunders' agent if he gets three years. I bet his agent has our offer and is looking to see if anyone else will offer more $ or years. If there is a team out there that will then good luck. Keep the money and go sign LaRoche and eat the pick

Holy crap Harper looks like a douche in that picture.

Sorry if that offends anyone but I feel like that had to be acknowledged. Yikes.

Kudos to Saunders' agent if he gets three years. I bet his agent has our offer and is looking to see if anyone else will offer more $ or years. If there is a team out there that will then good luck. Keep the money and go sign LaRoche and eat the pick

I'd rather keep the pick and the money we'd be more than likely over-paying him in his age 34 and 35 seasons.

Archived