Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earl was moneyball before moneyball was a thing. A true visionary, and a HELL of a manager. I've read his books, incredible insight.

Wow.

If there is a heaven, and he doesn't get in, the entire afterlife should be played under protest, and the pearly gates should have dirt kicked all over them.

Weaver was traveling on an Orioles fantasy cruise in the Caribbean when he collapsed in his room with wife, Maryanne, at his side on the cruise's ship at about 2 a.m. Saturday, the New York Daily News reported.
source - ESPN
Palmer said that he heard of Weaver’s death at 3:30 a.m. Saturday from former Orioles pitcher Scotty McGregor. McGregor was on the same Orioles-theme cruise with Weaver. “I didn’t get much restful sleep after that,” Palmer said.
source - The Sun

The Earl of Baltimore, along with a few others, made it easy for a kid in Virginia to latch on to the O's at a very

early age even though the Senators were a lot closer and easier for his dad to attend games with him :) Many memories

of Earl, all great...even the tantrums which to an O's fan were kinda comical. RIP, Earl, your family and all O's fans are

in my prayers today.

Earl was a visionary manager and one of the best shows in baseball kicking dirt and turning his hat around backwards at old Memorial!! Rest in Peace and share stories up there with Mark Belanger, Elrod, Flanny and others. Extra special kudos to Orioles for having the statues installed last year!!! Fantastic, fantastic organization decision!!

On my tombstone just write, 'The sorest loser that ever lived.'

-Earl Weaver

When someone is 82 you know they'd not going to be here forever, but it still sucks when the end comes. When I was a kid Earl was my hero. It was the time of Earl and Billy Martin and John McEnroe, and I thought umpires were there to be aggressively convinced to see your point of view. So I was kind of a jerk in backyard baseball. Earl was 5' 4", and it took me until sophomore or junior year of high school to pass him. I really identified with Earl. Guess it's good I didn't start chain smoking Lucky Strikes.

On my first date in high school I remember trying to make conversation with the girl, and mentioned I was reading Weaver on Strategy. Despite the fact she was an O's fan you can guess how the date turned out... :(

I obsessively played Earl Weaver Baseball on the computer for years. To this day I'll occasionally refer to the computer manager on OOTP as "Earl".

I had some knowledge of Earl's genius from the media discussions of his platooning and index cards. It wasn't until I started reading Bill James at 15 that I realized there was this whole other world of how to look at baseball, and that Earl pretty much grasped that by intuition. Earl wasn't right about everything, but he was right about a lot when most other teams and managers were stuck in baseball's dark ages.

I went to Cooperstown in '96 to see him inducted. As I would do for Eddie and Cal. Very glad I did that.

It's a sad day when one of your personal heroes passes.

Archived