Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have the words to properly express my adulation for the man or my sadness over his passing.

I'd like to think that he and Cal Sr. are up there together again, showing heaven a thing or two about how the game should be managed, taught and played.

Goodbye, Earl, and Godspeed. You were the greatest. Give 'em hell up there, skip.

Just got off work and logged into my computer and my homepage brings it up. I just went to tears. I remeber many a summer night watching him. My favorite memory is one time he went balastic on an umpire. My Dad was rolling in the aisle laughing. He said, He is a great manager but also an entertainer." I will always remember that. My son could see the tears in my eyes and tell it bothered me when I told him.

I am glad someone posted about the tomatoes because I forgot about that till I saw that. Thank you for posting that.

Godspeed Earl, I will miss you and cherish the times I saw you. You were almost like family.

My Dad was not a big baseball fan, he was a football fan and I inherited that from him, but he simply didn't care much for baseball. (He told me once he went to a game where Warren Spahn didn't allow any hits and found it extremely boring).

Now, that's funny! How 'bout that, a no-hitter! Ho-hum.

While this is sad news, I'm happy that Earl Weaver was able to be honored last summer. The Earl Weaver quote that has been sticking in my head all day was the one that he made in reference to Mike Cuellar being banished to the bullpen during the 1974 season. Cuellar was upset that he was taken out of the rotation in late May and had voiced his displeasure with the press. When he was asked about Cuellar's comments, Weaver responded by saying " I gave Cuellar more chances than my ex-wife."

One of the very best managers of all time. Right up there with McGraw and McCarthy and Bobby Cox and so forth. And he was a civic institution in Baltimore. I will miss him. He made me proud to be an Orioles fan and proud to be from Maryland.

From that^^^^

Weaver on outs: "There are only three an inning, and they should be treasured. It's such a basic fact that fans sometimes forget it, but an inning doesn't last 15 minutes or six batters or 20 pitches; it lasts three outs. Give one away and you're making everything harder for yourself."

-- Weaver on Strategy

Archived