Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just came on the site to see this. It really made me quite sad. This past Christmas I gave my Dad a copy of Weaver on Strategy because he had taught me the game growing up and Weaver had the been the manager of the Orioles when he first introduced me to the team. I will always love the Orioles but never have the connection that I had with 70's World Series Championship team that beat the Reds under his leadership. He was fiery at times, but I remember that wry smile you could see on his face sometimes if you looked in the dugout. Like he knew something that everyone else hadn't quite figured out yet.

Well, of course he had.

Earl was a brilliant manager. I loved how he stuck to the 4 man rotation after other teams had gone to 5. He was a master at getting the most out of his bench, and you always felt like you would win a close game. You knew Earl could get a great matchup at the key time of the game. My favorite Weaver momemt came in a Weaver/Billy Martin clash at Memorial Stadium. After a hotly disputed play, the PA announcer said "Billy Martin is playing the game under protest. Earl Weaver is protesting Billy Martin's protest". I can still hear the fans calling him out on to the field after we lost the last game of 82. May he rest in peace.

He will live forever.

[video=youtube;QWQbN0jFo_k]

In case you somehow don't know what this is, NSFW.

"Well Don Stanhouse was an [expletive deleted]! He had us in trouble, had the [expletive deleted] bases loaded, [expletive deleted] almost every [expletive deleted] time he went out there. He liked to ruin MY health smokin' cigarettes and thank God we got Timmy Stoddard comin' in outta da bullpen right now stickin' the bat up their asses! And that's what it takes."

"Team speed [expletive deleted]! You get [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] little fleas on the [expletive deleted] bases, gettin' picked off, tryin' to steal, gettin' thrown out, takin' runs away from you. Ya get dem big [expletive deleted] that can hit the [expletive deleted] ball outta da ballpark and ya can't make any [expletive deleted] mistakes." - Earl

Earl's combination of brilliance, showmanship, humor, determination, candidness, and loyalty was a great role model--one of the most important ones during my childhood in Baltimore. I am very saddened to hear this news--and regret never having summoned enough courage to go up and thank him in person.

From some of Earl's comments last year, it seemed like he felt that his great legacy would be revived by Buck Showalter. May it victoriously come to be so!

This is how we should remember Earl.

[video=youtube;kl-4FSRYagc]

WAY NSFW btw. :P

To me, one of the best parts about this clip is that Earl is that fired up... on the second batter of the game. There's no outs

in the top of the first and one man on base.

RIP Earl. I grew up watching you in hundreds of games at Memorial Stadium and it was always entertaining. My Mom used to call you the Little Banny Rooster. I still don't know what that means. But you knew the game inside and out and hated to lose. My kind of guy.

I'll never forget the game you forfeited. That takes a set of brass one's.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19770915&id=-QpPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YAIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6893,3342243

I don't really know what to add to this thread, but I feel I have to at least put a few thoughts in.

My Dad was not a big baseball fan, he was a football fan and I inherited that from him, but he simply didn't care much for baseball. (He told me once he went to a game where Warren Spahn didn't allow any hits and found it extremely boring). So I had to pick up being a big baseball fan on my own. Growing up around here in the 70s, of course, it wasn't hard to do. I'd listen to all the games on the radio, just like everybody else did back then, and I'd listen to Earl on the pregame show. I probably learned more about the game listening to those pregame shows than from any other source.

I have no memory of the Orioles before Earl, and precious few memoris of winning teams since he left (especially if you think of the 1983 as "Earl's Guys" because they pretty much all came up under Earl). He was a winner, and of course he could be an angry man with the umpires, but he also had a sense of humor and a sensitive side. He loved baseball, and he loved Baltimore. He was an Oriole until the end, every time he was interviewed it was clear that he was still down there in Florida watching all the games and rooting for the team, and I'm glad at least that he could be with his wife and surrounded by Oriole fans as he was on the cruise when he died.

Archived