Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

Why haven't we pulled a deal?

In my opinion, Kubel is overrated, overpaid and would cost a good amount in a trade. No thanks.

And Arizona is holding on to him now that they have dealt Upton. I would say that we dodged a bullet, but I don't think we had much interest in the first place.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion, Kubel is overrated, overpaid and would cost a good amount in a trade. No thanks.

And Arizona is holding on to him now that they have dealt Upton. I would say that we dodged a bullet, but I don't think we had much interest in the first place.

I wish I could find Al Leiter's remarks from last night. His point was that we didn't have the bats to go all the way, especially in the DH position. I wonder how many of you bothered to check out the link I posted above to see why there was interest in Kubel in the first place?

MSK

I am hoping for the advancement of Machado and a solid year from Reimold. The problem that we faced in the ALDS was that AJ, David and Wieters were all pressing and wound up choking when we needed them most. There was no cool-headed thumper in the lineup ready to to get those RBIs in tight situations.

Thome should have done more, if we had only gotten him 6 years ago. Markakis not being there also was a major problem. I just believe that we still need a solid bat and a TOR to go all the way in 2013.

MSK

You would alter your offseason strategy based on a 5 game sample size? Or did you want a MOO before the Playoffs and are using results from a small sample to justify your want?

I wish I could find Al Leiter's remarks from last night. His point was that we didn't have the bats to go all the way, especially in the DH position. I wonder how many of you bothered to check out the link I posted above to see why there was interest in Kubel in the first place?

MSK

Yes there was interest but DD wasn't offering much. There is a link out there talkin about how Kubel isn't really an upgrade, which is true.

I am hoping for the advancement of Machado and a solid year from Reimold. The problem that we faced in the ALDS was that AJ, David and Wieters were all pressing and wound up choking when we needed them most. There was no cool-headed thumper in the lineup ready to to get those RBIs in tight situations.

Thome should have done more, if we had only gotten him 6 years ago. Markakis not being there also was a major problem. I just believe that we still need a solid bat and a TOR to go all the way in 2013.

MSK

I agree with your points, but I disagree with the conclusion that you draw from them.

Is Josh Hamilton a cool-headed thumper? (.227/.295/.424 career in postseason)

Is Nick Swisher? (.169/.283/.305 career in postseason)

MSK

I didn't click on the link, but I doubt that there is anything new from Leiter that has not already been extensively discussed here.

Would I like another bat? Sure. But I am not going to make a deal, just to make a deal. Kubel had a solid year last year, but is he going to do that again? I don't know. It was his best power year at 30, and his splits were much better at home in Arizona, much like Upton. He hit .253 and plays poor defense. I doubt I would want to give up what Arizona would want in a deal.

If Reimold can somehow play a full season, he probably gives you more than Kubel would without having to give up prospects. I know that Reimold is coming off a pretty serious injury, but let's not act like Kubel is a rock either, he has had injury problems of his own.

But all of this is wasted breath, because it is not going to happen. He is staying with Arizona.

MSK

Not trying to be a smart ass but how exactly does Al Leiter now about hitting? It is his opinion. Which is fine but

I believe people need to realize what the cost to the O's would be. That goes for the likes of Al Leiter.

The O's simply can not afford to trade Bundy, Manny plus for a MOO. Doing that would screw up the

future of the team. IMO

Before the Upton trade had gone through, I saw a couple of reports on Kubel and the Orioles. Looks like we won't be trading for anyone and we've officially stood pat in this off season.

I am not going to get into the ownership etc. I only wonder why we haven't done anything thus far. Last night, Al Leiter discussed the need for a MOO-bat for the Orioles and how they should go into the trade market before it's too late.

I can't find that report as it came on at 11pm EST on 1/23, but this is the other report on Kubel. Why haven't we pulled a deal?

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25569991&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

MSK

This just goes to show that you're more interested in making a deal than in improving the team. Kubel at 7.5 million isn't nearly as good as what we currently have.

MSK

Or maybe we don't think that Al Leiter's word is gospel!?!

The O's simply can not afford to trade Bundy, Manny plus for a MOO. Doing that would screw up the

future of the team. IMO

I don't think anyone is advocating giving up that package for Kubel. But to be honest, I would not even want to go a rung lower on the prospect scale for Kubel. We are top heavy in prospects in the system and cannot really afford to deal them unless it is really a move that puts us over the top for a while. That is not a guy like Kubel.

This just goes to show that you're more interested in making a deal than in improving the team. Kubel at 7.5 million isn't nearly as good as what we currently have.

Completely untrue. I haven't said anything that would weaken the team.

I don't believe I've ever said that we should "make a deal for the sake of making a deal."

I've said that I believe we need a solid bat in the middle of the lineup so we can go all the way in 2013. I don't see how those two statements are confused.

MSK

By the way, since MSK is quoting MLBN as gospel, they discussed the top prospects on each team in the AL East last night. The Orioles and Rays are loaded. The Sox are decent. The Yanks are scarce, and the Jays have nothing. Everybody is predicting the Jays to win the East, but if they suffer any injuries at all, they are in trouble!

Archived