Do you think Adam Jones would willingly move from CF if we got someone better?

Frobby

Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?

• Yes, he's a team player and would willingly do what Buck asks
    • No, he has a big enough ego where he'd openly resent the move
    • It would depend who the other CF was

For the next few years, I don't see him being willing to move at all. He's just won a gold glove which somewhat legitimizes him at the position. Maybe in a few years if he has some disappointing seasons with errors and/or some advanced metrics, he might then be willing to move aside if some young hotshot defensive wiz comes along. But not now, not this season.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you only make that ask if the player coming in was worth it, and at that point he would say yes.

I think the more interesting question would be who would that player be? Kemp or Hamilton would be better in Left. I don't think the move would happen for a defensive CF. Jones is "the best player on the team" and if someone is going to come in and move him to LF, that person better be up there in the top 2 (maybe 3) in offensive categories.

I'd like to think yes. I know it's popular to think that Jones has an overinflated ego, and maybe he does, but his past behavior doesn't indicate to me that he'd put himself before the team in a case like this where another CF was coming in, especially if that CF had a great defensive reputation like Bourn.

Has he ever been directly asked about how he'd feel about a position switch?

I don't want to say flat out 'no', but I can't imagine him being a-okay with the move. I don't know if Bourn hanging around on the FA market has anything to do with the poll, but I'm not sure Bourn is the caliber of player Jones would accomidate williingly.

For the next few years, I don't see him being willing to move at all. He's just won a gold glove which somewhat legitimizes him at the position. Maybe in a few years if he has some disappointing seasons with errors and/or some advanced metrics, he might then be willing to move aside if some young hotshot defensive wiz comes along. But not now, not this season.

When Jones is 29 or 30 I HOPE his attitude is amiable to the idea. It will likely be what's best for all parties. Espeically if Jone's OPS keeps increasing.

I don't want to say flat out 'no', but I can't imagine him being a-okay with the move. I don't know if Bourn hanging around on the FA market has anything to do with the poll, but I'm not sure Bourn is the caliber of player Jones would accomidate williingly.

I don't think Jones would be cool with it either.

I do think, based purely on numbers, the team is better with Jones in LF, Bourne in CF, and Reimold/McLouth the backups. However, I agree with Frobby, Jones will probably not move willingly and this would likely turn any statistical projections upside down.

I would not ask Adam to move for Bourn. I would ask Bourn to patrol LF. Adam has earned the right to be our CF and I would bet my paycheck Buck would feel the same. Ya have to admit Buck is loyal and that Adam is this teams leader/motivator. Unless the new guy is some superstar hotshot CF'er then Adam stays where he is.

When Jones is 29 or 30 I HOPE his attitude is amiable to the idea. It will likely be what's best for all parties. Espeically if Jone's OPS keeps increasing.

I don't think Jones would be cool with it either.

I do think, based purely on numbers, the team is better with Jones in LF, Bourne in CF, and Reimold/McLouth the backups. However, I agree with Frobby, Jones will probably not move willingly and this would likely turn any statistical projections upside down.

I think so, too. I would be all for this, but I don't see it happening.

The FO and management think highly of adam jones defensively at CF. That was one of the factors that played into resigning him to a huge deal and they stated that when his deal was announced. I don't think he disproved it for the remainder of the season, even though he made some mistakes, he still continued to show incredible range. I doubt they'll move him in the near future, but I could see it happening if he gets signed to another deal.

You see, I'd say asking Jones to make this move would be risking messing with the team chemistry.

Yeah, I'm confused, I thought your definition of "chemistry" involved putting ego aside and making sacrafices for the betterment of the team, and not just being happy.

In all seriousness, I think Jones might be more amenable to moving than in the past. He has a secure contract now. Obviously that involves a process: Running it by him in advance, showing him why it benefits the team, opening up a respectful dialogue etc. I think Bourne could be a huge addition for us (and it looks like he could come cheap and/or on a short term deal), but that only makes sense if Bourne is in CF imo.

Archived