Do you think Adam Jones would willingly move from CF if we got someone better?

Frobby

Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?

• Yes, he's a team player and would willingly do what Buck asks
    • No, he has a big enough ego where he'd openly resent the move
    • It would depend who the other CF was

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

What has AJ done that would make anyone assume that he would be disruptive in this situation? The only time I see him PO'd is when we lose...or talking about the MFYs or Sawx fans coming into OPACY. Of course he has an ego, and of course he wouldn't be happy about moving unless it was a "no doubt" move, but I also believe that he would not allow it to go outside Buck's office. The reason I have said, since Buck was hired, that AJ would be an all-star is that I saw a lot of the no-nonsense, be prepared and let's win attitude... to some that may be cocky or egotistical - to me, they are attributes that this young man is growing into. This includes him signing long term and taking it upon himself to be a leader and a sincere drive/commitment to the O's and the city... sort of like the old days.

If Bourne were to end up in LF, it might not be that ridiculous.

True, but the premise here would presumably be signing Bourn to play CF and moving Jones to LF. I don't think anyone is going to sign Bourn to play LF. Bourn has been a 4-6 Win player over the last 4 years. Nate McClouth would never sniff that kind of value.

True, but the premise here would presumably be signing Bourn to play CF and moving Jones to LF. I don't think anyone is going to sign Bourn to play LF. Bourn has been a 4-6 Win player over the last 4 years. Nate McClouth would never sniff that kind of value.

Yeah, absoloutely. Lets hope DD wouldn't be that dumb.

no don't like bourne.... he's just a rich man's nate mcclouth..
This is laughable.

This line of logic has come up at least twice already this offseason and I have previously argued against it. Bourn isn't in the same league of value with McLouth. Especially for just the year 2013, calling Bourn a rich man's McLouth is like calling Miguel Cabrera a rich man's Nick Johnson. Just how rich do they have to be before the comparison doesn't even make sense?

I don't think Adam Jones would be happy about it. But I think he woudl do what is best for the team. You could ask Adam we have a chance to sign Michael Bourne but you have to move left.. is that Ok with you ...if you are worried about hurting his feelings. I think Adam is competive to want more good players around him. But I think he wants to play centerfield.

We had 3 guys who could play centerfield with Finley, Anderson, and Devereaux and it worked out with all of the guys playing at the same time.

This line of logic has come up at least twice already this offseason and I have previously argued against it. Bourn isn't in the same league of value with McLouth. Especially for just the year 2013, calling Bourn a rich man's McLouth is like calling Miguel Cabrera a rich man's Nick Johnson. Just how rich do they have to be before the comparison doesn't even make sense?

If you'll pardon my saying so, I look at Bourn's stats and just don't get a grip on why he's so valuable. His slash line of .272/.339/.365 isn't impressive. He's a speed guy who bats around 700 times a year, and yet he has never scored 100 runs even once. From an offensive perspective, I'd rather have McLouth from 2007-09 or an extrapolated version of McLouth in Baltimore from 2012 than Bourn.

Defensively, Bourn apparently is far superior. I've not seen a lot of him, so I can't really judge it myself. But no matter how good a defender he is, I don't think the Miguel Cabrera/Nick Johnson comparison flies. Bourn is not the Miguel Cabrera of outfielders by any stretch.

They are not going to ask, but if they did he would agree begrudingly. We wouldn't get much in the way of public disappointment expressed. Quite a bit in prinate.

Yes, all of this. He'd mouth the correct words in the press, not be real happy about it, but eventually come to accept it. But most importantly, he's not going to be asked to move until it becomes more obvious that his defense is really hurting the team. And I'm not sure it's worth it because you basically need to be at best a -10 player in center and at least average in a corner to make it worthwhile.

I think it depends on who is coming in. If it's a guy like Peter Bourjos, who doesn't hit all that well but has an absolutely stellar defensive reputation, I think Jones would be more willing to move.

I think it's just the opposite of this. It would need to be a guy who was so clearly great that Jones would look ridiculous and know he would look ridiculous to make a stink about the switch. So basically Trout. Bourn doesn't qualify.

Doesn't need to be a better overall player, just needs to improve the team. Bourn in CF would improve the team.

I agree with this but the improvement wouldn't be significant enough to step on Jones' toes. I'd love to trade for Bourjos, but it just ain't in the cards.

Archived