How about this guy for SS?

NewMarketSean

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball America has him as a MiL FA...

Tony Granadillo

Only 27 AB's above the A+ level, but he'd be worth signing and playing at Bowie for half a year if we do end up going with LH at SS.

Is he a minor league free agent? Milb.com lists him as being in the Boston organization. Old info on their part?

DISREGARD - Posted before I could.

I will enjoy reading about all the guys who have a glove as good as LH, who hit way-better, and who are cheap and readily available. I don't know of any. None, not a single one. But people keep saying that they're all over the place, just for the asking. Evidently, other posters know of lots of them. Therefore, I look forward to this thread revealing the "dozens" who are out there, just waiting for AM and DT to prove they're not idiots ;-)

I will enjoy reading about all the guys who have a glove as good as LH, who hit way-better, and who are cheap and readily available. I don't know of any. None, not a single one. But people keep saying that they're all over the place, just for the asking. Evidently, other posters know of lots of them. Therefore, I look forward to this thread revealing the "dozens" who are out there, just waiting for AM and DT to prove they're not idiots ;-)

Yes, there are dozens upon dozens of guys like LH.

And with every point raised on a SS's OPS, you can take away a little defensive prowess. It balances itself out. Of course you don't want Joey Boots out there at SS, but if he can field his position without embarrassing himself and look good at the plate, that is fine with me.

And is there a possibility that we do what we always do around here and overrate LH's defensive ability? Is he really the second coming of Mark Belanger?

Yes, there are dozens upon dozens of guys like LH.

And with every point raised on a SS's OPS, you can take away a little defensive prowess. It balances itself out. Of course you don't want Joey Boots out there at SS, but if he can field his position without embarrassing himself and look good at the plate, that is fine with me.

And is there a possibility that we do what we always do around here and overrate LH's defensive ability? Is he really the second coming of Mark Belanger?

I bet he can hit better than LH!

Right off the bat, Luis Hernandez's fielding percentage in the MiL is .967.

Mark Kiger's is .970 and Antonio Perez's is .958.

And keep in mind that Luis Hernandez has a .621 OPS, Kiger has a .767 OPS and Perez has a .809 OPS in the MiL.

Not sure about these guys' range, I guess LH has the best out of the bunch, but the better offensive numbers makes up for the limited range.

Baseball America has him as a MiL FA...

Tony Granadillo

Only 27 AB's above the A+ level, but he'd be worth signing and playing at Bowie for half a year if we do end up going with LH at SS.

I'd be all for getting this guy if he was available and if it was to play 2nd base. This guy made 29 errors in 127 games at 3rd base and has only played a handfull of games at SS in his MiL career. He has a career .962 fielding % in the minors. But his numbers at 2nd base aren't that bad at .981. Which leads me to believe he has a problem with long throws. Where all told would most likely translate to a sub .950 fielding % at SS.

On the subject of LH he is not the second coming of Belanger. He just looked a good bit better than Tejada on defense by visual comparison. Tejada's major shortcoming on defense was positioning himself to close to 3rd base and allowing way too many hits up the middle.

Archived