So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

Well, clearly, more than throwing Es go into evaluating a player's arm.

That said, I've always felt while overall Brob had a below average arm, it was more than adequate for 2nd base.

Let me let people in on a little hint: Most second basemen have below average arms. It's often the very reason they're at 2nd base.

What's the point in saying his arm is below average, if it it adequate for 2B? Is there thought of moving him back to SS or making him a UTIF? BTW Roberts DP% the last 4 years has been quite good even with the injuries.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The metircs are mixed with the trends pointing to negative. Yes, I know you don't like defensive metrics.

I'm glad my position is so memorable. It saves us time. :)

I mean, purely regarding his arm, the metrics are saying it's declining, and those metrics are a large enough sample to be meaningful?

I don't doubt he's declined as a defensive player. I just don't think his arms going to be the problem.

What's the point in saying his arm is below average, if it it adequate for 2B? Is there thought of moving him back to SS or making him a UTIF? BTW Roberts DP% the last 4 years has been quite good even with the injuries.

You'd have to ask the people saying that because I'm not.

I think his arm has been, and most likely, will be, fine.

It's far down the list of things I'm worried about.

Agreed. I think his arm is adequate enough for second base. I could see it being below average over the course of a full season. Probably the least of our problems, but it won't be compensating for his lack of range.

Roberts seems to be quite the lightning rod for this board. I am with CA-ORIOLE, Frobby, and C o c, in that I don't expect much but I don't hate the guy either. His off season was different in regards to the concussions. He wasn't working out at all last year. If you remember he couldn't attend Fan Fest because of the noise. His weight might be the same but it appears to be much better distribution in his upper body.

What we got from 2B last year wasn't a whole lot, I think El Gordo made a likely suggestion that if Roberts can hit at all we see Casilla as a late inning defensive replacement. If he can't, we will all know soon enough.

You'd have to ask the people saying that because I'm not.

I think his arm has been, and most likely, will be, fine.

It's far down the list of things I'm worried about.

I agree that his arm strength is the least of the issues to worry about. I do see at as below average for his position.

Should be a total disaster, I'm looking forward to the June post-game conference platitudes. Maybe they can make him a pitcher so for the first time in his life the ball will come out of his hand real well.
He was a total disaster last year and now he's one year older.

No at worst we're talking he gets 150 AB out of charity before he gets a "groin injury" to stop the bleeding.

No but they are making some pretty darn optimistic predictions of his performance based on 2 ABs in a ST game and magical thinking based on him doing a few months of squats.

Which is what? I mean you said it yourself, I'm not really going that far out on the limb, I think.

The bolded is what I'm referring to as sweeping statements that are not actually facts.

You're presenting your opinion, imo, quite strongly, where I can see why people would take umbrage w it.

Now, if you want to say Roberts has a long shot of being a solid regular for us this year, I'd agree 100%. But to act as if it's a forgone conclusion is just wrong. Again, solely my opinion.

Roberts seems to be quite the lightning rod for this board. I am with CA-ORIOLE, Frobby, and C o c, in that I don't expect much but I don't hate the guy either. His off season was different in regards to the concussions. He wasn't working out at all last year. If you remember he couldn't attend Fan Fest because of the noise. His weight might be the same but it appears to be much better distribution in his upper body. What we got from 2B last year wasn't a whole lot, I think El Gordo made a likely suggestion that if Roberts can hit at all we see Casilla as a late inning defensive replacement. If he can't, we will all know soon enough.

Yep and driving that high and away FB (scrub pitcher or not) off the LF wall was pretty impressive.

Failed DP's don't usually show up as errors.
They show up in DP%. A top defensive 2B has a DP% in the .650 to .700 range. Roberts the last 4 years as been .688, .755, .622, and .643. So I don't think his below average arm has affected is ability to turn the DP.

Roberts seems to be quite the lightning rod for this board.

Do you ever get the feeling Steve Melewski lurks on this board? From this morning:

I can understand that some fans are disappointed that Brian Roberts has not been able to contribute much to the Orioles over the last few seasons. I can get that some fans doubt he can return to the form he once showed or even close to it. I can get that some fans don't think he can come back at all.

But I don't get some of the almost nasty comments I see from time to time on various message boards.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/02/whats-with-all-the-roberts-critics.html

I find that quite often, there will be a heated topic here and Melewski will post an entry on that topic the same day a thread appears here, even when there is no news event that has triggered a discussion of the topic.

Do you ever get the feeling Steve Melewski lurks on this board? From this morning:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/02/whats-with-all-the-roberts-critics.html

I find that quite often, there will be a heated topic here and Melewski will post an entry on that topic the same day a thread appears here, even when there is no news event that has triggered a discussion of the topic.

I've noticed that too. I wonder if he has an incognito screen name...........maybe Frobby.;)

I think that lurking on fan message boards would be doing his due diligence as someone that reports on the team for a living.

I think "nasty" is a bit too strong. I think the Roberts comments are aimed at the player, not the person. I think it's fair for him to be open to criticism, which is what I think he receives on this board. I wouldn't call it nasty.

I think just about everyone on this board HOPES that Roberts can get close to his old self.

They show up in DP%. A top defensive 2B has a DP% in the .650 to .700 range. Roberts the last 4 years as been .688, .755, .622, and .643. So I don't think his below average arm has affected is ability to turn the DP.

2010-2012 have mostly smaller sizes. Overal UZR is neg - DRS is Pos. Trends 2004-2009 appear generally negative to me. I think he has good fundamentals around the bag though. Arm strength is a factor in range as well. Roberts is sound fundamentally, but I think your projection of a possible -8 to -10 (full season) probably isn't that far off. Observationally, I would call his arm as below average for a second baseman.

Archived