Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

Casilla is the worst pinch runner. Has gotten thrown out twice on the bases.

That's a pretty foolish statement. Casilla has been thrown out twice on the bases on 9 steal attempts, a 78% success rate, which is high. For his career, he has an 88% success rate. The guy is an excellent pinch runner. He's also an excellent defender. He just isn't too adept at getting on base.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Casilla is the worst pinch runner. Has gotten thrown out twice on the bases.

That's a pretty foolish statement. Casilla has been thrown out twice on the bases on 9 steal attempts, a 78% success rate, which is high. For his career, he has an 88% success rate. The guy is an excellent pinch runner. He's also an excellent defender. He just isn't too adept at getting on base.

QFT

Quoted for truth

Looks like Masterson is supposed to pitch tomorrow so that would mean his next turn would come against us on Monday.

The more you know.................

Also, isn't Betemit due up today? Any predictions on who gets the boot?

IMO it has to be Flaherty.

Any truth to the issue that some think Betemit has with running? Has anybody actually seen him play in rehab?

If the corresponding roster move is to demote Flaherty or another player to the minor leagues, I'll be interested to see where they send him. Barring injury to another player, the player sent down can't come back for 10 days or until the season is over for the minor league team that he's sent to. That means that any player sent to Norfolk, Bowie, Frederick, or Delmarva can't come back until Sept. 3 and a player sent to Aberdeen can't come back until Sept. 6.

However, the GCL Orioles' season ends on August 29 so the player could come back as soon as the rosters expand on September 1. IIRC the Orioles did this type of move once with Garrett Olson, sending him to Bluefield in the last few days of August and then bringing him back up on September 1 when the rosters expanded. I believe that he was only down for a few days and was back to pitch on regular rest.

So if it's Flaherty (or whoever), don't be surprised if they're sent down to GCL Orioles so he can come back sooner.

If it's Casilla DFA'd, see you later and thanks for nothing!

they should have 24 hours to actually do something with him, maybe after the game tonight, they make a move????

If they're able to wait until after tonight's game, they could send Chen down to the GCL Orioles and have him back up here for his next turn on 9/1.

If they're able to wait until after tonight's game, they could send Chen down to the GCL Orioles and have him back up here for his next turn on 9/1.

I thought he would have to be on the 25-man roster at 8/31/13 at 11:59:59? Or is there some additional piece if info related to the GCL O's that I'm missing or neglecting here?

I think Betemit may be activated a few hours. The O's add him to the 25 man roster for Wednesday's game and DL him after the game because he can't run. Just a guess.

I don't think they'd screw with him like that. After refusing to extend his rehab stint for only like 5 days there's no WAY he and his agent won't fight a fake DL stint.

Archived