Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Press release says 6-8 weeks then a re-evaluation. That does not mean back playing. Optimistically playing in "rehab assignment" in 12 weeks would be great. That would have him back in MLB in around 16 weeks. I don't see any lying, the release just doesn't spell out the whole time table. Absolute earliest to be back in MLB is 12 weeks. Not holding my breath on that one.

In my experience the PCL isn't often surgically repaired, which is why yesterday I said if it is his PCL only he probably will not miss the season. I am still surprised about it being a PCL as it is rare to tear the PCL in hyperextension because it is usually on slack. The only patient I have had with a PCL tear that happened like that was because he tore the ACL first and then the PCL went. Do not be surprised if in the next month if something else is changed with his diagnosis. They will wait for 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down now. His option for 2014 will not be achieved now. He could still be out for the year if something else is discovered (think ACL), but otherwise I would expect him back in 3-4 months.

It is odd to hear you say this. I only know three of the players that have played football for us with PCL tears over the years. All required reconstruction. Not doubting you but as I understand it it is a fairly rare injury and in most cases there is a bunch of other damage that occurs when the injury happens. I know all of the players I had experience with has other injuries that had to be repaired at the same time and like I said earlier none of the three ever were the same afterward. I asked our trainer about it and she said that in order to actually get a grade 3 of the PCL a lot of movement and force has to occur and pretty much tears a lot of tissue and even bone up. I guess some of the generic knee sprains (out a week or so) might have involved the PCL and I was not even aware of it. It is interesting to hear your experience on these cases.

You are being to sensitive.

I didn't neg-rep him. I actually gave positive rep for clarifying his use of the phrase.

I've probably neg-repped three people during the entirety of my time as a poster, so I'm not exactly quick to resort to such things. If he'd actually meant what I originally thought he meant, that would've been worthy.

But he didn't.

It is odd to hear you say this. I only know three of the players that have played football for us with PCL tears over the years. All required reconstruction. Not doubting you but as I understand it it is a fairly rare injury and in most cases there is a bunch of other damage that occurs when the injury happens. I know all of the players I had experience with has other injuries that had to be repaired at the same time and like I said earlier none of the three ever were the same afterward. I asked our trainer about it and she said that in order to actually get a grade 3 of the PCL a lot of movement and force has to occur and pretty much tears a lot of tissue and even bone up. I guess some of the generic knee sprains (out a week or so) might have involved the PCL and I was not even aware of it. It is interesting to hear your experience on these cases.

If the tear is a grade 3 (complete tear) and you are an elite athlete playing a sport requiring significant rotary motion you will often have surgery. Most PCL tears occur while running up the stairs and tripping or when a person is involved in a car crash where the dashboard comes into your bent knee. In order to tear the PCL with the knee straight you would have to typically tear the ACL first. The most recent patient that I had with a PCL tear tripped over a dog leash and landed on a porch step (bent knee). He also had a fracture of the tibia (shin bone). Once the pain and swelling subsided he progressed quickly with therapy, but luckily for him he is not a significant athlete. Thus he is "back to normal" with no surgery needed. At Wilson's age and if not a complete tear I would imagine he will try to strengthen up the knee musculature and wear a brace to try and offer stability to the knee. To your other point, you are correct, if you tear a PCL often it involves bone and cartilage damage. With this type of damage you will develop arthritis quicker and the knee will never feel quite the same again. Luckily the PCL is not essential for normal walking and life activities. I don't know if I have made it easier or less easy to understand.

• 1 month later...
Exactly, the key word is reevaluate in 6-8 weeks. It doesn't mean that he'll be ready at that time even if he does not require surgery.

Note: We are now at about the 8-week mark since Betemit's injury. Apparently he's been jogging in a pool. No word on when he'll be cleared for baseball activities. I'd say realistically, July is the earliest Betemit could return.

Note: We are now at about the 8-week mark since Betemit's injury. Apparently he's been jogging in a pool. No word on when he'll be cleared for baseball activities. I'd say realistically, July is the earliest Betemit could return.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

It's been 12 weeks since Betemit injured his knee.

Almost 11 weeks since he had successful exploratory arthroscopic surgery on April 3rd.

I hope that your rehab is coming along well, Wilson. :)

Wilson would be a HUGE addition against right-handed pitching and give the DH position an instant lift.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived