I just watched a junior in HS clocked at 96mph!

He is a teammate of my son at Norwell High School. An Atlanta Braves scout and a Padres scout were there to watch him throw a bullpen session and clocked him. It was incredible. He's been on the bs radar for a while because they came out to watch him as a sophomore last year and was throwing 92 at that time. I predict if he's stays healthy, you're looking at a top ten pick, easily. Btw, there must be something in the water over here because this is the same program that produced Jarrod Parker of the Oakland A's. (my next door neighbor). :)

I should clarify, it's actually his parents house and the house that he grew up in. And during the winter he still spends some significant time there. Also, I've only lived here a little over a year. I haven't met him yet because I am a little shy, although his parents seem like wonderful people. I hope to meet him sometime.

It's great the hear about a young man doing so well. But, I remember driving to Oxnard to watch a high school kid named Delmon Young hit two 500 foot homers in the same game. Unfortunately, it doesn't always mean a lot.

@sangar, I had an in depth conversation with the scout from the braves today. He believes this kid is a definite first rounder, perhaps top ten pick, all contingent upon him staying healthy of course... This kid is the real deal.

@sangar, I had an in depth conversation with the scout from the braves today. He believes this kid is a definite first rounder, perhaps top ten pick, all contingent upon him staying healthy of course... This kid is the real deal.

Unfortunately, being drafted in the top ten doesn't guarantee that you are the real deal either--especially out of high school. I look forward to rooting for him though.

I wish your friend all the luck and hope he is the next Strasburg. However, if I remember correctly, Delmon Young was the first overall pick by the Rays in '03.

I wish your friend all the luck and hope he is the next Strasburg. However, if I remember correctly, Delmon Young was the first overall pick by the Rays in '03.

He was, but I'm not sure why you're harping on Young. He's not the star he was expected to be, but he has gotten over 3500 ML plate appearances and has made over $18 million. He's done pretty well for himself, I'd say.

He was, but I'm not sure why you're harping on Young. He's not the star he was expected to be, but he has gotten over 3500 ML plate appearances and has made over $18 million. He's done pretty well for himself, I'd say.

I wouldn't consider referring to one example twice in a thread to be "harping" but you are certainly free to give words whatever definition you choose.

It's great the hear about a young man doing so well. But, I remember driving to Oxnard to watch a high school kid named Delmon Young hit two 500 foot homers in the same game. Unfortunately, it doesn't always mean a lot.

Well, the guy has made $18.5 mm playing baseball, so I'd say it meant something.

Well, the guy has made $18.5 mm playing baseball, so I'd say it meant something.

Wow. I thought my point was clear but apparently not. If I was trying to say the kid may flop there would be many examples that I could cite where that actually occurred. So, obviously, that wasn't my point.

Wow. I thought my point was clear but apparently not. If I was trying to say the kid may flop there would be many examples that I could cite where that actually occurred. So, obviously, that wasn't my point.

Here's my point: we all know that any highly touted prospect can turn out to be a dud. You didn't really need to tell us that. It's still pretty cool to live in some town where one of these guys resides, and witness a 17-year old kid throwing 96 mph. Why kill the fun of it by stating the obvious? I'd say if you saw Delmon Young hit two 500-foot homers, you had a pretty cool day, no matter what the guy did in his professional career -- and, the guy did have a decent major league career even if he didn't turn out to be Albert Pujols. It's fun to see a legit high school phenom.

Archived