We shouldn't take Jim Johnson for granted

Frobby

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the OH seems to quickly stumble across the realization that he's not going to be an Oriole forever, I would like to reiterate my long argued platform that we should be shopping JJ for a king's ransom this July.

Yes, he's been terrific and yes the Orioles will need him this October. But JJ's price tag will never be higher than it is right now.

You trade him now, and you get the maximum return.

You trade him in the off season, and you get less.

You trade him next July when his new team will only get half a season, you get little.

You don't trade him and use his contract up, you get nothing.

As the OH seems to quickly stumble across the realization that he's not going to be an Oriole forever, I would like to reiterate my long argued platform that we should be shopping JJ for a king's ransom this July.

Yes, he's been terrific and yes the Orioles will need him this October. But JJ's price tag will never be higher than it is right now.

You trade him next July when his new team will only get half a season, you get little.

The problem with trading him now is that having Johnson on the team for the rest of the season may be the difference in making the playoffs. I think last year's team was better equipped, in the Bullpen, to do without Johnson. If the O's are in the hunt at the trade deadline will the return on Johnson be worth lowering the team's playoff chances?

There is also a fair chance that Johnson would warrant compensation under the new CBA. If he is still performing at a high level then risk of giving him a qualifying offer shouldn't break the bank.

I was more then willing to trade him off during last season as well as this last offseason. I will be more then happy to trade him during this offseason or if the O's fall out of the race this year.

The other side of that is that you get Jim Johnson pitching for the Orioles up to the point you trade him or his contract expires. I think that has a fair amount of value.

The problem with trading him now is that having Johnson on the team for the rest of the season may be the difference in making the playoffs. I think last year's team was better equipped, in the Bullpen, to do without Johnson. If the O's are in the hunt at the trade deadline will the return on Johnson be worth lowering the team's playoff chances?

There is also a fair chance that Johnson would warrant compensation under the new CBA. If he is still performing at a high level then risk of giving him a qualifying offer shouldn't break the bank.

I was more then willing to trade him off during last season as well as this last offseason. I will be more then happy to trade him during this offseason or if the O's fall out of the race this year.

Brian Roberts plus Wilson Betemit = Jim Johnson qualifing offer.

I could live with that as plan B. It offers the Orioles a chance to use him for the completion of this year but then still nets a fair value. Obviously his value will be much lower, though, by waiting that long. At that point, the market return might not stay above JJ's value to the Orioles where I think his return right now IS more valuable than what he would pitch for the Orioles.

The other side of that is that you get Jim Johnson pitching for the Orioles up to the point you trade him or his contract expires. I think that has a fair amount of value.

Obviously this is where the numbers boys in the DD's office earn their keeps. As Buck said this winter, they won't trade anyone until other teams start valuing their players as highly as they do themselves. I don't have any rock solid numbers, just my hunch. But I think Johnson's return value RIGHT NOW is more valuable than his pitching. As I said in the opening sentence, this is all contingent on getting the return of a King's Ransom for Johnson. I wouldn't be in favor of trading him for just some prospects or a veteran bat.

I think he could be part of a deal for Stanton though...

So who then closes if we trade him O'day? Not comfortable with that personally. We're a contending team we shouldn't be looking to trade our best players when we could well be in a playoff race.

Give good, get better. This is how franchises last for decades. Teams that hold on to their good players with the death grip of fear have very short dynasties. Milt Pappas was a pretty good pitcher back in the day...

Give good, get better. This is how franchises last for decades. Teams that hold on to their good players with the death grip of fear have very short dynasties. Milt Pappas was a pretty good pitcher back in the day...

I understand your point, could depend on what they think he would re-sign for, he may even take a home town discount, but I think we need to have a mentality change that we are no longer the doormat and all.

I could live with that as plan B. It offers the Orioles a chance to use him for the completion of this year but then still nets a fair value. Obviously his value will be much lower, though, by waiting that long. At that point, the market return might not stay above JJ's value to the Orioles where I think his return right now IS more valuable than what he would pitch for the Orioles.

Obviously this is where the numbers boys in the DD's office earn their keeps. As Buck said this winter, they won't trade anyone until other teams start valuing their players as highly as they do themselves. I don't have any rock solid numbers, just my hunch. But I think Johnson's return value RIGHT NOW is more valuable than his pitching. As I said in the opening sentence, this is all contingent on getting the return of a King's Ransom for Johnson. I wouldn't be in favor of trading him for just some prospects or a veteran bat.

I think he could be part of a deal for Stanton though...

That's a really good point.

Because the one things the Marlins love to do is make their highest paid player a reliever, especially when they're on pace to win 60 games.

I'm sure adding JJ makes a ton of sense for them.

Because the one things the Marlins love to do is make their highest paid player a reliever, especially when they're on pace to win 60 games.

Be nice Pickles.

You want snark? Since when did you become the expert on how the Marlin's front office rationalizes deals? While most of the world seems completely baffled as to their strategy and spending habits, you seem to have a good pulse on exactly why they spent big and then sold the farm.

Ok, enough of that. To answer this concern with reason as opposed to emotion, no I don't think he's a great fit for Miami, but I do think the Orioles should aim that high when shopping Johnson this summer. I mentioned Stanton because that's the type of King's Ransom I think is possible.

Toronto seems like a team that would go bezerk for a closer for no reason. Just like with BJ Ryan.

The Blue Jays might be a bit too far gone to want help, though. The Tigers are in desperate need for a closer and fringe teams like the Royals and D-Backs might overreact and overpay to get one if they're still in contention in a few months. The Red Sox and Cardinals might also see their backup plans falter and look to make a move.

Archived