Would you put Machado in the category of Harper/Trout?

ChaosLex

Does Machado belong in the same category as Harper or Trout?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Does Machado belong in the same category as Harper or Trout?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How could Machado not be in that same category?

Trout had a very strong case for MVP last year as a 21 year old.

Harper is recognized as one of the best position prospects ever and has done nothing yet to refute that hype.

Manny has played great defense but has essentially had 1 good month with the bat. I think he is a great, great player, and I'm so glad he's on our team. It's in no way an insult to him to say that you don't think he's quite as good as those 2 yet. But like I said, I think he deserves to be part of the conversation.

I know people will kill me for saying this, but watching Manny at the plate reminds me of a Jeter with more power. He hits to all fields and he hits per situation. Harper and Trout seem to me to be more SLG/OF types. Manny's a very smart ballplayer offensively and defensively. He is still developing with the bat, and who knows where he'll be at the end of the season.

In good conscience, I can't go there. Trout and Harper are just absolute super stars offensively, and very good defensively to boot. Manny being other worldly defensively at a premium position (and eventually SS), while still having the potential to be a near super star offensively could eventually propel him into the conversation, but not quite yet.

Differerent players, all young. Manny doesnt have the basestealing of the others. Manny likely wont hit as many HR's (but likely a 20+ HR bat). I think Manny will hit for average his whole career, doesnt overswing and hits line to line. But, I know this will be controversial, but I would take Manny over all of them cause he plays GG third base, he helps Hardy a GG cheat toward the center. I think when you add his INFEILD defense, that is more called upon than outfeild defense he is the better value, takes away bunts, turns DP's, throws out fast runners with arm, and has lots of range. BTW, I see the Angels alot, Trout isnt the same as last year, not as patient and bulked up alot and changed his swing and not playing great outfeild. I like Harper but I see a streaky player and a possible headcase in the future aand plays outfield.

Machado is a different kind of player than Trout or Harper. I would say that Harper and Trout are worth more than Machado, but Machado is deserving of being in the conversation. He's a perennial all-star candidate with a wicked glove and his bat is coming around a bit. Glad he's ours!

In good conscience, I can't go there. Trout and Harper are just absolute super stars offensively, and very good defensively to boot. Manny being other worldly defensively at a premium position (and eventually SS), while still having the potential to be a near super star offensively could eventually propel him into the conversation, but not quite yet.

Manny has played 84 major league games, essentially half a season. In that time, he's accumulated 3.1 fWAR, 3.7 rWAR. Those are pretty much superstar numbers, and they include his so-so offensive performance from 2012. I don't see Manny matching what Trout and Harper do offensively, but when you factor in how well he plays 3B, I think he'll belong in their category even if he cools down a bit offensively.

Thinking about his 2 hr game last year gives me chills.

He's the most exciting young player I've seen come up in this organization and I'm so excited to see him on the field every day.

Harper and Trout play for other teams. I have no real emotions.

I tapped, I talked, I conquered.

Because of age and overall value, yes. Trout and Harper both seem to have more offensive upside but even that remains to be seen. Manny definitely has earned a place in the conversation.

I voted no. No yet. I think he will be though.

Manny has played 84 major league games, essentially half a season. In that time, he's accumulated 3.1 fWAR, 3.7 rWAR. Those are pretty much superstar numbers, and they include his so-so offensive performance from 2012. I don't see Manny matching what Trout and Harper do offensively, but when you factor in how well he plays 3B, I think he'll belong in their category even if he cools down a bit offensively.

Well, there's the fact that I don't put a whole lot of faith in dWAR yet. I know how much of a stud he is defensively, so I'm more inclinced to just go with it, but I still don't have a ton of faith in dWAR in any event. Machado, as much as I love him, just isn't in that category for me yet. Though he might be eventually.

Don't think Machado is quite in the category of Harper/Trout, and I wouldn't say he needs to be. Harper has a large edge in hitting ability. As minor league prospects, I may have put Machado above Trout - but the extra HR power took Trout's game to a whole new level in 2012 and I believe it's legit.

Cal Ripken was never close to the offensive dominance of Frank Thomas or the overall ability of Ken Griffey Jr., yet he was still a treasured legend and one of the great players in Orioles history. Manny and the Orioles can both have an extremely successful future even if he needs to settle for being only the third best young position talent in the game.

Positional value is the only plausible argument, to my mind. Harper grades out 8 arm, 8 power, 5+/6 hit, 5 speed and 5 defense. That's otherworldly.

I agree, but Machado at 3rd will save you probably 20-30+ runs a season or more, given that he allows Hardy to also cheat up the middle.

Archived