2013 Orioles Draft Tracker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>According to an industry source, Orioles have agreed to terms wth top pick Hunter Harvey at slot, which is $1,947,600</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">June 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was hoping to get him under slot but oh well.

Discrepancy between you guys and Connolly on bonuses.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The only Orioles' Top 10 player to sign above slot was sixth rounder Alex Murphy, who reportedly signed for $275K, up from $218.5</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

If he signed for 275 that eats up half the savings.

Presumably Wynns, as a senior, signed for a good deal below slot. If we presume about 100K below, that leaves a decent chunk of money for someone (~280K by my back-of-the-envelope calculation). Probably not enough for Tyler or Ayers but it could get Walsh or Bruner. Or maybe they'll just give it to Dosch. There's also ~320K in buffer money (including Dosch's slot) where they have to pay a dollar-for-dollar penalty but don't lose any picks, so technically there could be as much as 600K left before they lose a draft pick. This is still the Orioles though so I doubt we see them go far into that money, if at all. And they could also just pocket the savings. That would honestly surprise me less than any overslot signings.

IMO, it's not worth "undersigning" guys if it is just to save $. I assume we have a savings target in mind to sign a couple of these HSers drafted after the 10th round. I would also assume/speculate that we have reached the savings number or else we would not have given Harvey slot so quickly. Interested to see who we are spending that $600k (per analysis above) on.

Discrepancy between you guys and Connolly on bonuses.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The only Orioles' Top 10 player to sign above slot was sixth rounder Alex Murphy, who reportedly signed for $275K, up from $218.5</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

If he signed for 275 that eats up half the savings.

Baseball America has Murphy signing for 275K also.

Thanks for the update guys. I think we had the early report which is why we put down approx.

I have the 5% 100 percent cash penalty over allowance at $315,285 plus the $185,000 savings so - Approximately $500,000 that can be spent on overslots without losing a pick. Does anyone verify that I am correct?

I have the 5% 100 percent cash penalty over allowance at $315,285 plus the $185,000 savings so - Approximately $500,000 that can be spent on overslots without losing a pick. Does anyone verify that I am correct?

You're correct with the numbers we have now, but we don't know Wynns' bonus and it's highly unlikely he signed for anywhere near slot. I estimated his bonus at 100K below slot.

Also, if Dosch signs for over slot or doesn't sign at all those numbers could change. We can safely assume somewhere in the 500-600K range though.

e: Jake Bray just agreed to terms: https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/348127515551875073

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> sign 14th-rder Mike Yastrzemski. Vanderbilt OF, grandson of HOF Carl, line-drive bat, solid RF, good sr sign. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlbdraft&src=hash">#mlbdraft</a></p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisBA) <a href="

">June 22, 2013</a></blockquote>

You're correct with the numbers we have now, but we don't know Wynns' bonus and it's highly unlikely he signed for anywhere near slot. I estimated his bonus at 100K below slot.

Also, if Dosch signs for over slot or doesn't sign at all those numbers could change. We can safely assume somewhere in the 500-600K range though.

e: Jake Bray just agreed to terms: https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/348127515551875073

If Dosch does not the sign the team loses that slot money.

I am of the understanding that the most we could lose of our draft spending power is now approximately $71,000 because of Dosch if he does not sign, because signings out of the top ten may be paid up to $100,000 anyway.

Archived