Overall opinions on the Orioles' draft?

Bit worried about all the HS names taken early considering the track record of the prior regime.

I do hope that they do a lot better job managing the slot money this season. They barely saved any money rounds 2-10 last season and then just handed it to Gausman.

I would rather have seen more proven college arms but I admit I am no drafting expert. Just an opinion from a guy on a message board.

I think the large number of catchers will work itself out. Obviously some of these guys will be moved to other positions.

I'm happy until I have a reason to feel otherwise. I like Josh Hart more at #37 now that I read more about him. I like the hitting aspect of Sisco, Murphy, and Heim while all three project forward defensively as catchers. I'm a bit confused on how they will all get playing time at the position since all three are HS players and really belong in the GCL. I'm not super excited about Harvey but I like taking the high ceiling guy there. Rajsich doesn't take projects who need to develop the hit tool. He takes hitters who have some tools. I like that. It will be instesting to see who we sign after the 10th round. It might also be interesting to see if the O's save any money on guys like Sisco and Heim, who appear to be a bit overdrafted.

I like the Hart pick too and don't mind the comparisons to Denard Span or Ben Revere. That said, there is a part of me who would have preferred the team take a more established OF like Stanford's Austin Wilson, who was still available at the time.

Anyone else feel that way?

I think it is a very solid group. I like the HSers that replenish the bottom of our system. On paper, it doesn't scream - great draft, but it's more than good enough and, if our scouting and player development are above average- then the draft should look very good in a year or two.

It would be nice if we could find money for some of the better player taken after the 10th round - it would be like adding a top 15-20 player IMO.

I like the lists above. Hopefully, we will see a DSL prospect emerge for top 15-20 status to make our system even deeper.

So who are the "overslots" past the 10th round this year? I realize things are a little different with the new rules, but is there anyone interesting to sign if we can save money on the top 10 guys?

EDIT - nevermind, just saw Moose's "summary" thread that goes over a lot this.

They took on a lot of risk with the raw guys they drafted. Of course, they spread some of that risk out by taking a lot of guys who fit that profile. Gotta think we're gonna hit on a few and completely whiff on a few. This is a draft for the development guys. Let's see if they are improved over previous regimes.

Archived