The Astros' Owner and G.M. Have Long-Term Plans

OFFNY

Keuchel pitched the Astros to a sweep of the Padres. His amazing run continues.

Keuchel and McHugh are both just really good pitchers. Keuchel had a 3.21FIP last year, 2.89 this year and McHugh had a 3.11FIP last year and 1.81 this year. I can't wait until they bring up the Correa who is far and away the best prospect in baseball.

Keuchel and McHugh are both just really good pitchers. Keuchel had a 3.21FIP last year, 2.89 this year and McHugh had a 3.11FIP last year and 1.81 this year. I can't wait until they bring up the Correa who is far and away the best prospect in baseball.

I saw that Moran suffered some kind of injury. Not sure how long he will be out or how close he was.

It is crazy how both emerged. McHugh never had any real stand out seasons in the minors with the Mets. Didn't realize Keuchal came up with the Astros.

Edited by Crazysilver03

Astros building the club seems to be going better than most people, not me, expected. I wonder if a large part of their rapid success could be having hired 2 executives away from the Cards. I think so.

I think the main reason for their success was that they skipped the kinda bad stage and went straight to worst team in baseball and stayed there awhile.

It also worked well for the Rays and the Nationals.

Whereas the O's lingered at the 5th-10th worst team in baseball level.

o

INVESTMENT CLUB

The Houston Astros aren't winning, but owner Jim Crane and G.M. Jeff Luhnow say that it's just a matter of time.

(By Molly Knight)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9357636/houston-astros-hope-strong-farm-system-improve-club-espn-magazine

TWO YEARS LATER:

At 17-7 and riding a 9-game winning streak, the Astros have the best record in the American League.

It's still very early in the season, but I would bet a nickel that Jim Crane and Jeff Luhnow are (privately) having a hard containing themselves over their assertion from June of 2013. O:gallden:

o

o

10 straight wins.

Evan Gattis Leads Astros Past Mariners for 10th Straight Win

(By Jose de Jesus Ortiz)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/05/03/evan-gattis-leads-astros-past-mariners-for-10th-straight-win/#31931101=0

The Astros fell one win shy of tying the 1945 Brooklyn Dodgers for the longest winning streak by a team that lost 90 or more games the previous season.

The 1944 Brooklyn Dodgers went 63-91:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BRO/1944.shtml

The 1945 Brooklyn Dodgers won 11 consecutive games between May 5th and May 16th:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BRO/1945-schedule-scores.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
Could you elaborate?

The Astros have ticked off a lot of folks with how they have engineered the rebuild. They have upset folks with how they have handled the draft, with how they have dealt with free agents and how they have approached player development.

You also have "old school" folks that think the Astros have gone too far on the analytics side.

And of course Weams doesn't like them.

The Astros have ticked off a lot of folks with how they have engineered the rebuild. They have upset folks with how they have handled the draft, with how they have dealt with free agents and how they have approached player development.

You also have "old school" folks that think the Astros have gone too far on the analytics side.

And of course Weams doesn't like them.

There are a lot more people hoping they fail than succeed.