Arrieta starts Monday in Detroit

Rene88

That's a loss. McFarland just pitched 3 1/3 on Saturday so he's not available for long relief. Not only will we lose but the bullpen will be toast after the game. At least we can get Pedro Strop some work. :rolleyes:

So, not a complete loss then because we won't have to see him again for a few games.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way this makes any sense to me is that the team isn't sure if Hammel will be able to start on Tuesday. Therefore, they need to hold Britton in reserve for Tuesday. They could have demoted Arietta and called up Britton to make the start tomorrow, but then there wouldn't have been anyone left to start in place of Hammel on Tuesday.

I sure hope this is the reasoning, anyway. They can't honestly believe that Arietta is the best person for the 5th starter job right now.

Arrieta is likely to be sent down after tomorrows start regardless of the results.

Why would Hammel take Gonzo's next start?

I think the idea is to not burn an option. If you send Arrieta down to make room for Britton but Britton bombs, you can't call up Arrieta to sit as the long man.

I don't see how "burning an option" comes into play here. Britton's option has been used for this year.

The only way this makes any sense to me is that the team isn't sure if Hammel will be able to start on Tuesday. Therefore, they need to hold Britton in reserve for Tuesday. They could have demoted Arietta and called up Britton to make the start tomorrow, but then there wouldn't have been anyone left to start in place of Hammel on Tuesday.

I sure hope this is the reasoning, anyway. They can't honestly believe that Arietta is the best person for the 5th starter job right now.

Gausman (assuming paternity leave)

That's a loss. McFarland just pitched 3 1/3 on Saturday so he's not available for long relief. Not only will we lose but the bullpen will be toast after the game. At least we can get Pedro Strop some work. :rolleyes:

If MG goes on the baby list tomorrow can we call up another pitcher?

I don't see how "burning an option" comes into play here. Britton's option has been used for this year.

I mean, if you send Arrieta down tomorrow for Britton, but Britton sucks and you use up the bullpen, you can't recall Arrieta for 10 days. So you are left calling up Stinson or Jurrjens to serve as the mop up man.

I mean, if you send Arrieta down tomorrow for Britton, but Britton sucks and you use up the bullpen, you can't recall Arrieta for 10 days. So you are left calling up Stinson or Jurrjens to serve as the mop up man.

Why does it matter who the mop up man is? Those guys (Arrieta, Stinson, Jurrjens) are all pretty much the same.

Oh, OK, I got it. You mean option in the dictionary sense of the word, not specifically the 3 "options" that a guy has that allow him to be sent to the minors in any 3 years after he has been added to the 40 man roster, without having to go through waivers.

Sorry, my bad.

If the game is a loss does it really matter if we use Strop for more than one?

He should be relegated to the role Gregg was used for in 2012.

If they need him for one fine. If he he is getting pounded and we are already down by five when he comes in but it saves the rest of the pen then I'm fine with him eating innings at this point.

Archived