Matt Wieters WAR Is Officially 0.0

AJismyhero

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My theory on Wieters is this: Tony Gwynn spent hours looking at video's of his AB and opposing pitchers. Most great hitters have followed suit. Matt spends hours looking at videos as well, but it is of opposing teams hitters. I just think he is more engaged with the problems of managing the pitching than he is with those of his bat. By the end of the season he has become familiar enough with the opposing teams pitchers and his swing that he starts to heat up. If he focused as much on his hitting as he does with his catching, he would be a lot closer to the hitter we expected him to be. But there's only so much time in the day.

My theory on Wieters is this: Tony Gwynn spent hours looking at video's of his AB and opposing pitchers. Most great hitters have followed suit. Matt spends hours looking at videos as well, but it is of opposing teams hitters. I just think he is more engaged with the problems of managing the pitching than he is with those of his bat. By the end of the season he has become familiar enough with the opposing teams pitchers and his swing that he starts to heat up. If he focused as much on his hitting as he does with his catching, he would be a lot closer to the hitter we expected him to be. But there's only so much time in the day.

Maybe his time is misspent. A .850-.900 OPS catcher with average to below average defense is more valuable than a .700-.750 OPS C with above average to GG defense. At least, IMO.

More accurately, I don't think he could become that .850-.900 OPS C. That's fine, he's still a solid player.

Maybe his time is misspent. A .850-.900 OPS catcher with average to below average defense is more valuable than a .700-.750 OPS C with above average to GG defense. At least, IMO.

More accurately, I don't think he could become that .850-.900 OPS C. That's fine, he's still a solid player.

I don't know where you think all these .850 to .900 OPS hitters come from. We have exactly one on our season this year. And Chris Davis' career OPS is not even close .850. Tony Gwynn didn't even have .850 for his career.

It would probably help Matt if we had a back-up catcher. I think the team should try to trade for one.

I don't know where you think all these .850 to .900 OPS hitters come from. We have exactly one on our season this year. And Chris Davis' career OPS is not even close .850. Tony Gwynn didn't even have .850 for his career.

It would probably help Matt if we had a back-up catcher. I think the team should try to trade for one.

Who is available and for what cost?

Maybe you should read what I quoted and what I said before interjecting yourself into a conversation.

Hmmm, Wieters comes to bat maybe 4 times a game, while the opponents come up to bat 35-40 times a game. I'd say Wieters' time is well spent studying his opponents.

That said, I don't think we really know that Wieters doesn't spend time studying the opposing pitchers.

You're on a roll this morning. Funny stuff. So Wieters figures out all of the pitchers in the league by September and his swing, but come next April he forgets everything or the American League gets all new pitchers. If only everyone would watch more video, they could hit like Tony Gwynn. :rolleyes:

51M49HANAWL.jpg

Hmmm, Wieters comes to bat maybe 4 times a game, while the opponents come up to bat 35-40 times a game. I'd say Wieters' time is well spent studying his opponents.

That said, I don't think we really know that Wieters doesn't spend time studying the opposing pitchers.

I didn't suggest that. I'm saying he spends more time studying opposing team's hitters. Can you discern the difference? Add to that the fact that he is a SH which requires even more time. Do you think Wieters spends as much time on his hitting as Nick does? Do you think he has as much time to spend?

I didn't suggest that. I'm saying he spends more time studying opposing team's hitters. Can you discern the difference? Add to that the fact that he is a SH which requires even more time. Do you think Wieters spends as much time on his hitting as Nick does? Do you think he has as much time to spend?

I don't know how much time Wieters spends studying opposing pitchers, compared to other players on the team. Do you? I agree that Wieters has other things to study that, IMO, are more important in the scheme of things. l already said that. So why the snarky response?

You lost me there. It's still the same pitchers to study for any game or series, whether a guy hits RH, LH, or SH, so the same amount of film study.

Now, if you were talking about more time in the batting cage or hitting on the field, that I could understand.

I don't know how much time Wieters spends studying opposing pitchers, compared to other players on the team. Do you? I agree that Wieters has other things to study that, IMO, are more important in the scheme of things. l already said that. So why the snarky response?

Nature taking a crap. Perfectly normal.

No, I got your point.

Do you think he hit the ball with any more velocity than some major league hitters today? Is there a single major league player today that you can imagine coming at all close to being thrown out at first on a ball hit to the wall?

Even if a Molina brother hit a rocket off the green monster with Jeff Franceour playing left, the play would not even be close.

260-280 feet to the corner, with a starting velocity of about 130 MPH (which is about as hard as you can hit a baseball)

The ball would hit the RF wall in about 2.2 seconds (assuming the ball travels about 320 feet - ball travels on a curved path). 0.5 seconds to field the ball and chuck it to the 1B. 1.8 seconds for the ball to travel from the RF to 1B. That's 4.5 seconds. A slow runner can easily take this long.

Archived