Matt Wieters WAR Is Officially 0.0

AJismyhero

The way some people have turned on Wieters is hysterically sad.

Hystera-sad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! This is why I hate Sabermetrics. Are you really going to ditch him because of this number?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you! This is why I hate Sabermetrics. Are you really going to ditch him because of this number?

The teams that have to deal with small payrolls, like the A's and Rays, focus heavily on sabermetrics to build their team. Just saying...

You hate Sabermetrics because some people don't think Matt Wieters is all that good? What?!

You know that Sabermetrics is the search for objective truths about baseball, right? How could anyone hate that? And what does it have to do with Wieters?

You hate Sabermetrics because some people don't think Matt Wieters is all that good? What?!

You know that Sabermetrics is the search for objective truths about baseball, right? How could anyone hate that? And what does it have to do with Wieters?

Because it was brought up earlier. Has he lived up potential, no. Is he a very good defensive catcher, yes.

Woah woah woAh. I'm not saying that at all kiddo.

Wieters is struggling right now. He is not the perennial MVP we all hoped he would be.

But the way people are just ready to dump him. For God sakes, its just ridiculous.

I predict that Wieters will have a solid second half.

Woah woah woAh. I'm not saying that at all kiddo.

Wieters is struggling right now. He is not the perennial MVP we all hoped he would be.

But the way people are just ready to dump him. For God sakes, its just ridiculous.

I predict that Wieters will have a solid second half.

I'm fine with who Wieters is...as long as the O's don't pay out the nose to keep him into his 30's, and they have other players who're better offensive pieces (which they obviously do right now).

I said this a few weeks ago and I'll say it again here: He's damn frustrating. He's a great defender, great at throwing out runners and as a big Orioles fan, I'm thrilled that we have a guy with his talent. Who's his replacement? Not sure, but there aren't a lot of catchers out there that I'd rather have, however that's more of a commentary on the lack of good catchers in the big leagues instead of saying that I really like Matt Wieters from an offensive perspective.

But I'm gonna back Pedro here, he sucks at hitting. Yes, he'll have a big September and finish with 20ish homers and maybe drag that batting average over .250 and hopefully have that OBP over .300 but it seems like it'll be an absolute struggle to get there. Let's not act like the guy isn't an automatic out for large stretches of time. I also said last week that if I'm an opposing pitcher and looking at the Orioles lineup, the person I'd love to face with two outs and RISP is whoever is playing 2nd base and Wieters. I have no expectations of him for when he comes to the plate, other than making an out. Take all the stats out of it and go with your gut....as an Orioles fan, with RISP and 2 outs what batters amongst our regulars would you NOT want in that situation? If you say anyone other than Wieters, I'd love to know why.

Let me be perfectly clear, this doesn't have to do with the hype around him when he was in the minors, that was a few years ago and that ship has sailed. It has to do with a guy that we give a large number of at bats to who was comparable to Robert Andino for significant stretches last summer. This is someone who has been out OPS'd by Ryan Flaherty for the month of June ( .789 > .638).

It's a good thing that he brings the defense that he does and pitchers say that they like throwing to him and pitch framing and blah blah blah cause...damn, he's just not a good hitter.

I love watching Wieters throw runners out, but you don't need sabermetrics to see that Matt Wieters' offense absolutely sucks right now. He's not just a mediocre hitter right now, he's been one of the worst hitting starting CATCHERS in baseball this year. And he's just absolutely stunk it up this month. His OPS for June is .638. I sure hope he gets hot soon. Unfortunately I don't think it's ridiculous or outlandish to think that Matt could slip to being a consistently mediocre hitter. Obviously it's still early enough that he can turn his season around (see JJ Hardy) and I am praying to the Oriole gods that he gets hot, but all those slow grounders to second are wearing down my optimism.

Matt Wieters is a bust. I hate to say it, but he is an offensive liability.

I don't think he's a bust. IMO, a bust is someone who just doesn't contribute anything. Billy Rowell is a bust. Wieters does bring some pop, but by and large I agree....he is an offensive liability.

And no one tell me "Well among catchers he's actually..." Just stop. STOP. Do not hit that Reply With Quote button. I don't want to hear it, it's not going to make me change my mind and quite frankly I don't care. Because all you're telling me that Wieters is slightly better amongst a group of players who are offensively challenged to begin with. If we were living in an era where there was a lot of great offensive catchers and we had Wieters, we'd be saying how he's just not up to par with the rest.

A bad OPS is a bad OPS, I don't care where it comes from and what position they play when the other team is up to bat. We give a lot of plate appearances to this dude each year and each year he scuffles along for months at a time being the arguably the easiest out in our lineup.

I don't think he's a bust. IMO, a bust is someone who just doesn't contribute anything. Billy Rowell is a bust. Wieters does bring some pop, but by and large I agree....he is an offensive liability.

And no one tell me "Well among catchers he's actually..." Just stop. STOP. Do not hit that Reply With Quote button. I don't want to hear it, it's not going to make me change my mind and quite frankly I don't care. Because all you're telling me that Wieters is slightly better amongst a group of players who are offensively challenged to begin with. If we were living in an era where there was a lot of great offensive catchers and we had Wieters, we'd be saying how he's just not up to par with the rest.

A bad OPS is a bad OPS, I don't care where it comes from and what position they play when the other team is up to bat. We give a lot of plate appearances to this dude each year and each year he scuffles along for months at a time being the arguably the easiest out in our lineup.

Well, I know you don't want to hear it, but some positions just hit better than others. That's just the way it is and it's one of the core foundations of determining player value.

Well, I know you don't want to hear it, but some positions just hit better than others. That's just the way it is and it's one of the core foundations of determining player value.

Whatever. All I know is that we've given 291 plate appearances to a .696 OPS so far this year and an OPS+ of 88. Just because Matt faces the a different direction from all the other fielders, squats behind home plate and throws some fingers down between his legs to tell a pitcher what to throw doesn't make me feel better about him hitting what he hits.

Whatever. All I know is that we've given 291 plate appearances to a .696 OPS so far this year and an OPS+ of 88. Just because Matt faces the a different direction from all the other fielders, squats behind home plate and throws some fingers down between his legs to tell a pitcher what to throw doesn't make me feel better about him hitting what he hits.

I don't think anyone is happy with the way Wieters is hitting so far this year.

Archived