Matt Wieters WAR Is Officially 0.0

AJismyhero

Sorry for derailing the thread here, I'm not at all trying to be argumentative for argument's sake. I'm genuinely intrigued by stories like this. Just sounds like one of those tall tales to me that people eventually believe are true. But hey, maybe it is true.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's so streaky, Nick will heat up too. It would be fun to see this offense over even a 10 day stretch with everyone clicking at the same time.

Yep. I just like Nick's approach up there. Even looks like Brob has a little pop left too. Could be a good second half with this starting pitching coming around.

Well, Wieters is certainly having a nice month (881 OPS).

726 OPS is only abut 20 points below his career mark.

For all the heat Wieters has taken around here, it wouldn't take that much for him to end up having an above average (for him) offensive year. And I hope he does.

For all the heat Wieters has taken around here, it wouldn't take that much for him to end up having an above average (for him) offensive year. And I hope he does.

:agree:

I dont get it,

Yet on here, there are some that believe a AAA catcher can replace him easy.

I saw this clip on oriole.com on Matt:

Instead, Wieters -- who is consistently lauded for his work behind the plate by the pitching staff and around the league -

I don't like to doubt you Drungo, but I can't believe this actually happened, unless he fell coming out of the batter's box or something.
Not sure you caught both pieces of what I said. Not only was he historically slow, he was a very fearsome batter. His career BA was 306, he won a pair of batting titles. He used to hit absolute rockets.

So not only was he slow, and right handed, but the ball got to the wall very quickly.

Of course it is also possible that Ernie wasn't "running" full out.

No, I got your point.

Do you think he hit the ball with any more velocity than some major league hitters today? Is there a single major league player today that you can imagine coming at all close to being thrown out at first on a ball hit to the wall?

Even if a Molina brother hit a rocket off the green monster with Jeff Franceour playing left, the play would not even be close.

Sorry to dredge up the three-week old sidebar part of this thread, but the story was that Lombardi thought the ball was going to be a homer and he stood and watched it until it hit the wall. I don't think it's that ridiculous to think a well-thrown relay from left could get a very slow runner at first. Especially since there were some outfield fences in Lombardi's era that were 250-275 feet from the plate.

Wieters certainly has looked a lot better at the plate since the AS break. Could it be the almost 5 day rest? Maybe BS should rest him a couple times a week or against pitchers he has trouble with. His offense at times isn't much better than Teagarden's. The day to day rigors of catching along with his size can really wear a player down.

Wieters certainly has looked a lot better at the plate since the AS break. Could it be the almost 5 day rest? Maybe BS should rest him a couple times a week or against pitchers he has trouble with. His offense at times isn't much better than Teagarden's. The day to day rigors of catching along with his size can really wear a player down.

Wieters had a .920 OPS in the 9 games preceding the All Star break. I just think he tneds to have hot and cold streaks -- like most players.

People say this same thing over and over again, but he's typically at his best towards the end of the season (after catching a ton of games) and not early on.

Wieters had a .920 OPS in the 9 games preceding the All Star break. I just think he tneds to have hot and cold streaks -- like most players.

Mark Reynolds is down to .687 OPS and he cant even play a position. I hope Matt stays hot for a bit though.

Mark Reynolds is down to .687 OPS and he cant even play a position. I hope Matt stays hot for a bit though.

I thought Mark played a much better 1st here, much better then his 3rd. Was he a defensive stud, no, but i thought he made some pretty good plays at first

I thought Mark played a much better 1st here, much better then his 3rd. Was he a defensive stud, no, but i thought he made some pretty good plays at first

I have no idea what Mark Reynolds has to do with this thread.

Archived