Why can't we trade for Chris Sale?

bt12483

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris_Sale062812.jpg

A crazy pic, & I think many are worried he may suffer from Lincecumitis down the road, but I do think he justifies the cost of what it would take to obtain him (& no I don't think a trade to the O's would actually ever happen).

I fear both Sale and Strausburg will suffer from Lincecumitis down the road.

No thanks.

Refer to photo on page 3

Tons of players in various sports have awkward deliveries or mechanics that never curtail their career. I'd rather look at his stats, which are pretty darn good.

Also, a still frame photo can be a very misleading representation because it is a mere instant in time.

Bedard, Glenn Davis and Doyle Alexander are great examples of trades that really bit teams in the butt. The Beckett/Lowell for Hanley/Anibal trade is what you'd hope for. The Yankees signing Sabathia (twice) was a huge risk both times. The fact is that risk can pay off and it can bit you in the butt. That's why it's risk.

I think the argument the doubters in this thread are making is that Sale's value to the ChiSox is and will remain enormous by virtue of his age and cost-controlled status. This means the O's really would have to sell the farm, so to speak, to acquire him and that may not even be possible without including Gausman, Bundy, Schoop and two guys like Hader and Hoes.

The point there is that Chicago can only be motivated to make this trade if they get a ton of potential cost controlled value back. That's a huge price to pay.

Bending your arm like Sale does like that in his delivery is actually a very efficient way to pitch. It adds multipliers and stuff like that and increases velocity. Randy Johnson was also a tall skinny lefty who threw like that. He never broke down and maintained velocity far too long.

Regarding money, you will have a hard time convincing me that we can't afford to spend more than we do.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that a) the O's have anything close to the resources of the Yanks and Sox, or that b) Angelos will allocate much more money than he currently does.

Who would be in favor of Bundy, Gausman, Harvey and Urrita for Sale? I would.

Harvey is ineligible to be traded at this juncture. But, theoretically, I don't think I'd personally be inclined to do that trade. I have no idea how the ChiSox FO or their fans would react either.

Archived