TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

I would have kept Flaherty as the starter because he was hot, so no big arguments there. Flaherty has shown this year and last that he can follow a hot streak with a super cold streak, so he could easily stink it up offensively the rest of the year. But I definitely agree that Flaherty's defense was better and that's part of the reason I would have kept him as the starter.

If Flaherty is the long term answer for 2nd, why did Buck say he could envision Schoops being his future 2nd basemen?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We should change your handle to FrobbyluvsBrob with little hearts afterwards. ;)

I will agree that it seems like Buck is not going to change, but we disagree that Roberts is the best option at second base.

I didn't say I thought he was the best option at 2B. I said Buck thinks that. I'm totally lukewarm on the subject.

~FrobbyislukewarmaboutBRob

I think we have to allow for the possibility that Roberts has a chance to improve the more he plays.

I saw a highlight, B-Rob came running up on a slow moving ground, bent over, scooped it up and fired to first. Something we used to see from a regular basis from him.

Strange enough, Roberts and his jogging down to first base is too pre-Buck to me, and he just seems slow. Maybe I was expecting too much but I was hoping for a flash here or there of the old Roberts. Just how he used to take pitchers completely off their game by jumping off first had (IMO) an intangible value, let alone turning a few singles into doubles by stealing. Which, of course, may be hypocritical, but the jogging to first is nitpicking when it comes to making a difference getting on base, but I do believe it makes a difference in principle. Note how Buck mentioned CD and Nate hustling in the 11-0 game - it's that mentality that makes me hate the 11-0 just a little less - jogging on a called third strike, as CD did, does not.

Although Roberts is a fan favorite, I know for a fact that Roberts "lack of hustle" at times has grated on people within the organization in the past. He knows how to say the right things, and four years ago he was a pretty darn good player, but the things that made Roberts a plus for a team are no longer there. He's a slow singles hitter who's bat has slowed to the point that he's cheating to get to fastballs and thus unable to effectively hit offspeed pitches. His below average defensively though he's not so bad that he'll kill a team, but he's not going to be plus any more. Flaherty is probably not the answer long term, but I have hard time believing he can't improve on what Roberts is giving the team right now.

Like I said once before, ask yourself this if you support Brian Roberts playing everyday, If Roberts did not have his background with the Orioles and was not making $10 million a year, and he was available as a free agent with his current skills, would the Orioles have signed him to be there everyday second baseman? Of course they would not.

Roberts was in the middle of the rally last night but realistically he should have snuffed out that rally because the ball he hit to SS was a tailor made double play that Villar just dropped.

I just think if Duquette is willing to give Delmonico for a rental, the Orioles should be playing their best players and starting a 34-year second baseman who hasn't been good since 2010 is not the best answer at second base.

If Flaherty is the long term answer for 2nd, why did Buck say he could envision Schoops being his future 2nd basemen?

I don't think he is the long term answer and didn't say that. I would have kept Flaherty starting over Roberts until Flaherty started stinking it up again offensively.

I may be in the minority here, but from my perspective BRob is still the best second baseman we have on our roster right now - period. End of story. He is a switch hitter and they usually won't bring in a different reliever to face him, and his double play turns are still quick and smoothly done, every bit as good as Faherty. Flaherty being young, does have more range but I think their defensive differences are negligble. BRob does see more pitches per AB * (didn't look it up but know from watching) than Flaherty and IMO has the better ability in situational hitting as well. He will get a sac fly when needed or usually move the runner along. I agree with Buck, sorry Tony - Roberts should be out there.

I may be in the minority here, but from my perspective BRob is still the best second baseman we have on our roster right now - period. End of story. He is a switch hitter and they usually won't bring in a different reliever to face him, and his double play turns are still quick and smoothly done, every bit as good as Faherty. Flaherty being young, does have more range but I think their defensive differences are negligble. BRob does see more pitches per AB * (didn't look it up but know from watching) than Flaherty and IMO has the better ability in situational hitting as well. He will get a sac fly when needed or usually move the runner along. I agree with Buck, sorry Tony - Roberts should be out there.

Depends what you mean by "negligible." I have estimated (both on the eye test and by looking at stats) that a ball gets past BRob that Flaherty would have gotten about once every 2-3 games. I don't consider that negligible, but perhaps you do.

BRob does see more pitches per AB * (didn't look it up but know from watching) than Flaherty

So of course I had to look this up - and first off - the highest P/PA for 2B in all of MLB is our very own Yamaico Navarro at 4.48 - and Flaherty is slightly ahead of Roberts at 3.73 to 3.69 - but that's an effective dead heat.

P/PA

B-Rob: 3.69

Flaherty: 3.69

Casilla: 3.23

But I agree, Roberts is much better at situational hitting.

Of course using situational hitting stats has its draw backs because of the SSS equated with them.

Here's some more information, only the Mariners Dustin Ackley at -0.6 WAR is worse than Brian Roberts -0.5 WAR amongst AL starting second basemans. Ryan Flaherty is at 0.1 WAR despite his horrible start at the beginning of the year.

Since 2010, Roberts is tied with Bill Hall for the worse WAR (-1.5) amongst second baseman in baseball.

On a tangent - my company is getting maximum value out of me right now as I discuss the difference of 4 one/hundredths of a pitch per plate appearance between Orioles second baseman.

Think how much they'd enjoy if you took the day off! (just kidding)

I may be in the minority here, but from my perspective BRob is still the best second baseman we have on our roster right now - period. End of story.

I don't think it's anywhere near that clear cut.

He is a switch hitter and they usually won't bring in a different reliever to face him

Does it matter that he's a switch hitter if he's slugging .286 against lefties? That's awful! Sadly, Flaherty is equally inept (in a small sample size) against lefties. Casilla is the best of them against lefties....which reinforces how strange it is to have both Flaherty and Roberts on the same roster.

and his double play turns are still quick and smoothly done, every bit as good as Flaherty

I disagree.....his turn is smooth but a little slower and his throws are noticeably slower as well.

Flaherty being young, does have more range but I think their defensive differences are negligble

I disagree.....I've seen a number of balls get by Roberts that I felt Flaherty would have reached. The big question is if produces enough on offense to offset what he lacks in the field by comparison. I don't see it.

BRob does see more pitches per AB * (didn't look it up but know from watching) than Flaherty and IMO has the better ability in situational hitting as well. He will get a sac fly when needed or usually move the runner along.

I do agree with this.

I get that B-Rob isn't what B-Rob was at one time.

I don't buy that the FO is pushing Buck to play B-Rob.

I think Buck wants to win, and Buck believes his best chance is with B-Rob.

No matter how metrics are posted and what they say, for now, B-Rob is getting penciled into the lineup for every day he isn't away on paternity leave.

Not until Britt says it is. :)

I might have misread this

Orioles placed 2B Brian Roberts on the paternity leave list.

Advice: Roberts will soon welcome his first child. He will probably be away from the Orioles for three days.

More: Roch Kubatko on Twitter

Archived