Nick Hasn't Bunted Since 2007?

Rene88

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would expect an everyday medic to have emergencies rather more often then combat medics assigned to a unit in garrison.

Interesting assumption. I think I would too? As an everyday medic though there are several skills I've never done other besides in practice. I've been waiting to decompress someone for years.

I would expect an everyday medic to have emergencies rather more often then combat medics assigned to a unit in garrison.
Interesting assumption. I think I would too? As an everyday medic though there are several skills I've never done other besides in practice. I've been waiting to decompress someone for years.

Can you really expect to have a very high level of success performing a medical procedure under high-stress conditions that you've never done outside of practice?

If the skills are adequate and the training is good, yes. Pretty much goes for most anything imo.

I call BS on that.

I have been trained in CPR as a volunteer EMT (In my younger days). We did the training every single year to maintain our certification.

Thank God, I never had to use the procedures in real life, which is so much different, than a plastic dummy.

I call BS on that.

I have been trained in CPR as a volunteer EMT (In my younger days). We did the training every single year to maintain our certification.

Thank God, I never had to use the procedures in real life, which is so much different, than a plastic dummy.

Then I would argue you were not adequately trained.

Can you really expect to have a very high level of success performing a medical procedure under high-stress conditions that you've never done outside of practice?

You shouldn't need a very high level of success. Just a getting by level of success should be fine. With Medics that would be stabilizing the patient until they can get further help and for a bunter it means just getting one down and fair. Not like they are asking him to bunt for a hit or against a drawn in infield.

Do you really train as often and as thoroughly for rarely-used procedures as you do for ones you might use daily or weekly?

Running through the computerized shooting gallery for cops even daily, is still no replacement, for actually being involved in a life and death shootout, with live bystanders.

I honestly don't know why there are so many people on here defending the fact that Nick may not practice a basic skill of baseball simply because he doesn't use it that much. This is his job that he gets paid very well to do. Having limited batting practice time is an non-issue. They have batting cages under the stadium that he is welcome to come in at any time and use. He has an entire offseason that he can practice this skill along with others. I'm not saying he needs to be a master at bunting, but he should have the skills necessary to lay one down in situations like yesterday.

I honestly don't know why there are so many people on here defending the fact that Nick may not practice a basic skill of baseball simply because he doesn't use it that much. This is his job that he gets paid very well to do. Having limited batting practice time is an non-issue. They have batting cages under the stadium that he is welcome to come in at any time and use. He has an entire offseason that he can practice this skill along with others. I'm not saying he needs to be a master at bunting, but he should have the skills necessary to lay one down in situations like yesterday.

We don't know that Nick has issues with his bunting. Maybe he is a perfectly adequate sac bunter that isn't asked to perform.

We don't know that Nick has issues with his bunting. Maybe he is a perfectly adequate sac bunter that isn't asked to perform.

Ok.....That is a valid point. I guess my next question would be why not? I find it hard to believe that in 6 years there hasn't ever been a situation where a bunt was the best play for the team when he was up to bat. I just saw a situation last night where a bunt was the best play for the team and he didn't do it.

Correct answer.

I think its like stealing, certain guys, have the green light to do what they want, like Brandy and Bunting.

Others is situational and called from the dugout.

Archived