The Blame Game

isestrex

What is the PRIMARY reason for the Orioles missing the playoffs  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What is the PRIMARY reason for the Orioles missing the playoffs

• Duquette's offseason moves last winter
    • Buck's Decision making (lineup, bullpen)
    • Jim Johnson's 9 blown saves
    • Markakis/Wieters poor seasons
    • Duquette's trade deadline moves
    • Rotation as a whole
    • Hitters with RISP
    • Hitters lack of walks / too many K's
    • Other (please explain)
    • Nothing. It's just one of those years.

This poll is closed to new votes

I wouldn't.

We win as a team, and we lose as a team.

One week ago, we were 81-70 with a very real shot at getting one of the 2 wildcard spots.

Now, we're 81-76, and have been mathematically eliminated.

We could have done better in these last 6 games, and we could have done better in those first 151 games, and we did neither.

There is plenty of blame to go around for each and every missed opportunity that we have had this season.

Yeap and Jim Johnson has only pitched once in the last week and hasn't lost a game, blown a save or allowed a run.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, and Jim Johnson has only pitched once in the last week and hasn't lost a game, blown a save, or allowed a run.

Correct.

We went 0-6 in the last week when we desperately needed to go at least 3-3 or 4-2, and it (the 0-6 streak) had nothing to do with Jimmy Johnson.

If you wanna blame one person. Pick a sport that only has one person to blame. Golf, tennis, wrestling or Nascar to name a few.

NASCAR is a team game. I have seen driver's lose a race, because of a mistake in the pit by a crew member on the last pit stop of the race. You have spotters in the stands helping you, which you depend on, you also have a crew chief, which is the head coach, telling you when to pit, and when to stay out. He makes a mistake and it does cost you the race.

A game in April and May is worth as many wins as a game in September. Recently we've seen the starting pitching get it's act together relatively speaking. It's been Ok.

Early in the year the rotation was in shambles. We missed the playoffs due to this. Tillman was the only effective starter, Chen was out. Garcia, Hammel, Gausman, etc. were disasters that prevented us from capitalizing on such a strong offensive start to the season.

I would say in a close decision over Jim Johnson the starters are to blame.

How about this reason. We lost 38 games this season by 1 or 2 runs. In those 38 games the offense hit .202 with RISP.

I say nobody is to blame. Relievers are volatile, it happens. Hitters on this team are hackers, we knew that. Starting pitching wasn't good, we've known that all season. I blame a lack of talent and depth overall, I don't blame any particular part of the team or player. Those blaming Johnson, Rodney has blown 8, and Tazawa for Boston has blown 8. They seem to have recovered okay.

I agree with Malike here, no one person or group is to blame, it's a team effort. However, I think DD's inactivity last off season started us off on the wrong foot. He needs to do better this off season.

I agree with Malike here, no one person or group is to blame, it's a team effort. However, I think DD's inactivity last off season started us off on the wrong foot. He needs to do better this off season.

Was it inactivity, or was it, nobody could be had, that fit into their budget and worth bringing in?

Archived