Cal Ripken's Legacy

TonySoprano

Since nothing else seems to be getting through I guess we could pull out the "have you seen a game from the 70s on ESPN Classic?" defense. The players look skinny (or fat), pitchers obviously aren't throwing as hard, batters swing at junk no one would offer at today... it's pretty obvious.

I know this was meant as sarcasm but I bet they could do a lot of things from analyzing video and translating it to data. Especially all the archived video from that era.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this is kind of a side to the whole discussion, but when discussing what player is better I like to assume that the older players would have the modern advantages. If you just take Babe Ruth as is from 1927, and drop him in MLB today, he's probably not very good. But, if he grows up with all the advantages that guys around him have, I have little doubt that he's still one of the best ever.

I would hope that is NJ Bird's point. Otherwise, I'm not at all sure what he's getting at.

But of course. That's part of the point. What these guys are saying makes no sense. I guess in their world even if you could grab Ty Cobb and plop him into today's line up, what do you do, not allow him to watch video? My point is the greats would be great or very good. Not AAA.

I know this is kind of a side to the whole discussion, but when discussing what player is better I like to assume that the older players would have the modern advantages. If you just take Babe Ruth as is from 1927, and drop him in MLB today, he's probably not very good. But, if he grows up with all the advantages that guys around him have, I have little doubt that he's still one of the best ever.

I would hope that is NJ Bird's point. Otherwise, I'm not at all sure what he's getting at.

Concur. Except that he won't be as good relative to today's players because the average (and low end) is so much higher.

If Frank Robinson were born in 1975 he would likely be a better player than he actually was. But his numbers would likely be worse relative to the league.

Then he would ask if Chapman and Kimbrel were creatures from a Jules Verne novel.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gAjR4_CbPpQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We are a more physically diverse species.

Maybe the O's didn't pay Cal enough and he has a chip on his shoulder. He sees what guys are making now, and wishes he got paid like that. So now he just wants to make more money, and doesn't care about the O's.

That's my theory.

I would hope that 70 million, plus all the endorsements he has had over the years, would be enough to keep him happy.

I would hope that 70 million, plus all the endorsements he has had over the years, would be enough to keep him happy.

It's never enough when you are that rich. They always want more. Look at his career earnings. It would explain his strange behavior towards the O's. I saw he was doing the broadcast last night, why didn't he do it last year when the O's made the playoffs?

If he was playing today, in 3 years he would make the same amount as he did in his career.

Year Age Team Annaul Salary

1983 22 Baltimore Orioles $180,000

1984 23 Baltimore Orioles $700,000

1985 24 Baltimore Orioles $800,000

1986 25 Baltimore Orioles $1,150,000

1987 26 Baltimore Orioles $1,350,000

1988 27 Baltimore Orioles $1,700,000

1989 28 Baltimore Orioles $2,466,667

1990 29 Baltimore Orioles $1,316,667

1991 30 Baltimore Orioles $2,566,667

1992 31 Baltimore Orioles $2,100,000

1993 32 Baltimore Orioles $5,200,000

1994 33 Baltimore Orioles $5,500,000

1995 34 Baltimore Orioles $6,700,000

1996 35 Baltimore Orioles $6,650,000

1997 36 Baltimore Orioles $6,850,000

1998 37 Baltimore Orioles $6,400,000

1999 38 Baltimore Orioles $6,500,000*

2000 39 Baltimore Orioles $6,300,000*

2001 40 Baltimore Orioles $6,300,000

Career Earnings: $70,730,001

http://celebnetworth.org/cal-ripken-jr-net-worth-salary

Yea, 70 million, I just said that.

Well if Cal wants more money maybe he should talk to Magic Johnson, who only made 18 million in salary during his career and is now worth 500 million.

Money makes people do strange things. Also 70 million isn't that much when you own mansions and yachts and already spent who knows how much.

Cal's net worth only says 25 million. What happened to the other 50 million?

Charitable contributions?

Or he spent a huge chunk of it and he wants more. That's my theory. There is no money in supporting the O's. Look at Jim Palmer, net worth 3 million. You don't see him galivanting around kissing the Yankees behind while at the same time dissing the O's greats.

Archived