Yankees get Beltran

Greg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just have to laugh at the gluttony and disregard for averages that they carry year over year.

I really doubt anyone's afraid of the Yankees. I don't think they're any better than they were last year, really.

Like the Red Sox last year, they are coming off a season where they experienced an absurd number of injuries. If they stay healthier, their offense will be MUCH better than last year -- book it! However, they have some work to do on their pitching. Let's see what they do there.

I'm not the least surprised at their spending so far. Don't forget they have Pettitte, Rivera, Granderson and Cano off the books, and Jeter signed for less than before. If ARod's suspension holds, that's another $25 mm. Did anyone doubt they would reinvest that money in the team?

Weams I have to be glad the O's didn't get him. 38 year old ball players really

don't work out all that well. So if the Yankees want to waste money like that then

let them. IMO

Beltran will be 37 in April. So this will be his age 37-39 seasons. My guess is he'll put up good numbers in Yankee Stadium for the first year or two. It's a move that probably makes sense for New York, but would not have made sense for the Orioles.

Beltran will be 37 in April. So this will be his age 37-39 seasons. My guess is he'll put up good numbers in Yankee Stadium for the first year or two. It's a move that probably makes sense for New York, but would not have made sense for the Orioles.

So you hope to get 2 good years from him and hey maybe he will retire or you just have to release him.....even if you have to eat some salary it will still be OK

If he matches his 2013 numbers (which he could easily do in Yankee stadium) it's a fair contract.

I agree with you on a bunch of things so dont take this personal. But I just dont see this. Lets sum up this offseason so far

Red Sox- Lost Elsbury, Salty, maybe Drew and Napoli. Can Koji repeat? Can Peavy, Lackey, Bucholz, Lester going to stay healthy? Jackie Bradley sucks. I'm sorry he does. He aint the second coming of Kenny Lofton. Ortiz is a year older and can Victorino repeat his surprise year? I think they've taken a huge step back as of now. So did they lose or gain

Yankees- They just lost Cano, and his 7.6 WAR, to SEA. So the bring in McCann and Beltran from the NL. No Rivera(GOAT). They can't sign anymore OF'ers. Am I afraid of their lineup or rotation? How bout the defense? So did they lose or gain?

Rays- They lose Rodney. Probably Price too. Dejesus and Hanigan were good pickups. No more Loney in a career year. Can't wait to see Heath Bell in the AL East. So did they lose or gain?

Blue Jays- Lost Josh Johnson and Arencibia.

O's- Lost Feldman who we skipped while still in the hunt. JJ who blew how many saves? IDK too not over it to look it up. Mcclouth. Great first half. All I gotta say. Lose or gain? Looks like to me we got a revamped BP and moves are still to be made.

You guys need to calm the f down.

Some of those "losses" aren't all that big. I mean, Josh Johnson, he of the +6.00 ERA, is that a big loss? The Sox "lost" Saltalamacchia, but gained Pierzynski. That's a wash. And Napoli's staying.

You just have to laugh at the gluttony and disregard for averages that they carry year over year.

I really doubt anyone's afraid of the Yankees. I don't think they're any better than they were last year, really.

I was convinced that Beltran's last contract would be that absolute top of what he could get. Especially with a pick attached.

Maybe Beltran goes the Raul Ibanez path. Perhaps the traditional drop-offs in performance and age might extend out a bit further for today's athletes, particularly hitters who have been successful. Don't know if there is specific data about this question but it would be interesting. The overall trend in all players has been for peak performances to be moving older but I can't find much data about the smaller group that players like Ibanez, Beltran might fit into.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9933

Archived