Wells 21 M

Tbag 22.5

CC 23.5

Ellsbury 21.8

Soriano 18 M

McCann 17M

Koroda 16M

Beltran 15 M

The Yankees owe Soriano $5MM and Wells $2.4MM.

My question is does their entire salary count against this 189 number or only the portion that the Yankees owe? It makes a big difference.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wells 21 M

Tbag 22.5 M

CC 23.5 M

Ellsbury 21.8 M

Soriano 18 M

McCann 17M

Koroda 16M

Beltran 15 M

Jeter 12 M

Ichiro 6.5M

Robertson arb. 5 M

Gardner arb. 4M

Ryan 2M

Kelly .935 M

Everybody else 3.5MThat's 183M without ARoid, and they haven't added to their pen, and SP. Tanaka?

Vernon Wells

acquired by NY Yankees in trade from LA Angels 3/24/13, with Angels paying $28.1M, Yankees $13.9M ($11.5M in 2013, $2.4M in 2014) of remaining $42M in salary

Soriano

acquired by NY Yankees in trade from Chicago Cubs 7/26/13 (Yankees pay $1.8M of 2013 salary and $5M of 2014 salary)

Back to the cellar we go. Duquette says Steve Pearce is an option for Left Field. Have to laugh at this point.

I knew when Reimold and Pearce were resigned that was bad news. Pearce can't hit right handed pitching. Reimold can't field or hit.

I am not usually one to post or reply but I've had "all I can stands and can stands no more"..

The MFYs have taken the game of Baseball that I love, that I have watched for 45 years, and they are ruining my game. Since when is it fair (in baseball) that the one with the most marbles wins? is that the way the game was played 100 years ago? 50 years ago? How about even 25 years ago? I'm sure I will see the obligatory posts responding with "that's just the way it is deal with it" but I just can't. I can't accept a game that is so obviously jaded...

Every year I watch this insane charade go on and all I do is shake my head and go, "there they go again!"

Ladies and Gentlemen, your New York Yankees, the best team money can buy!

I know this is just a rant and far from constructive, as I have no answers... sadly I am not that intelligent a guy. But I know one thing: Other Major League sports have a found a way to circumvent this and make the playing field more level. And until MLB does that, it becomes more and more of a joke each year. Up until the time that this became a joke, back in the 70's and 80's, no one and nothing could compare to my love of the game. Now I'm not so sure... Now I go to the games, I watch every game just like you all do, but there is a definite chink in the armor...

It's just sad, watching this and knowing that the biggest thing out of the Oriole camp today was signing a reliever for 2.5 mil... and don't get me wrong, he might be good and an important piece of our bullpen, but I'm watching all this and I'm fuming.

Just one guy's opinion...

Totally valid rant.

MLB has long been a game of haves and have-nots, with the Yankees consistently being among the former. But it certainly seems more pronounced today than ever. I love me some baseball, but it absolutly feels like something is broken.

There was some speculation tonight on NY sports radio about the Yankees trading Gardner for a second baseman. I think I can find a team that has a second sacker or two that it could spare. :new_wave:

Yeah, I think they'd want somebody good though. How funny would it be if the Yankees signed Brob.

Guest rochester
Soriano

Wells

Gardner

Ichrio

Ellsbury

Beltran

Do the Yankees realize this isn't softball and can play 4 OFers at a time?

I think their plan is to buy every single MLB player then win the WSeries by forfeit/default.

Maybe this absurd spree will finally bring about a hard cap. It's like the MFY are holding a fantasy draft.

Some folks on the board seem to forget: This is a typical Yankee offseason. The past couple years of moderate hot stove activity on their part was unusual... when you look back over the past 15 years or so. Get used to it, folks. Before 2012's breakout season, there was a time when we competed with the Yankees consistently. That was a long time ago, when Pat Gillick was here, wisely spending lots of money on good players. The straw man argument about "spending money just to spend money"... who's saying we should do that? Nobody. Most people are thinking about productive but imperfect acquisitions like a Beltran.

Right now we're a 4th place team in east.

I agree with you on a bunch of things so dont take this personal. But I just dont see this. Lets sum up this offseason so far

Red Sox- Lost Elsbury, Salty, maybe Drew and Napoli. Can Koji repeat? Can Peavy, Lackey, Bucholz, Lester going to stay healthy? Jackie Bradley sucks. I'm sorry he does. He aint the second coming of Kenny Lofton. Ortiz is a year older and can Victorino repeat his surprise year? I think they've taken a huge step back as of now. So did they lose or gain

Yankees- They just lost Cano, and his 7.6 WAR, to SEA. So the bring in McCann and Beltran from the NL. No Rivera(GOAT). They can't sign anymore OF'ers. Am I afraid of their lineup or rotation? How bout the defense? So did they lose or gain?

Rays- They lose Rodney. Probably Price too. Dejesus and Hanigan were good pickups. No more Loney in a career year. Can't wait to see Heath Bell in the AL East. So did they lose or gain?

Blue Jays- Lost Josh Johnson and Arencibia.

O's- Lost Feldman who we skipped while still in the hunt. JJ who blew how many saves? IDK too not over it to look it up. Mcclouth. Great first half. All I gotta say. Lose or gain? Looks like to me we got a revamped BP and moves are still to be made.

You guys need to calm the f down.

Totally valid rant.

MLB has long been a game of haves and have-nots, with the Yankees consistently being among the former. But it certainly seems more pronounced today than ever. I love me some baseball, but it absolutly feels like something is broken.

Really? Valid? Today? Didn't the Yankees just pass on Cano and his 6.9 WAR each of the last two years at approx. $24M per for Carlos Beltran at 2.4 (value will go higher if he is used mostly at DH) WAR for $15M?

They could have picked up 4.5 WAR for $9M (excluding luxury tax possibilities - OMG, an owner hurting his mlb team for profits alert) and passed. Crazy.

The NYY now have pretty much locked in Beltran at DH so if anyone gets kind of injured they will put a well below average OFer (maybe 1B) in RF. The NYY will have a 40 year old SS. They may win and they may indeed avoid the luxury tax but they are a shell of what they were four to seven years ago. How many guys need to get injured for that team to be in major trouble? Perhaps only CC and Ellsbury. Tex hasn't hit to an ops over .850 in four years, Ichiro's opb is under .310 three of the last four years. Soriano is 38 and hasn't had an obp over .325 since 2008.

The NYY may be 90+ win team on paper, maybe not, but they are getting to be a laughable collection of players. Nothing that should rise to the point of giving up on baseball.

Really? Valid? Today? Didn't the Yankees just pass on Cano and his 6.9 WAR each of the last two years at approx. $24M per for Carlos Beltran at 2.4 (value will go higher if he is used mostly at DH) WAR for $15M?

They could have picked up 4.5 WAR for $9M (excluding luxury tax possibilities - OMG, an owner hurting his mlb team for profits alert) and passed. Crazy.

The NYY now have pretty much locked in Beltran at DH so if anyone gets kind of injured they will put a well below average OFer (maybe 1B) in RF. The NYY will have a 40 year old SS. They may win and they may indeed avoid the luxury tax but they are a shell of what they were four to seven years ago. How many guys need to get injured for that team to be in major trouble? Perhaps only CC and Ellsbury. Tex hasn't hit to an ops over .850 in four years, Ichiro's opb is under .310 three of the last four years. Soriano is 38 and hasn't had an obp over .325 since 2008.

The NYY may be 90+ win team on paper, maybe not, but they are getting to be a laughable collection of players. Nothing that should rise to the point of giving up on baseball.

They aint the Miami Heat.

Archived