Balfour speaks...

MemorialStadKid

Thank you. There's a big dog reason Beane didnt' want him back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wondering why <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Athletics&src=hash">#Athletics</a> didn't do such a deal w/ Balfour? He was looking for 3 years at that point. A's happy w/ 1year Johnson commitment.</p>— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) <a href="

">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wondering why <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Athletics&src=hash">#Athletics</a> didn't do such a deal w/ Balfour? He was looking for 3 years at that point. A's happy w/ 1year Johnson commitment.</p>— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) <a href="
">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess good for them.

O's sent him to Andrews, Andrews examined him and said it was a flexor problem. Did an injection of platelet-rich plasma and 6 weeks of "rest". Had a flow up exam (with another MRI) by Andrews and was "cleared". Bundy started throwing regularly on June 10th/11th and by June 24th on 120ft Long Toss his was experiencing pain again. The tear was always there. Andrews missed it.

I've quoted this in multiple threads before, but nonetheless: MRI does not see everything, especially tiny tears in a ligament the size of a linguini noodle ~2cm long and that is buried in a mass of tendons with almost identical imaging qualities. Andrews himself published a paper quoting that MRI picks up only 60-70% of UCL tears.

These things are not absolute and suboptimal outcomes happen even in the setting of flawless medical treatment. There isn't always a scapegoat.

3 steps... 8 steps...... just numbers.

Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports that the Orioles and Phillies have discussed potential trades involving closer Jonathan Papelbon.

Kubatko is quick to note however that a deal isn't imminent and that the Phillies would have to eat a large portion of the $39 million that Papelbon has remaining on his contract over the next three seasons. If the two sides are able to strike a deal, Papelbon also has a limited no-trade clause and may need to approve a trade. The O's are scouring the market after they backed out of their out of their deal with Grant Balfour on Friday.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Right there on the front page.

Baltimore's at 81.5 mil, 10th cheapest in the majors.

76.2 New York Mets

75.8 Chicago Cubs

75.0 Minnesota

73.1 San Diego

71.0 Oakland

69.0 Pittsburgh

66.2 Tampa (one Nick Markakis contract away from the Orioles)

Miami and Houston have payrolls in the 30s.

Wow. That's some august company we're keeping. None of these teams except for Tampa and Miami has won anything significant in about a million years - I'm talking about actual league pennants or WS titles. Yeah, the A's are a great story every year (how are they DOING that??). Minnesota had a great run several decades ago. But the A's never seem to make it to the big dance. And the Twins just cannot seem to win consistently.

Twould be interesting to add the number of regular-season and playoff wins over the past decade, handicapped for how deep into the playoffs the game appears. In other words, game 1 would be worth 1 point, say... game 2 would be worth 2 points and so on. So you could get up to 7 points for one win.

In this case, game 5 of the World Series would be worth more than game 4.

The point of this would be to exaggerate the success and punish the failure, to get a really sensitive comparison of how effective franchises are over time. Of course, that would be measuring only wins (worth one point each) and playoff wins (worth 1-7 points each). So it's a pretty crude instrument.

But to me, the A's story is getting old, because it never culminates in anything but surprise entries and early exits.

I actually grew up with the A's as my team (Northern California). And besides the O's, which are of course my favorite team, I love the A's. I can remember as a kid watching Fred Stanley play at the Colosseum.

The funny thing is, I feel like the A's have just outmaneuvered us on guys like Cespedes. They've also spent a lot more on FA pitching, which is practically criminal at this point. They don't just make little moves - Rule 5 stuff. They make really bold trades. They execute. Hell, Beane has a horrible reputation for taking peoples' lunch money in trade negotiations. People, from what I have read and heard, are flat-out scared to trade with him. Yet he STILL manages to execute trades - including really ballsy ones like trading away their ace pitchers over and over. And now, Beane's starting to dip into the FA pool for pitchers.

It just feels to me like there's more going on here than "shrewdness" when it comes to the Orioles' inactivity.

Archived