Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

You know i really didn't realize how poor a year CC had last year. Especially his second half.

Okay so lets do this again:

Kuroda

Tanaka - Tillman

CC - Gausman

Nova - Chen

SP - Gonzo

xx - Norris

I disagree with a lot of this, namely that Gausman is our number two. Here is how I see our rotations stacking up.

Tanaka > Tillman (though not by a ton)

CC > Chen

Kuroda > Gonzalez

Nova = Norris

Pineda/? = Gausman/?

The Yankees rotation is better.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tell you what, everyone who is throwing the last bit of dirt on the Yankees grave, make a prediction right now of how many games they will win, what place they will finish in AL East, and where the Orioles will be in relation.

Let's cut all this nonsense and get some real predictions of their "average at best" team with some concrete win totals attached to it. We will pull this thread up in about 10 months and see how accurate those predictions were.

The numbers Frobby posted about the injuries for them last year are insane. You are talking the equivalent of 10 players missing an entire season, a lot of them coming from their most valuable players.

And they STILL won 85 games.

Just to underscore the point about the injuries, the most-injured team in the AL East in 2012 was -- the Red Sox, who missed 1,155 games due to injuries. Look what happened when they got healthier in 2013 and made a few key acquisitions that turned out well for them. A lot of Oriole fans were writing them off before the 2013 season began. So, there is a very solid chance that the Yankees will improve a lot in 2014 based on what they've done and beign healthier. The counterweight is that their record last year was six games better than it "should" have been based on runs scored and allowed.

Ryan at SS and Jeter at 3B wouldn't surprise me, or be too horrible most likely. Then Johnson and Roberts could slug it out for 2B.

There is no way Jeter can play 3B, and no way Girardi will put him there to embarrass himself. If Jeter doesn't get hurt, either the Yankees will ignore reality and pretend that he can still play SS, or he will DH.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2014/01/15/a-quick-word-on-the-idea-of-moving-derek-jeter-to-third-base/

I hope you're right, but I think your opinion is colored by who you root for and against. There's a decent chance that CC bounces back.

Yep, agree 100%. Love the Yankees hate but let's be real folks: Tanaka is a great signing and they have deep pockets to make changes when need be.

I disagree with a lot of this, namely that Gausman is our number two. Here is how I see our rotations stacking up.

Tanaka > Tillman (though not by a ton)

CC > Chen

Kuroda > Gonzalez

Nova = Norris

Pineda/? = Gausman/?

The Yankees rotation is better.

Pineda is not a MLB pitcher. He is a torn labrum guy.

CC is Done.

Tanaka never threw a MLB baseball. Is his hand big enough to throw a splitter with a MLB ball? It is like saying that a great double A pitcher is a top of the rotation MLB starter. We don't know. We wont know. This is not a big guy like Darvish who has different genetics.

Kuroda is great. And I think he is 40.

He got beat around no doubt. However, coming out of the pen in the second half he was pretty dang good. I get the feeling that he makes a leap, he might not be out "number 2" starter at the start of the season, I am taking a risk and saying he will be that guy by the end of the season.

I don't take a lot of comfort in how Gausman did in the bullpen. Look at how much better Hunter and Matusz have been in bullpen roles. Maintaining stuff and command over 6+ innings is much harder than doing it for 1-2 innings. Again, I like Gausman long-term, bu I don't think his apprenticeship is nearly complete. I hope you're right, though, because that would be a game-changer for us.

Yep, agree 100%. Love the Yankees hate but let's be real folks: Tanaka is a great signing and they have deep pockets to make changes when need be.

He put the Yankees over the luxury tax. If AROD is reinstated next season, the Yankees are in for five years of max penalty.

He put the Yankees over the luxury tax. If AROD is reinstated next season, the Yankees are in for five years of max penalty.

So what...they care about winning, they will spend.

Is there a reasonably good chance of Arod being reinstated?

Archived