2014 College Prospects

I was impressed by two pitchers this weekend and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them before.

Matt Imhof - lhp - Cal Poly

this year 1.89 era 26 k, 9 bb (3 are hbp) in 19 inn.

last year 2.79 era 95 k, 45 bb (15 are hbp) in 101 inn.

Also did well playing for Team USA over the summer

Austin Robichaux - rhp - Univ Louisiana Lafayette

this year 1.29 era, 19 k, 6 bb (1 hbp) in 21 inn.

last year 3.05 era, 88 k, 47 bb (25) in 109 inn.

They are both 6'5" or over. They are both Juniors. They should both have good upside due to size (also Robichaux is listed as 170 lbs so he has a lot of room to grow) and being young college level players (Imhof will be 20 and Robichaux will be 21 at the time of the draft).

What is the likelihood these guys make it to the third round?

Doubtful that Imhof will make it there. I think he's got a chance at coming off the board in the late first round. He's a sizable lefty that throws a low 90's fastball with a good curveball and changeup. Needs to sharpen command but looks like a potential mid-rotation starter in the bigs to me.

Robichaux on the other hand should be available. Don't know much about him other than he's lanky as a twig and throws in the low 90's.

I was impressed by two pitchers this weekend and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them before.

Matt Imhof - lhp - Cal Poly

this year 1.89 era 26 k, 9 bb (3 are hbp) in 19 inn.

last year 2.79 era 95 k, 45 bb (15 are hbp) in 101 inn.

Also did well playing for Team USA over the summer

Austin Robichaux - rhp - Univ Louisiana Lafayette

this year 1.29 era, 19 k, 6 bb (1 hbp) in 21 inn.

last year 3.05 era, 88 k, 47 bb (25) in 109 inn.

They are both 6'5" or over. They are both Juniors. They should both have good upside due to size (also Robichaux is listed as 170 lbs so he has a lot of room to grow) and being young college level players (Imhof will be 20 and Robichaux will be 21 at the time of the draft).

What is the likelihood these guys make it to the third round?

Imhof is a known commodity who is likely to be off the board prior to the end of the third round barring issues this spring. I'd guess second to early-3rd with a shot at supplemental 1st. He's an 88-92 lefty with life and a solid slider. The change up is really inconsistent and he often goes just 2-pitch, so I don't see him as a legit candidate for 1st rd right now given how deep the draft is.

Robichaux is more likely to make it to the 3rd round and is probably slotted closer to 3-5th round right now. Obviously stock could rise with uptick in stuff, but again it's a really deep class, particularly among college arms.

• 1 month later...

Where do you suspect Troy pitcher Shane McCain will go in the draft?

6'1" Lefty R-Sr. Also had shoulder surgery 2 years ago. Pretty good stats in a higher level mid-major conference. Looks like he is having some command issues, but it isn't hurting his ERA or his strikeout rate.

2014 -2.61 ERA, 69 IP, 35 BB, 75 K, .221 b/avg

2013 - 3.48 ERA, 98 IP, 27 BB, 105 K, ..228 b/avg

Where do you suspect Troy pitcher Shane McCain will go in the draft?

6'1" Lefty R-Sr. Also had shoulder surgery 2 years ago. Pretty good stats in a higher level mid-major conference. Looks like he is having some command issues, but it isn't hurting his ERA or his strikeout rate.

2014 -2.61 ERA, 69 IP, 35 BB, 75 K, .221 b/avg

2013 - 3.48 ERA, 98 IP, 27 BB, 105 K, ..228 b/avg

He might make a decent Senior sign type who could move along quickly as a reliever in the minors if that strikeout rate translates to pro ball.

• 3 months later...
Kyle Schwarber (C/1B) of Indiana definitely one to to follow. Best hitter by far in the Big Ten. Tremendous raw power too

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/ten-2014-draft-picks-who-have-been-quick-to-click?ymd=20140807&content_id=88391324&vkey=news_mlb

Kyle Schwarber, C/OF, Cubs: Any talk about successful debuts from this class should start with the No. 4 overall pick. This Indiana product signed quickly and has already played at three levels, reaching the Class A Advanced Florida State League. The Cubs' No. 8 prospect has hit a combined .341/.436/.593 with 10 homers and 36 RBIs, and he already has more than 200 plate appearances under his belt.

Good call, nice power.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/ten-2014-draft-picks-who-have-been-quick-to-click?ymd=20140807&content_id=88391324&vkey=news_mlb

Kyle Schwarber, C/OF, Cubs: Any talk about successful debuts from this class should start with the No. 4 overall pick. This Indiana product signed quickly and has already played at three levels, reaching the Class A Advanced Florida State League. The Cubs' No. 8 prospect has hit a combined .341/.436/.593 with 10 homers and 36 RBIs, and he already has more than 200 plate appearances under his belt.

Good call, nice power.

The Cubbies minor league system is suddenly scary good now. Wonder where they rank nationally, consensus wise? Have to be top 3 you'd think.

Archived