Grade the off-season

atomic

grade the off season  

163 members have voted

1. 1. grade the off season

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how it could be anything but an F. We go into the offseason as a team on the verge of contention. We then downgrade several positions; CL, LF, and SP. Lough could be a decent replacement, but that is to be seen.

We trade our CL to save money. We lose our #4 SP and don't replace him. Our GM consistently talks about adding a veteran SP, and we don't do it. We don't sign our potential closer because of potential medical issues, yet the cheapest team in our division gives him the same contract, essentially. That isn't the only contract nixed after a physical. In and of itself, that's understandable, but the pattern and attention it created possibly resulted in at least one other FA SP not signing here.

No effort was made to extend our upcoming FA, or trade them. There doesn't appear to be any mid range plans for contending during our open window. It seems to be more of the same Orioles. Just stick in the middle until mediocrity sets back in.

Finally, while our payroll has dropped about $10M, and we received an extra $25M from MLB, ticket prices have gone up. This offseason has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster. I agree with Moose, if there was a grade lower than F, they'd get that.

Come on now, you know what I am saying, what others are saying, there is still a chance (slight albeit) that we sign a quality pitcher and maybe even Morales....so I like the poll, it's just too early.

Just vote how you see it now.with spring training going. If we sign someone else in next couple weeks of significance of course your feelings will change and we can have a new poll and we can see how peoples rankings have changed now that we have signed x.

Just vote how you see it now.with spring training going. If we sign someone else in next couple weeks of significance of course your feelings will change and we can have a new poll and we can see how peoples rankings have changed now that we have signed x.

Fair enough and honestly, if I didn't think you had an agenda I would not have said anything, maybe I am wrong and you are just curious, but your previous posting history does not suggest so....

Regardless, it is definitely no better than a D right now, but I am willing to wait until the off-season is fully completed to make a judgement. I do not have much faith that anything of significance will happen, but since the possibility exists.....

What makes you think the offseason is over? Trades can still be made.

I think by definition we have moved from the "off-season" to "spring training" phase of the season, so yeah, it's over.

Trades can be made until July 31, or August 31 with waivers.

It's amusing that so many people are questioning the existence of a poll or stating the the pollster "has an agenda". I'm not even sure what that means? Do they have an opinion, maybe a strong one? Yeah, obviously. But that's what message boards are for.

I don't see the harm in voting on opnions on what the front office has done in the offseason on the eve of spring training. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't know why people seem afraid of having such a vote. It's a discussion board.

D. Only because they didn't fire sale and not sign anyone. They at the very least signed some reasonable contracts to players that will help the club. What they failed to do 100% was shore up DH, 2B, SP and even closer to an extent. Those were glaring weaknesses immediately after Jim Johnson was traded....and they didn't fix any of them.

The team has a 2nd baseman in Ryan.

I gave it a "D" because I feel that we, at best, tread water with this offseason. We are counting on our guys to get better, but with the two-year Davis/Wieters window, I thought we might have went for it this offseason.

There could still be some things in the works. I would really like to see us make some sort of trade for a pitcher making some money that needs a change of scenery. Not sure if there are any of those out there, but I'd like to see that happen.

I still think we wind up signing either Saunders or Capuano, maybe sign Bonifacio, and make a deal or two during the spring.

I think by definition we have moved from the "off-season" to "spring training" phase of the season, so yeah, it's over.

Trades can be made until July 31, or August 31 with waivers.

It's amusing that so many people are questioning the existence of a poll or stating the the pollster "has an agenda". I'm not even sure what that means? Do they have an opinion, maybe a strong one? Yeah, obviously. But that's what message boards are for.

I don't see the harm in voting on opnions on what the front office has done in the offseason on the eve of spring training. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't know why people seem afraid of having such a vote. It's a discussion board.

I only asked the question of him. To me and in my opinion the offseason is not

over. I disagree with him. I never said he had an agenda.

Tough to spin this one in a positive light. I'm very much fine with them not dumping a bunch of money in free agency. I'm not fine, however, with 1) not spending in free agency, 2) not extending any of our core guys or 3) trading away guys DD thinks he may not be able to extend, such as Wieters and Davis.

If you don't think you've got enough bullets to go for it, trade and restock. If you think you're close, either make some trades or sign some damn free agents. We're getting hitting by traffic coming both ways and I'm pretty sure a jetliner is about to land on our heads.

Archived