Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I already did, I laughed.

Me as well.

I worked near little Italy for a few months back in 2003 and I saw Peter Angelos once (99% sure it was him), he pulled into a small, expensive restaurant parking lot, I knew I would probably never enter (sorry, can't remember the name, but I am sure it would be known). I was across the street and saw him get out of his car and kept looking back....thinking that is him....well eventually he saw me. And immediately scoured at me (only way I can put it), of course I kept looking, because it was PA, I mean come on...10 feet away and it was him, no one else at all around, but he kept glowering and then he suddenly stopped walking, stiffened up and pulled on his lapels and really, really glowered at me....well it worked, I felt extremely uncomfortable and went into the cheap diner I was headed to for lunch and he walked into his high priced lunch, never have spoken a word.....ha. But looking back at that, I am disappointed in his reaction to being observed, I mean he is PA, it is to be expected and I was just really shocked that I was seeing him there....it did and does make me think less of the man. Not to mention what transpired in the following years to the O's!

Disclaimer: I understand this was one 2 minute interaction and he has done a lot for Baltimore with his money, just sharing the experience and my reaction.

Me as well.

I worked near little Italy for a few months back in 2003 and I saw Peter Angelos once (99% sure it was him), he pulled into a small, expensive restaurant parking lot, I knew I would probably never enter (sorry, can't remember the name, but I am sure it would be known). I was across the street and saw him get out of his car and kept looking back....thinking that is him....well eventually he saw me. And immediately scoured at me (only way I can put it), of course I kept looking, because it was PA, I mean come on...10 feet away and it was him, no one else at all around, but he kept glowering and then he suddenly stopped walking, stiffened up and pulled on his lapels and really, really glowered at me....well it worked, I felt extremely uncomfortable and went into the cheap diner I was headed to for lunch and he walked into his high priced lunch, never have spoken a word.....ha. But looking back at that, I am disappointed in his reaction to being observed, I mean he is PA, it is to be expected and I was just really shocked that I was seeing him there....it did and does make me think less of the man. Not to mention what transpired in the following years to the O's!

Disclaimer: I understand this was one 2 minute interaction and he has done a lot for Baltimore with his money, just sharing the experience and my reaction.

That was 10 years ago.

Angelos was young and stupid back in those days.

Today, he's older, wiser, and more compassionate at 85.

Gotta give people time to mature.

That was 10 years ago.

Angelos was young and stupid back in those days.

Today, he's older, wiser, and more compassionate at 85.

Gotta give people time to mature.

Are you insane?

Like Malike, I refuse to put those icons on posts that are clearly facetious.

I give everyone (yes, even you) credit for being able to distinguish them.

I don't think you understand who PA is, where he came from, and what his mentality is. Maybe you aren't insane, just poorly informed.

I don't think you understand who PA is, where he came from, and what his mentality is. Maybe you aren't insane, just poorly informed.

OK, I won't give you credit for being able to distinguish between facetiousness and seriousness.

I'm still not using those icons in said posts just for you, though.

OK, I won't give you credit for being able to distinguish between facetiousness and seriousness.

I'm still not using those icons in said posts just for you, though.

Maybe if would define for me what you think facetiousness means, and reference where you think it has been used .

I cannot fathom why people don't want Burnett here. Even on a 1 year, 15 million deal, that'd be a great contract. Burnett clearly changed his approach after joining the Pirates- his GB% shot up, and his walks went down.

The past two seasons in PIT, he racked up 7 fWAR, which is #21 among SP over that time period. Slightly less than the likes of Lester, Sabathia, Latos and Strasburg, and exceeding Zimmerman, Peavy, Bumgarner, and Dickey.

Basically he's been a #1, or TOR, or whatever the heck you want to call it, for two years and 393 IP. I understand that people might be concerned he'd pitch with us like he did with the Yankees, but his adjustments in PIT seem to have made him much less vulnerable to the HR ball and decreased his walks, which were the only real things killing him with NYY.

Other things in his favor- he's been exceptionally durable. He's exceeded 30 starts every year since 2007. He only wants a short term contract, doesn't require a draft pick, and our only competition for him is PIT and retirement. If we're lucky, we may even be able to get him on a 2-year deal to get a lower AAV, like 2/25 or something. He actually strikes people out, something that nobody on our staff can seem to figure out how to do. He's basically a perfect fit for our team.

A.J. Burnett - S - Pirates

According to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the Orioles are waiting on a response from A.J. Burnett before they pursue other free agent starting pitchers.

Burnett is very clearly their top target, but the veteran right-hander is taking his sweet time in determining whether or not he wants to pitch this season. Even if he does decide to return, he would be best served remaining in the National League instead of returning to the hard-hitting American League East.

Related: Orioles

Archived