Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a nice boost to morale if Burnett passed his physical and signed a deal with the Orioles right before the holidays.

If Burnett had a sinus infection within the past few months, the chances of him passing the Orioles' physical are extremely low.

Should this be in the "Christmas Miracle" thread? :scratchchinhmm: :slytf:

I suggest this simply because Burnett could drive in to take a physical today and nobody would know it. That being said, yes, it would be a Christmas miracle for this to actually happen.

If Burnett had a sinus infection within the past few months, the chances of him passing the Orioles' physical are extremely low.

Yeah and all of that ink on his body - possible infections....

I suggest this simply because Burnett could drive in to take a physical today and nobody would know it. That being said, yes, it would be a Christmas miracle for this to actually happen.

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We kinda knew that already, right? I can't name them but Pitt has signed a couple names, one for the rotation I think. They can't afford AJ now. I think it's us or retirement.

We kinda knew that already, right? I can't name them but Pitt has signed a couple names, one for the rotation I think. They can't afford AJ now. I think it's us or retirement.

I've somewhat thought that, but their GM indicated otherwise just a couple weeks ago.

“In A.J.’s situation, it’s completely A.J. Burnett right now,” Huntington said. “Does he want to pitch again next year, and does he want to pitch in Pittsburgh? We’ve worked hard to be patient with A.J. We’ve worked hard to work through the process with him.”

Burnett, 36, has not informed the team whether he will retire, re-join the Pirates or sign elsewhere. The Pirates signed right-hander Edinson Volquez in case Burnett does not return.

“We’ve added a starting pitcher in case A.J decides not to come back, but we’ve kept that door wide open to him,” Huntington said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2013/12/15/Pirates-brass-fields-fan-questions-at-PirateFest/stories/201312150170

If Burnett were worth 4 WAR, I would think the Pirates would be begging for him to come back.

The Pirates would love to have him back.

"In our mind it really doesn't change our position with A.J. at all," said general manager Neal Huntington. "There were only 13 players issued qualifying offers from over 100 free agents. It's a very small percentage of players. It is still our hope and still our goal to have A.J."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/11/05/No-offer-yet-from-Pirates-doesn-t-mean-Burnett-is-gone/stories/201311050062

Also, this is interesting....kind of like our situation..

Finances played a role in the club's decision to forgo making a $14.1 million qualifying offer to Burnett by the 5 p.m. Monday deadline. Although no offer was made, that does not mean the Pirates have given up trying to lure him back.

"Nothing has changed in terms of our situation with A.J.," general manager Neal Huntington said. "This decision is not a reflection of our valuation of A.J. It's more a reflection of our desire to build a championship roster. A $14.1 million (offer) is a significant chunk of our estimated budget for next year."

The Pirates spent about $75 million this season for the players on their 40-man roster. That figure is expected to rise to between $90 million and $100 million next year.

"The challenge is, the valuation of a player and our ability to field a championship roster don't always align," Huntington said.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/5004872-74/burnett-offer-pirates

There must be some way that the O's FO can sweeten things up for Burnett. Like a video-review-equipped limo or chopper from Monkton to OPACY and free all-you-can eat steamed crabs & beer for any acquaintance residing in the Land of Pleasant Living.

Quite honestly I don't want Burnett if he is taking this long to make a decision. I don't want to rely on a guy who's motivation and drive will be in question. I'm also a little concerned about whether he is staying in shape during this decision time. It would be terrible to wait this guy out and he loses 20 games because he never gave a crap in the first place

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Quite honestly I don't want Burnett if he is taking this long to make a decision. I don't want to rely on a guy who's motivation and drive will be in question. I'm also a little concerned about whether he is staying in shape during this decision time. It would be terrible to wait this guy out and he loses 20 games because he never gave a crap in the first place

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Well this is 100%, unadulterated projection.

Archived