Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, over the last three seasons, Garza has put up 5.5 WAR to Jimenez's 2.7. In 50 fewer innings.

And he didn't cost a draft pick.

I think this move is a mistake. The Orioles are going all-in (by giving up 2 picks and lots of money) with a team that's a fringy contender AFTER those moves. We're laying the groundwork to waste Manny Machado's prime in 2017-18.

I don't like it. There's a chance it'll work, but I don't like it.

Your assuming we sign Morales now or did I miss something? I know it's a risk and I don't like giving up the pick either, but for a late prime pitcher with his potential I saw the possible reward out ways the risks. This could be huge over the next 2 years....

Because the chance that he returns to his Cy Young performance of 2008-2009 is pretty darn low?

With the Rockies, he allowed 0.5 HR/9 - the CO park is quite big; it's hitter friendly because it pumps 2Bs and 3Bs, not HRs. With Cleveland, it was 1.0 HR/9. All the rest of his peripherals were pretty similar.

The projection systems put Garza at 2.7/1.9 WAR; Jimenez is at 2.5/1.8.

There's no reason to think that Jimenez will be better than Garza in 2014. Value-wise, they are similar pitchers: Garza has been more consistent year-to-year, but he's had some injury problems.

And they were signed for the same contract but one cost the 17th pick.

And Garza has a pin holding his arm together. Id be shocked if Garza starts 30 games in any of his four seasons with the Brewers.

How do we push Norris out of the rotation? It pushes him into the #5 slot and hopefully pushes Britton, Gausman, et al. from the rotation.

Perhaps, although eventually I'd like to see Gausman claim a rotation spot (and earn it) and Norris moved into the pen, possibly as a closer.

Man, I haven't seen this much excitement around here since the Orioles signed Tex!

:o

Definitely different to see a thread about a probable and then confirmed big signing blow up as opposed to the multi near hundred posts or more threads about players we were never even really in on.....

And Garza has a pin holding his arm together. Id be shocked if Garza starts 30 games in any of his four seasons with the Brewers.

Yeah, I really think we need to let the Garza thing go. With questions about his arm, he was not going to end up here. We are the least likely destination for someone with arm concerns.

Gotta give PA credit for letting his team enter the 21st century. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have to believe this went through him.

Hey, he is at the White House. DD snuck this one through while Peter was away. Man is he going to be pissed when he gets the paper in the morning. :)

If we get 2013 2nd half Jimenez, then this is a steal. If we get any other post 2010 Jimenez, then we've got a $12MM/yr DFA candidate.

In 2011, he was worth 15 million according to Fangraphs (he had a very low FIP, almost the same as last year). Thats not a DFA candidate.

Archived