Heyman: Cruz and O's agree on deal (1 - $8M)

SoBo

Only reason I can see to dislike this signing is because you're worried about character issues. As a player, this signing makes the O's a better team so I like it.

I don't think the concern should be character issues in terms of clubhouse chemistry. He's no Ryan Braun. He was beloved by his Rangers teammates and never trashed by anyone even though he decided to sit out the last 50 games of '13 (greatly hurting the team) rather than playing on and then losing money in free agency. Of course, the decision in itself calls his character into question, but he's not seen as a clubhouse cancer or anything like that.

Biggest concerns would be age and dropoff due to no more PEDs.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collateral matters:

1. Credit to PA if this goes through;

2. More fannies in the seats means increased revenue;

3. Of course, playoff contention improves;

4. More tradeable pieces as ST winds down;

5. More tradeable pieces at the deadline if Urrutia, Schoop, Gausman take off;

6. Corresponding 40 man move;

7. Reimold, Young, Pearce in jeopardy;

8. Seems like a good clubhouse guy (PEDS aside);

9. Maybe our budget will increase to the 110-120 range for the coming years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can confirm <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a> report that Nelson Cruz & Orioles are close. Sides have been talking mainly about 1-year deal, sources said.</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hate the 1 year

It would surprise me.

I don't think the concern should be character issues in terms of clubhouse chemistry. He's no Ryan Braun. He was beloved by his Rangers teammates and never trashed by anyone even though he decided to sit out the last 50 games of '13 (greatly hurting the team) rather than playing on and then losing money in free agency. Of course, the decision in itself calls his character into question, but he's not seen as a clubhouse cancer or anything like that.

Biggest concerns would be age and dropoff due to no more PEDs.

You would have to assume that his season under the threat of suspension was mostly clean last year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can confirm <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a> report that Nelson Cruz & Orioles are close. Sides have been talking mainly about 1-year deal, sources said.</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

Hate the 1 year

Any updates from the @THE_REAL_RICKLI ???... From what I can tell he fell love with Jesus last week....

You really going to offer Nelson Cruz 15.5 million as a QO?

If he is good enough to garner the pick, he is worth 1 year at 15.5.

But it's all about structuring the options and opt out right. I'm not knowledgable enough to define 'right'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I...need financial terms...must know...how pissed I should be...
Cruz, 33, would add another power bat to Baltimore’s lineup, giving the O’s a much-needed threat out of the designated hitter spot. A right-handed hitter, Cruz has at least 22 homers each of the last five seasons and his arrival in Camden Yards, would be mainly as a platoon DH and occasional left field.

Because Cruz rejected a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Rangers, the Orioles will lose a draft pick, their 55th overall, in signing him. But that isn’t seen as a huge obstacle given that Jimenez also had a qualifying offer from the Indians, and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said recently the club would evaluate losing picks on a “case-by-case” basi

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2014/02/22/os-closing-in-on-deal-with-cruz/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Given the climate and the qualifying-offer drag, I'd be surprised if Nelson Cruz deal with O's was for more than one year.</p>— Tim Brown (@TBrownYahoo) <a href="

Archived