Heyman: Cruz and O's agree on deal (1 - $8M)

SoBo

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like Cruz, really.... but I'm to the point where if Duquette and Buck want the guy, I'm on board.

Yah - it appears Kendrys has more "Morales", si?

I wonder how Buck and then Nick and CD can relate to his cheating also....:scratchchinhmm: based upon their previous outspoken comments to the contrary. CD must know him from his years with Texas.

Oh well - if Frobby and Can (WAR only) say Nick will outperform Cruz, then we are in for a good season nonetheless. :clap3:

Going by what he was last season Frobby.

Nick is not someone that the FO is going be afraid to upset at this stage in their relationship.

I wouldn't expect the FO to worry much about any one player's feelings. I just don't view Nick as likely to be a replacement level player in 2014 and I didn't like you slapping that label on him based on one bad year. But you know how I feel about Nick, and I know you are much more detached in your feelings about players. All I will add is that I'm optimistic that the O's will be very interested in keeping Nick in the fold based on what he does in 2014. But that remains to be seen, of course.

Maybe Morales would be a better option but nobody here knows what the demands are. Maybe Cruz is the better option overall and thats why he may be the guy. All this nonsensical talk about Nick being offended over PED use is laughable. Some of you guys are drama queens who should be in the media "creating" issues and stories.

Cruz as a DH will be a big upgrade for this team. Nothing wrong with his bat. Ive watched a lot of Ranger baseball and have no problem with Cruz coming to Baltimore.

No reason to be upset at this point. Allow Dan and Buck to do their thing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source confirms <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> close on Cruz, as first reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a> . Deal expected to be a bargain, well below initial expectations.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cruz was raking last year, we must not forget. 27 dingers, 75 rbi, in about 100 games.

So that is a 40/110 pace. Ok. Yeah. And he was supposedly clean last year because he had the suspension hanging over him from the previous year purchases.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source confirms <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> close on Cruz, as first reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a> . Deal expected to be a bargain, well below initial expectations.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

Prolly done guys.

"well below initial expectations"

hmmm...

Maybe there is still room for Santana as well....

;)

Thanks to DD's recent wheelin' and dealin' - we can now repurpose the wretched joke "Print the Playoff Tickets" - only now it shall be delivered with absolute sincerity.

Getting a potential ace for the going rate of a #4 starter and a 30HR threat for what may be a small bag of marbles - the man is showing his skills. Risks be damned!

I favored Morales, but unless the terms of the deal are huge in terms of money and years, I just can't get too upset. Again, had 6 already in the lineup, 4 pitchers returning to the rotation, and all the pen back but two essentially. Like the supplementation that occurred by getting the likes of Lough, Cruz or Morales, Jiminez, Yoon, Webb, Aceves, De La Cruz, and Young.

I prefer Morales because he gets on base. But whichever morales or Cruz comes at less years and better option terms is the best choice. Really playing he draft pick comp game and it's refreshing to see the Orioles being smart about acquisitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might actually puke if this comes to pass.

At the very least, I'll lose most of my respect for DD.

You were all happy and giddy over Ubaldo and now that the FO may sign Cruz

you can turn against DD that quickly? You talk about a very fickle person. I don't

want Cruz either but I won't turn against DD because of it.

n the Dominican Republic, baseball isn't just a game; it's practically a religion.

The impoverished country is the birthplace of Texas Rangers' outfielder Nelson Cruz. His hometown of Monte Cristi is near the scenic coastline.

It's a poor community, but rich with family and culture.

"He is my brother, a great brother [sic]," said Nelson's sister, Nelsy Montez, through a translator. "He was a calm and obedient child. A very good person."

Nelsy, his youngest sister, gave News 8 a tour. His parents proudly display all of Nelson's trophies and awards. His bedroom is exactly as he left it as a teenager.

"I started to cry as I watched the game," Nelsy said. "I didn't know he would climb so high and the whole world would see him, and he would make his country proud."

His grandmother, Maria Dimentel or as Nelson calls her, Lola, gushes with pride. She watches every game on television.

"He is dear to me," Lola said. "'My love,' I yell, 'You can do it, you can do it! You have the natural talent. Let it fly!'"

What many people don't know about Cruz is that before he was bashing baseballs, he worked until he was 16 as a mechanic working in his uncle's shop.

He started working at the age of 10 on big trucks. His uncle remembered the day little Nelson tried to drive.

"He was in a car, he started it and didn't know how to drive yet," said Uirgilio Cruz Esteves, Nelson's uncle. "He hit a gear, took off and knocked this big post down."

He means the world to his family, who has watched him struggle. They never gave up and were there for him when every major league team passed on him - including the Texas Rangers.

"We suffer when he doesn't do well, but when he's good we go crazy," Cruz Sr. said. "We are his biggest fans."

Mom and dad are successful professors, who taught their son the importance of education and faith.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/baseball/rangers/Nelson-Cruz-family-132114568.html

Archived