Heyman: Cruz and O's agree on deal (1 - $8M)

SoBo

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cards are such a good org... I'm still at a loss over that deal.

It is so whack that it is unreal. I think it is that thing that no one is trading you pitching this year. The Robbie Ray thing was the only real blip there. I think after trying Hardy, and being unwilling to give up a first round pick for off-injured Drew, that they saw it as only money. I guess. They can't make a trade without giving up someone that they shouldn't.

Free agent slugger Nelson Cruz is close to a deal with the Orioles, according to people familiar with the deal.

The Cruz signing, once finalized, would be the second major signing within days for Baltimore, which is obviously going for it now. The Orioles will have one of the better lineups in baseball once Cruz is in the fold.

There are still a couple issues to be resolved, according to sources, though a deal looks extremely likely.

The Orioles also had been talking to Kendrys Morales, another free agent hitter. Morales had other opportunities, though, including the Mariners and possibly the Pirates.

Reports suggested Morales was a strong possibility throughout the day Friday, but Orioles decision makers were "split" on Cruz vs. Morales, Roch Kubatko of MASN @masnRoch reported Friday night. One possible difference is that Cruz may not have had many other alternatives.

The Orioles also have remained in contact with top free-agent pitcher Ervin Santana, though it hasn't known how a Cruz signing would affect a possible Santana deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24452199/sources-orioles-closing-in-on-a-deal-for-nelson-cruz

Dan kept his powder dry.

If we get Cruz I'd have to imagine any further talk of getting Santana should be put to rest, no? I can't imagine the recent Santana rumors were true.

The Cruz signing is a solid move. Still, I think if the O's make a legit run this year it will be because Wieters, Markakis have strong years. Improved pitching or not, if Wieters can't give us some Varitek like numbers and Markakis can't drive the ball, no playoffs for us.

Archived