Orioles still in the market for one more SP + late inning RP (Update: Johan Santana signed)

fearthenoodle

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana’s minor lge deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a>: $3M base in MLB, $5.05M available in bonuses. 5/30 opt-out date</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="
">March 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That seems like an early opt-out date.

Seems pretty reasonable. By 5/30, both the team and Johan should have an idea if he's ready to be on the big club.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana’s minor lge deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a>: $3M base in MLB, $5.05M available in bonuses. 5/30 opt-out date</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

I don't really see the opt-out as an obstacle. He can be added to the ML roster and place on the DL if he's not ready.

Completely agree. He's got a lot of ground to make up in order to be ML ready.

All of my inner hatred is turning into niceness, I don't know what to do.

You think that is bad, I helped on old lady cross the street this morning instead of honking my horn and telling her to get outta the way you dumb broad! (not sure how one spells broad..lol)

I blame Duquette...

You think that is bad, I helped on old lady cross the street this morning instead of honking my horn and telling her to get outta the way you dumb broad! (not sure how one spells broad..lol)

I blame Duquette...

You should have got out of your car and flipped the bird in her face! When she got offended you tell her the bird is a good thing! I am going to try it now.

Dudes "fastball" is topping out at 78mph (slower than my fastball) and we are giving him 3m? Personally I dont care how much they give him, its not my money, but how is he worth that? Thwy must know something we dont, like Johan is having a new bionic arm installed to replace the noodle that he has now.

Dudes "fastball" is topping out at 78mph (slower than my fastball) and we are giving him 3m? Personally I dont care how much they give him, its not my money, but how is he worth that? Thwy must know something we dont, like Johan is having a new bionic arm installed to replace the noodle that he has now.

He doesn't automatically get 3M, from my understanding. If we add him to the ML roster at some point, then he gets paid a portion of that 3M for however long he stays in the majors. If I'm correct, that would mean if he's up here for half the year (which is a pretty optimistic scenario), he gets 1.5M.

It was a few MPH higher than that, it was the first time he has thrown and it was not off a mound. Give him a little time to strengthen the arm, and he will pick up some velocity. He is not going to throw like he did with the Twins, but I also don't think he is going to go out there and embarrass himself. It's going to take a little time; I don't think we can draw any conclusions based on his first workout post-surgery.

Archived