Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers

xian4

Well in that case our main back up inf will be our starting second baseman, Flaherty. Moving him over to short and bringing Lambardozzi off of the bench to play second means you won't lose anything defensively.

But thats not what Duke said, he didn't say anything about moving guys around on the diamond during the game he said:

but your first utility player needs to be able to play shortstop

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But thats not what Duke said, he didn't say anything about moving guys around on the diamond during the game he said:[/quote

I've posted this many times on this site. I think Flaherty should be our super utility player because he can play six positions. If he is and starts the season at third, because of Manny, the O's would be using their UT player in that case. They would then need someone to replace the UT position. That would argue for keeping Casilla, since Lombardozzi plays second. Now, when Manny returns, Casilla is the odd man out and Flaherty returns to his super UT role. IMO. Of course all of this is predicated on what Buck wants to do with Flaherty/Lombardozzi at second base. BTW, with all do respect to DD, as the manager, Buck will make the final decision as to whether his UT player has to play shortstop or how much experience he needs at SS.

Wow, DD- at least hook up the Slip-n-Slide if you're going to hose someone that badly. I mean, Lombardozzi isn't exactly an impact guy but he is only 25 with minor league options remaining and some modest success at the Major League level under his belt(.317 OBP in 400+ PAs as a 23 year old in 2012). Nothing against Gonzalez, but his career is basically on life support at this point.

Dombrowski actually somehow managed to make the Fister deal look even worse. Impressive.

Achievement unlocked, I guess... :noidea:

Good trade. Lombardozzi is a borderline Major Leaguer but given the age difference and position flexibility he seems more valuable than Gonzalez for sure.

I want Weeks or Schoop on the team and playing 2b over Lombardozzi though just for the sake of potential.

I love this deal! I've always liked Lombardozzi when he was with the Nats, but that's mainly due to the fact I had his dad on my fantasy team back in the day. I think I had an injury to Lou Whitaker one year and the only other 2nd baseman I had on my roster was Steve Sr. He was terrible but I kept trotting him out there much to the chagrin of the other owners in the league.

Buck likes some "scrapiness"!
Ok so he's scrappy, gritty, a gamer, a grinder, pulls himself up by his bootstraps and guts it out. But I don't think he's actually any good.

He's 25. Has had 755 PA. Probably a little early to say he's not any good. Nice minor league career at an early age.

Archived