The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

Game 16, April 19

Schoop made an error on a possible DP ball in the 1st, that allowed a run to score from 3B.

On a safety squeeze in the 7th, Davis charged and gloved the bunt cleanly but had a little trouble transferring the ball to his throwing hand and the throw was late.

Davis just missed a spectacular diving grab of a foul bunt earlier in that inning. Great effort there. He also jumped on top of the tarp to try to get to a foul pop, and managed not to twist his ankle, fall into the crowd or knock over two beers that were sitting on the ledge between the field and the stands.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 17, April 20

This game was a defensive nightmare. Leading 5-3, we let Boston get a rally going when Flaherty dropped a ball transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand to try to complete a DP, and everyone was called safe. Later, with the bases loaded and one one, Schoop fielded a ball deep behind 3B and threw home, a poor one-hop throw not at the plate that Wieters couldn't handle. Then, for the coup de grace, Lough caught a line drive, made an off-line throw that Schoop didn't cut off, and it was far wide of the plate and the winning run scored on a play where the runner (Pedroia, of course) had no serious intention of trying to score until Lough's throw went bouncing into the night.

I didn't see this game live, but from the comments in the game thread it seems like Schoop didn't get to a couple of balls that Manny would have handled, and Lombardozzi made a poor throw that gave away an out.

I could use some help here from those who watched this game. I had the feeling we made at least 3-4 poor plays in this one.

I didn't see this game live, but from the comments in the game thread it seems like Schoop didn't get to a couple of balls that Manny would have handled, and Lombardozzi made a poor throw that gave away an out.

I could use some help here from those who watched this game. I had the feeling we made at least 3-4 poor plays in this one.

I didn't get home until the 8th. I think Steve could of set his feet and fired to first in the 9th instead of the off balance throw but if he makes the out then of course I don't bring that up. I think Steve has been at times inconsistent at 2nd. I didn't see the Schoop plays. Our whole infield defense until Manny and JJ get back is a big concern for me right now.

The two hits that Manny would have probably nabbed were Holt's single off of Schoop's glove in the 7th (it didn't require a great leap) and Bogaert's single to Schoop's glove-side in the 8th. Fortunately, neither one scored, but they both added a lot of stress and pitches to the innings.

Game 19, April 22

Lombardozzi charged a slow hopper and couldn't pick up the ball, for an error. The runner later scored on Encarnacion's homer.

There was a play where a slicing liner was hit to left CF that Jones charged, but it bounced well before he got to it and it got past him. Fortunately, Cruz was right where he should have been, backing up the play, and he prevented what could have been a single being misplayed into a triple. Score one for Cruz.

The Orioles record in games in which THEY DO NOT make an error:

9-5

The Orioles' record in games in which THEY DO make at least one error:

0-5

https://twitter.com/masnRoch

Pitching and defense has been 60-70% of the key to success in major league baseball for over 100 years, and it probably always will be.

A large percentage of Oriole errors seem to be leading to unearned runs so far this season.

As for statement about pitching and defense, as the strikeout rate improves the need for defense declines.

The Orioles record in games in which THEY DO NOT make an error:

9-5

The Orioles' record in games in which THEY DO make at least one error:

0-5

https://twitter.com/masnRoch

Pitching and defense has been 60-70% of the key to success in major league baseball for over 100 years, and it probably always will be.

A large percentage of Oriole errors seem to be leading to unearned runs so far this season.

As for statement about pitching and defense, as the strikeout rate improves the need for defense declines.

I'm not doubting that you are correct (I'm sure that you are), but I'm curious to know something about the final 2/3 (and especially the final 1/3) of the Orioles' 2012 season, when our defense was lights-out ....... did our strikeout rate from our pitchers improve, or was the final 110 games (and ESPECIALLY the final 55 games) an anomaly to the correlation that you alluded to (in other words, did we have excellent defense IN SPITE OF having a not particularly strikeout rate from our pitchers?)

Thanks in advance. :)

I'm not doubting that you are correct (I'm sure that you are), but I'm curious to know something about the final 2/3 (and especially the final 1/3) of the Orioles' 2012 season, when our defense was lights-out ....... did our strikeout rate from our pitchers improve, or was the final 110 games (and ESPECIALLY the final 55 games) an anomaly to the correlation that you alluded to (in other words, did we have excellent defense IN SPITE OF having a not particularly strikeout rate from our pitchers?)

I was thinking about making a post today called Swimming Against The Current, in which I would rehash how the O's are basically going against more efficient ways to win games (OBP and Strikeouts) and are instead embracing power and defense.

Then I decided that it really was a rehash and I wouldn't be adding much new to the conversation.

The O's strikeout rate isn't improving to the degree that other teams' are, therefor defense is correspondingly more important for this team then it is for say Detroit.

I was thinking about making a post today called "Swimming Against The Current," in which I would rehash how the O's are basically going against more efficient ways to win games (OBP and Strikeouts), and are instead embracing power and defense.

Then I decided that it really would just be a rehash, and I wouldn't be adding much new to the conversation.

The O's strikeout rate isn't improving to the degree that other teams' are, therefor defense is correspondingly more important for this team then it is for say, Detroit.

OK thanks, Corn.

I owe you a greenie. :)

Game 21, April 24

Very nice 7-6-2 relay play from Lough to Hardy to Wieters. I thought Hardy's throw was particularly good.

Might get blasted for this one but that's how I see the play working out if Schoop relayed Lough's throw to the plate a few days ago.

Might get blasted for this one but that's how I see the play working out if Schoop relayed Lough's throw to the plate a few days ago.

Pedroia wouldn't have gone home if the ball didn't go past Schoop. He was racing back to 3B as the ball arrived.

Archived