The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

Not sure where this qualifies for the thread, but I thought it was noteworthy that Ortiz attempted to bunt against Matusz with the defense shifted. He missed, which put him down two strikes, resulting in a strikeout.

I believe the Napoli groundout in the 5th may have been a base hit up the middle but turned into a groundout due to the shift. (It was great timing because the Sox announcers were complaining about the shift during Ortiz's previous AB).

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Flaherty, playing in short RF in a shift, waved off Nick Markakis on a high fly ball down the RF line and then dropped it for a two base error.

- Manny took a tough hop right down the foul line deep behind 3B, then fired a laser across the diamond to beat the runner by two full steps. A good example of why he's still in the lineup every day. The announcers said it was his second tough play in the game, but I didn't see the first one. (Edit - just saw the first play on SportsCenter. It was a bouncer behind 3B where Manny made a strong throw. Good play, not as tough as the second one.)

- Nick made a nice catch at the RF wall, snagging a very high fly ball over the bullpen roof that would have been a homer. Not an amazing catch, but a very good one.

This is a good place to mention that Fangraphs has Nick at +11.6 UZR/150 and Jones at +13.2. The OF defense has been very good this year.

Another example of Flaherty not looking near as good on defense as he did in 2013.

And yes the outfield gains are nice considering how the infield defense has not been near as tight this season.

Another example of Flaherty not looking near as good on defense as he did in 2013.

And yes the outfield gains are nice considering how the infield defense has not been near as tight this season.

Except for that diving grab on Ortiz Monday night....and to clarify you have no personal "ill-will" against him right? ;)

Except for that diving grab on Ortiz Monday night....and to clarify you have no personal "ill-will" against him right? ;)

He made plays like that in 2013. He certainly isn't making NO plays out there, just not as many as last season.

I was a bit offended by the accusation.

Why in the world would I have a personal animus toward Flaherty? I have never met the kid for goodness sake.

He made plays like that in 2013. He certainly isn't making NO plays out there, just not as many as last season.

I was a bit offended by the accusation.

Why in the world would I have a personal animus toward Flaherty? I have never met the kid for goodness sake.

Need to use the sarcasm emoticon.

Game 65, June 12

- Terrific 5-3-5 DP with Chris Davis alertly throwing back across the diamond to nab Reyes trying to go from 2B to 3B.

- Joseph picked up a line-hugging bunt at the last feasible moment and fired off balance to beat Gose by a step. Later, he picked up one down the 1B line and flipped the ball into Reyes' back while he was illegally in the base line. Either alert or lucky, depending whether you think he did it on purpose.

- Nice 6-4-3 DP to end the game. Tie goes to the defense. ;)

In the previous game, which I didn't see, Nick threw out the Mole Rat trying for a double. Clip here: http://baltimoresportsreport.com/gif-nick-markakis-throws-out-dustin-pedroia-52411.html

• 3 weeks later...

Game 83, July 1

This thread has been too quiet lately. My fault.

Davis failed to grab a hard hit just to his glove side, scored as a double but it led to two runs.

Three DPs including a really nifty 4-6-3 where Schoop was moving towards 1B but still made a lightning quick, accurate throw to Hardy who made a very quick relay throw to nab the speedy Andrus. Flaherty also started a nice 5-4-3 DP, and made a diving play on a hot smash at 3B.

Davis made a nice scoop on a Hardy throw in the 9th.

I normally don't comment on the other team's defense, but Andrus' muff of a bases loaded DP ball led to 4 runs was a key to this game.

Game 83, July 1

This thread has been too quiet lately. My fault.

Davis failed to grab a hard hit just to his glove side, scored as a double but it led to two runs.

Three DPs including a really nifty 4-6-3 where Schoop was moving towards 1B but still made a lightning quick, accurate throw to Hardy who made a very quick relay throw to nab the speedy Andrus. Flaherty also started a nice 5-4-3 DP, and made a diving play on a hot smash at 3B.

Davis made a nice scoop on a Hardy throw in the 9th.

I normally don't comment on the other team's defense, but Andrus' muff of a bases loaded DP ball led to 4 runs was a key to this game.

It looked like the groundball that Davis missed hit the edge of the grass cutout at firstbase and skipped to the left of his glove. It just had a strange hop.

• 4 weeks later...

Game 101, July 24

- Great scoop throw from Chen to Joseph to keep Jones from scoring on Cano's swinging bunt in the 1st.

- Nice diving catch by Nick in the 1st.

- Chen jumped to catch a chopper over his head and prevented a single.

- Joseph jumped on a Cano topper right in front of the plate before it could spin foul.

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/30)

4 innings into the game, and 2 excellent defensive plays have already been made by the Orioles.

Nick Markakis' made a diving catch to end the 3rd inning.

Manny Machado went WAY beyond the 3rd baseline to backhand the ball, and threw it to Steve Pearce (who also made a nice adjustment and stretch) to end the 4th inning.

12 up, 12 down so far for Gausman.

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/30)

4 innings into the game, and 2 excellent defensive plays have already been made by the Orioles.

Manny Machado went WAY beyond the 2rd baseline to backhand the ball, and threw it to Steve Pearce (who also made a nice adjustment and stretch) to end the 4th inning.

Must have been a heck of a shift.

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/30)

Manny Machado went WAY beyond the 3rd baseline to backhand the ball, and threw it to Steve Pearce (who also made a nice adjustment and stretch) to end the 4th inning.

Must have been a heck of a shift.

Thanks.

I fixed it.

Have a greenie.

Archived