Orioles C Matt Wieters to visit Dr. James Andrews

Greg

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt has had a great month but it is much more likely that he revert to his production from the last five years then he maintain this month for the whole year. Not sure he is anything other then an average DH at best. I believe his main asset is his defense. Throwing out runners but also, managing the pitching staff he knows so well. Listening to Bud Norris on MLB radio today, he lauded Matt on his baseball knowledge. Apparently, Matt has become a quiet team leader. Oh well, nothing to do today but hope for the best.

Matt has had a great month but it is much more likely that he revert to his production from the last five years then he maintain this month for the whole year. Not sure he is anything other then an average DH at best. I believe his main asset is his defense. Throwing out runners but also, managing the pitching staff he knows so well. Listening to Bud Norris on MLB radio today, he lauded Matt on his baseball knowledge. Apparently, Matt has become a quiet team leader. Oh well, nothing to do today but hope for the best.

And drink.

I don't believe that the O's margin of error is high enough to lose 2 wins and still contend.
They have arguably lost a win apiece from Hardy, Machado, and Davis already. As well as 3/5 SP's undeperforming significantly. And they have the hardest schedule in the league. But they are still in first place.

Losing ~3 wins from Hardy/Machado/Davis in the first month is more impactful than losing ~2 wins over the next 5 months too.

Arguable, indeed. It is so arguable, it is moot. You can't take formulas, like WAR, and say anything definitively about a team's Won-Loss record. Any speculation about the correlation with actual wins and losses is merely a guess.

I don't believe that the O's margin of error is high enough to lose 2 wins and still contend.

"Do you realize that replacing Wieters with Clevenger/Joseph does not mean that the Orioles will win two fewer games this year?"

You're right it could be more than two, the way Matt has been playing.

Exactly! Or fewer than two...nobody can say for sure.

If anything, this might benefit the Orioles in extension talks with Matt.

DD: "Matt, we love ya and want you to remain an Oriole, but look how easy your career can take a hit. We'll extend you right now for 5 years/80 million, but we want you to play out the season, at least until we are out of the race, and get your surgery in the offseason."

I just wonder how TJ surgery affects a catcher, if it comes to that. I can't think of an elite catcher that has had to come back from that and how they performed afterward. I know the success rate is high for pitchers now, but there are often some mechanical adjustments that are necessary. I just wonder how that would work with a catcher and how it would affect his defensive ability.

I was thinking the same thing about how this might affect extension talks, but I just don't know of much evidence to show how catchers bounce back post-surgery. I am sure Boras will have some sort of binder together within 15 minutes if surgery is necessary, although we all hope it does not come to that.

Why? Are catchers somehow immune from UCL injuries?

Not "immune," no. But their arms aren't generally put under the types of stress pitchers experience so the fact that he might be having UCL issues (and especially so early into the season) is weird to say the least.

Do you realize that replacing Wieters with Clevenger/Joseph does not mean that the Orioles will win two fewer games this year?

That was the hypothetical in the post that I quoted. Of course there could be a wide degree of variance.

Hypothesis: Losing two fewer games would NOT break the O's season.

NotGraphs takes a stab at what the next few weeks will look like:

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/your-latest-matt-wieters-injury-news-here/

5/6: Has MRI on elbow.

5/7: Scheduled to see Dr. Andrews.

5/8: Scheduled to see Julie Andrews.

5/9: Cast in upcoming Sound of Music Live 2: The All-Stars of Sport Climb Every Mountain

5/10: Rehearsals for Sound of Music Live 2 begin.

5/11: Wieters suffers slight case of laryngitis.

5/12: Wieters scheduled to see throat doctor. Doctor prescribes rest and hot liquids.

5/13: Wieters drinks tea, burns tongue. Sound of Music Live 2 places him on 3-day DL.

5/14: While recovering from tongue burn, Wieters reaches for television remote control, strains shoulder.

5/15: Strained shoulder is resolved.

5/16: Tongue burn is resolved.

5/17: Laryngitis is resolved.

5/18: Wieters resumes rehearsals for Sound of Music Live 2.

5/19: Wieters stumbles over new words to My Favorite Things, reprinted here:

Manny Machado and Nicky Markakis

Signing Ubaldo looks like a mistake. Is

Jonathan Schoop better than he appears

Nelson Cruz trying to earn the fans’ cheers

Zach Britton’s finding a home in the bullpen

With O’Day and Hunter it’s kind of a full pen

Jones, Hardy, Davis have all started slow

Off to see Andrews, Matt Wieters did go

5/20: Wieters trips over a girl who is sixteen, going on seventeen. Hurts his elbow.

5/21: Sent for MRI.

5/22: Repeat visit to Dr. Andrews, who reminds him he never followed up after the first visit.

5/23: Wieters has Tommy John Surgery.

Next April: Wieters rejoins cast of Sound of Music Live 2.

NotGraphs takes a stab at what the next few weeks will look like:

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/your-latest-matt-wieters-injury-news-here/

Sliders and cutters and off speed pitch issues.

Jones up with men on has me reaching for tissues.

Why can't our guys ever run up a count?

If your in the jungle just hack your way out.

When the ball slides,

when the runners die,

when we need no pies

I simply remember what it is that Buck says

"Hey, I really like our guys"!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Matt Wieters elbow MRI has been reviewed by Dr. James Andrews and he's is not considered a candidate for surgery, according to a source</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Matt Wieters elbow MRI has been reviewed by Dr. James Andrews and he's is not considered a candidate for surgery, according to a source</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wieters likely will rest some more before catching again. But it is believed he should be able to DH during that time.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

Archived