MLB.com: Monday Afternoon MacPhail Quotes

dkdc

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can AJ let it slip and the O's still deny? Because AJ isn't bound by the same contractual rules that GMs are bound by, that is why.

I could give a crap anymore, I just want an announcement because every fifth post is just pissing me off.

Um...hello? McFly?

What contractual rules are GM's bound by to say something as simple as "I can't comment further, but we are working on a deal." Where's the harm in that?

Or is MacPhail lying to the media?

The only saving grace is Boom Boom's brilliant post from a few weeks ago that outlined MacPhail's trade history. That's it, that's the only glimmer of hope left.

I admit, when I heard about this last night I was pretty excited too, even though deep down I should have known better. This offseason will be remembered as the time Andy MacPhail gave the OH a giant case of blue balls, IMO.

Guest oriofan8
To me, it does not seem like we know any more than we did yesterday. People are freaking out over quotes from AM, but in reality we really have no idea what is going on. It's a bit early to say "bye bye orioles forever" when Chruchuill just said that he definitely thinks the deal is going to happen just 2 hours ago. I just don't see the need to freak out over this just yet.

I don't think it's the fact that there are no "facts". I feel like the "other" team seems to know some things....and we are being treated like "school children"...I don't like being a life-long fan...and being kept, not only, in the dark....but decieved as well.

I'm a lil "torked"...can ya tell ??

I'm confused.

We all want action, but if we weren't upset with AM three days ago, then why now? What changed? He didn't tell us about a trade and then change his mind. He didn't break a promise.

I think some of the haters need to chill.

100% agree. I'm actually at a loss as to why some are considering typical AM quotes as evidence that the deal is done. Belkast said tuesday initially anyways, and Churchill and others have said that Jones (if he is indeed on his way to b'more) will get in too late to take the physical today. Combined with the angelos news, I would not expect anything to be announced really soon either, but that does not mean the deal is done.

I'm confused.

We all want action, but if we weren't upset with AM three days ago, then why now? What changed? He didn't tell us about a trade and then change his mind. He didn't break a promise.

I think some of the haters need to chill.

Because Jones is in Baltimore now most likely "on hold," and MacPhail is acting like nothing is going to happen. Either he's thinking the fanbase is dumb enough to buy that, or the Orioles have once again pulled the rug out from under Bavasi...

Why can't he just say "we can't comment on ongoing negotiations" instead of denying the whole thing? That's extremely poor PR, and this franchise doesn't need any more of that.

He's making reporters and the media look really bad here, and he's looking like a jacka** as well. You don't see Billy Beane pull this crap...

It just doesn't add up that this is all posturing and we're still negotiating.

First off, why would the M's play mind games with their own players. If there was even a remote possibilty that this deal isn't finalized, would you flat out tell two of your players that they are being traded pending a physical? ESPN is reporting the Jones & Sherrill both have said they are going to Baltimore for physicals. This isn't some 3rd party or agent saying this, it's directly from the player's mouth.

Also, why would Seattle pull Jones from the championship game. Aside from being a total **** move to the Latin club, theres no reason to burn this bridge if it's not a done deal. Given that Latin players aren't draft eligable and are essentially free agents, would you want negative press in Latin American for pulling their #3 hitter in game 4 of their World Series?

Combined with the fact that somebody told the local Seattle writers that this deal was done, so much so that they actually went ahead and reported it. I don't think a journalist would put their credibilty on the line if they were't 100% sure this was a done deal. Why would the Seattle FO throw them under the bus like that and give them a false story. The last thing they need is the local beat writers writing articles about why the GM is horrible and should be fired in every column.

Given all the above and our past track record, if this thing falls apart I'm 99% sure its on our end. I'd be very leary about doing business with the O's if I were another MLB club.

The Associated Press picked up this story, with some subtly more encouraging quotes from MacPhail:

BALTIMORE — Erik Bedard is still a member of the Baltimore Orioles, although there are signs the left-hander might soon be headed to the Seattle Mariners.

In an effort to rebuild an organization that has endured 10 straight losing seasons, Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail has been actively seeking to trade Bedard for prospects. He appears close to working out a deal with the Mariners, but insisted Monday that a trade was not necessarily imminent.

"There really is no change. We are still having discussions, but we don't have an agreement," MacPhail said.

MacPhail said he didn't expect that to change "over the next few days," but added, "anything can happen."

In other words, "The ball is your court, Bill."

Guest oriofan8
The Associated Press picked up this story, with some subtly more encouraging quotes from MacPhail:

In other words, "The ball is your court, Bill."

Now doesn't that almost sound like intentional deception ??? grrrrr:mad:

Our MLB reporter for the orioles sucks. How can you miss this quote in the AP article:

"There really is no change. We are still having discussions, but we don't have an agreement," MacPhail said.

Here is the MLB.com Fordin quote:

"As I said last night, we don't have an agreement with Seattle or any other team," he said. "I'm not expecting anything in the next few days and I'd be surprised if anything developed in the next few days."

The AP quote makes me feel so much better than the garbage in the MLB.com article that made me feel that the deal was just about dead. The MLB article said nothing about still being in discussions. That changes the whole perception of the situation. Fordin's tone makes Am sound pissed and the deal dead but the AP writer is more anything can happen.

Archived